Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I am looking for a (preferably) wargame, that can be played by 3, 4 or 5 players (ok, if it can be played by 2 also, its fine, but thats not the main goal). I am thinking of something that can fit within an evening (lets say 2-4 hours). I have to admit that I tend to be more of a wargamer than a eurogamer. This doesnt mean that I cannot like euro's, or that it must involve war, just that I prefer that there is some historical or 'realistic' subject to the game.

I have of course been looking around, and am at the moment considering three rather different games, which make it all more difficult. If you have any experience with these games, please feel free to share them, otherwise any other suggestions are more than welcome.

My present finds:

Successors - looks like a fun game, with a great historical theme, and seems to fit with my love of Hannibal. However, it might be a long game, and I have heard the 'complaint' that it tend to be very chaotic and difficult to 'control'.

Friedrich
- also seems great, if a bit more abstract as a wargame than most. However, again play-time might be long, and I am wondering what is the right number of players for this game. Eg is it fun to play russia...?

Imperial - moving into the eurogame area. This looks like a fun game, but certainly more econimic than historical. Seems to fit well within an evening. My main concern is, that this does not really have the elements of history or wargame, that I normally enjoy.

Ok, this is about it. Let me know what you think, and do not hesitate to let me know of other games that you think fit better to what I am looking for.

Cheers,
Rasmus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun and Wallenstein (first edition) are euro style wargames for multiple players.
Sword of Rome supports 5 players
Kingmaker supports up to 7

I'm sure there are more, but it's way late and i can't think of any others off the top of my head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you know what you are talking about...
Here I Stand for three, War of the Ring (First Edition) [not the expansion] for four and of course Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Struggle of Empires is a mix between "eurogame" and "wargame" preferably played by 4-5 I think.

If you're looking for a more real wargame (the stuff with hexes) try out Victory: The Blocks of War. Can be played by two, but you can form teams to play it, if with more players. If you buy some extra colors you can play it with 3-4. Not sure if 5 colors are provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

Great game, great bits, great 3,4,,5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
If you're looking for a more real wargame (the stuff with hexes) try out Victory: The Blocks of War. Can be played by two, but you can form teams to play it, if with more players. If you buy some extra colors you can play it with 3-4. Not sure if 5 colors are provided.

There are six colors: red and blue (included in the base game) and orange, green, gray and black as expansions. Columbia Games seems not to offer the Elite expansions for all colours currently, though.

I once played a four player Victory game some time ago, but it was a little bit static. I like Victory, but I think it needs better scenarios than those included in the rules book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) although it will hit the upper range of your time limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies - Unless someone makes a colossal mistake, I think this one would go too long for your time limit.

Ah the card driven wargames. By just reading the cards you will be exposed to a lot of history.
Here I Stand - I haven't played this one but I would think this is out of your time range.

Sword of Rome - A favorite of mine but you're looking at a minimum of 5-6 hours for the 6-turn game and more for the full 9 turns! This one is best planned for two nights or a long day.

Successors - My current favorite of the multi-player CDGs, 3-5 hrs, depending on how you play, there are many ways to win, and the number of players. For your time limit I'd go with 3 players.

"...and I have heard the 'complaint' that it tend to be very chaotic and difficult to 'control'." I don't know what you mean by difficult to control but it is certainly chaotic but I think it fits well with the history of the successor wars, backstabbing, assasinations, changing alliances, political marriages - it could be a Mexican soap opera. Maybe chaotic isn't the right word since it isn't uncontrollable chaos caused by the game itself but by the many choices available to the players because of the multiple paths to victory. Players can try for the Legitimacy victory, become Regent, or go for the victory point victory in the end game.

The Napoleonic Wars - 1-4+hrs - Because games can end at the end of any turn this can be a quick game but it can also go the distance and last a long time. It will probably fit your time constraints if you limit it to 3-4 players.

Friedrich - 3hrs+, A great game but if Prussia is going to win then it is going to be a long game unless the deck it skewed highly in Prussia's favor, not likely! And yes it is fun to play all the factions.

War of the Ring - 3-5 hrs Another favorite. Can go long for new people to the game. Either 2-player or 4-player. I think the lone fellowship player in 3-player has a distinct advantage especially with Shadow players of different experience levels.

Any of the eurogames mentioned will take less time to play but I think you sacrifice a little of the historicity flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II is our choice for multiple players and aggressive conflict. The always-different board and the units tied to terrain type make for interesting strategies each time. If you play with some alternate ending rules, 2-4 hours is quite doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A Game of Thrones (first edition) plays 3 to 5. The expansion adds but is not critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

A bit of a ways off still, but Multi-Man is planning to put What Price Glory? up on their pre-order list in the near future. World War I, entire European theater on both fronts (or just one if you prefer), 2, 3, or 4 players. I'd guess play time at about three hours. It appears the game will release the western front as a two-player game to start and then a second piece will complete the set and rules will combine both fronts. I played the working copy at MMP's convention this past January and very much enjoyed it.

Area-Impulse. Part of their IGS line.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RLarsen wrote:
Imperial - moving into the eurogame area. This looks like a fun game, but certainly more econimic than historical. Seems to fit well within an evening. My main concern is, that this does not really have the elements of history or wargame, that I normally enjoy.

Imperial
has a Diplomacy-like abstractness to it, and similarly ahistorical, particularly when it comes to movement and combat resolution. To resolve a battle, units of the lesser force are eliminated together with an equal amount of units from the larger force. Actually, Diplomacy is relatively bloodless unless the lesser units have nowhere to retreat. The combat resolution system could more accurately be compared to that of Vinci.

There is also the counter-intuitive tactic of committing your units to battles in order to reduce the size of one's army/navy payroll.

That having been said, Imperial is an excellent multiplayer Euro-game of investment and conquest best played with 4-6 players..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

An amazing bunch of great suggestions.
Thanks a lot to all. Now you have made it even more difficult for me to choose!!

Considering that some games, no matter how good, are a bit too far on the non-historical side (such as Viktory II) or probably a bit too long (such as Here I stand), I think I eventually will be choosing among the following.

Friedrich and Successors still, but now also Sword of Rome (maybe also long?), Napoleonic Wars, and Struggle of Empires.

I am not sure about A&A - played it a lot in high school (...20 years ago! christ! gulp ), and have not really felt like it since. Well, maybe I should.

For this round, maybe I will also sit out on Imperial, but it certainly is still a game I would like to get to know better. (Diplomacy was also a great high school hit)

Again, thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

A bit of a ways off still, but Multi-Man is planning to put What Price Glory? up on their pre-order list in the near future. World War I, entire European theater on both fronts (or just one if you prefer), 2, 3, or 4 players. I'd guess play time at about three hours. It appears the game will release the western front as a two-player game to start and then a second piece will complete the set and rules will combine both fronts. I played the working copy at MMP's convention this past January and very much enjoyed it.

Sag.

This one is not on the MMP site yet, right?
Sounds cool!
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
RLarsen wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.

Sounds cool!
Ras

That's correct. Sorry for getting your hopes up early, but worth keeping an eye out for it. I believe the Western Front will be available for pre-order in the first half of 2009.

Card driven with an interesting cascading effect, the one deck represents tactical decisions in the field while the other represents global events, well steeped in the history. Actual historic events such as treaties and the transition of heads of state are played as cards to change the mix of rules on the board.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
RLarsen wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.

Sounds cool!
Ras

That's correct. Sorry for getting your hopes up early, but worth keeping an eye out for it. I believe the Western Front will be available for pre-order in the first half of 2009.

Card driven with an interesting cascading effect, the one deck represents tactical decisions in the field while the other represents global events, well steeped in the history. Actual historic events such as treaties and the transition of heads of state are played as cards to change the mix of rules on the board.

Sag.

This sounds really cool.
Thanks for the hint - will be looking forward to it.

But till then, I better buy something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.