Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I am just curious if my games are typical or not in regards to fish building up near the end of the game. Does this seem to happen to other people during their games.

Last night the special building that allows 1 fish to be sold for 2 francs (up to 7 times) showed up and there was around 14 fish on that spot so I grabbed it to have extra food (just in case) and sold what was left over at the end of the game.

Without that building though, I have a feeling the fish would not have been taken (well, I guess someone might have to make sure they were covered for food eventually)

Thoughts
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, often fish (along with the other elementary goods such as wood) build up at the end of the game, as they aren't needed much by then. Likely you have found a more economical way to feed your workers by then, so, unless you get a card for a fish industry, they will likely go to waste. I sometimes take a big pile of wood late, and turn it to charcoal, rather than collect coal, but really, it's not unusual to see big piles of basic goods sitting around during the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
it's not unusual to see big piles of basic goods sitting around during the endgame.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And to original poster, fish lose their utility earlier in the game than most of the other basic goods. It needs up about 15 fish on the pile to interest me after about the second or third round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the special buildings in game. If there are some fish heavy ones, fish will be taken more frequently. Like Dave says, usually the situation is that there are 10+ fish and nobody wants them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
Depending on game situation it's also worth paying attention to a large wood offer at the end.

Example: in a game last night going into my last round 18 action I had five ships (steel/steel/iron/iron/wood). I had plenty of goods to ship, including a large herd of cows and two steel, but only one coke, so was facing under-shipping on the final action. However there happened to be 15 wood sitting on the wood offer, allowing me to ship five extra goods, one of which was the coke since I no longer needed to burn it.

Not a game-changer as it turned out, but I was able to ship an extra 18 francs of goods thanks to the extra fuel, which was 8 points better than going to the Patisserie for 2 grain and 2 bread. (Patisserie = 1grain+1bread = 5F, 3x).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Perrins
United Kingdom
Benson
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen big piles of Fish towards the end of the game, but as they come out so rapidly the build up eventually becomes too tempting. Usually it's one of the players who isn't doing so well that grabs them. The leaders have got their strategy sorted and know what they want to do with the final half dozen actions. It's the players who are floundering a bit that see the 'big pile o fish' as a helpful boost to paying the large end game food bills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This stack of ~12 fish can be useful for paying entry fees as well, so you don't have to time your loans so incessantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge stack of fish can also serve as useful fodder for conversion at the Business Office, one of the easier ways of getting steel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.