Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: I dislike most co-op games. Will I like Arkham? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like: Red November, Pandemic, Shadows over Camelot (except when I am the traitor)

Sorta like: Battlestar Galactica (always want to be a Cylon)

What are my chances with Arkham?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is a pure cooperative game (as is Pandemic) and even if you might be appealed by the theme, I don't think you will like the game play. But you have still rated it a ten?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't like: Pushing nails into my eyes, Pushing needles into my eyes, Pushing thorns into my eyes (except when I get to push thorns into other people's eyes)

Sorta like: Pushing knives into my eyes (but always want to push them into other people's eyes)

What are my chances of liking pushing thumb-tacs into my eyes?

In all seriousness though, this probably isn't the game for you. Unless you're a mega-fan of Lovecraft then your hatred of all things co-operative will probably trump your enjoyment of the game's theme, leaving you stuck in the middle of a three-hour session of an experience that you are unlikely to enjoy.

I'd avoid it if I were you. It's a great game, but not your type of great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godfeather wrote:
It is a pure cooperative game (as is Pandemic) and even if you might be appealed by the theme, I don't think you will like the game play. But you have still rated it a ten?

Haha, you caught me. I actually use the ratings as a personal guide of games I want to play. And seeing as how I haven't ever played it, hence the 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grift wrote:

In all seriousness though, this probably isn't the game for you. Unless you're a mega-fan of Lovecraft then your hatred of all things co-operative will probably trump your enjoyment of the game's theme, leaving you stuck in the middle of a three-hour session of an experience that you are unlikely to enjoy.

I'd avoid it if I were you. It's a great game, but not your type of great game.

I always thought that it was because the other games lacked theme. I'm all for a good story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
Don't like: Red November, Pandemic, Shadows over Camelot (except when I am the traitor)

Sorta like: Battlestar Galactica (always want to be a Cylon)

So what don't you like? Cooperating instead of competing? The weight of the game?

AH is pure co-op like RN and Pandemic, no team work here (and a traitor element is introduced through one card in an expansions so it is pretty much a non-issue). But AH is heavy on theme like BSG. It is the heaviest of all the co-ops you have listed and is more an adventure game than the rest of these.

You do not need to like or even know about Lovecraft to enjoy the game. I knew nothing about AH and enjoyed the game for a long while before finally readin any of Lovecraft's work.

So it depends. I don't think past experience with other co-ops necessarily will determine how you like AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
kookoobah wrote:

Zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope you're right Coltsfan. I really want to like this game.

I'm not really sure if it's the competing element that's missing. I love complex games. Maybe that's it. Maybe the other games are just too simple. Some of my favorite games are headache inducing, WotR and TI3.

I hope I like this game. I need a 1-player game with tons of theme and story badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
I need a 1-player game with tons of theme and story badly.

Well, if you are going to play this solitaire, it is an enjoyable experience as well. I dislike solitaire games but love running a solo game of AH with 4 investigators.

If you own the game, definitely try it out a few times. If you need clarifications, just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:

I'm not really sure if it's the competing element that's missing. I love complex games. Maybe that's it. Maybe the other games are just too simple. Some of my favorite games are headache inducing, WotR and TI3.

I hope I like this game. I need a 1-player game with tons of theme and story badly.

Wanting to like the game is at least a step in the right direction.

I've seen a lot of people come on here asking if they will like the game or saying that they did not, and I felt like the response on the forums might be enough to get them to at least try it a few more times. But sadly, I feel like you're an exception. If you're not into cooperative games, then you will not like this one.

I failed to get one friend into the game, because it turns out he's all about competition and treachery. Other mutual friends agree with this assessment. This game is absolutely not for him, and it will probably not be for you.

HOWEVER—

If you like the concept of goal-oriented adventure games, you can absolutely play this game alone, because it will be competitive: your team of investigators that you control, against the game. Most of my games are played solo with 4 investigators under my control because I only recently recruited two people who enjoy it, and I can rarely get my girlfriend to play, despite the fact that she likes cooperating with me.

The only element that's missing from this play style is where when you play a nasty or clever move on your opponent, it won't be appreciated by your human opponents, because you won't have any. But if that's not an issue, you can have an awesome time solo, and soloing long enough may get you comfortable to the point that you would want to work with other players to share in the experience.

Hope this POV was helpful. Good luck in your gaming endeavors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
Quote:

Sorta like: Battlestar Galactica

^Hey, that's me!

I love Arkam Horror.
Do the math yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH is very much an RPG without the Game Master. Decide if that's of interest to you or not. It's completely different from BG or SoC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:

I consider AH as more of a "Solo game that you can have your friends play with you." I really think you will like it solotaire. Then play something else with your friends or bring them in to help fight "the system" of the game.

I play this solo more than any other game and play it much more solo than with other people. It's a solo game, dude. You just have the option of letting your friends play it with you.

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the things going for it is that it's supposed to be hard. I like a challenge. And it's going to be like a computer game with an AI.

I will update you guys after my first game on Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that appeals to me about this game is the 'story generator' aspect.

Can the game be easy/hard? I've seen lots of opinions on this either way.

*I* don't mind getting stomped by the game because I don't necessarily need a happy ending when I read fiction.

The game is telling a story (an interactive story) - and I think it does this quite well.

Some are turned off by the random twists and turns...I like putting the odd situations the game throws at me together in my mind to make a narrative.

Female student with a skull-topped magical sword? I'm going to justify it as part of the story and plow on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
I think one of the things going for it is that it's supposed to be hard. I like a challenge. And it's going to be like a computer game with an AI.

I will update you guys after my first game on Sunday.

Hopefully you will have a good time. This is one of the top rated games among my gaming group.

There are a couple people in my gaming group who are extremely competative and don't enjoy the "me vs. the game" mechanics of AH. I have to give them credit for at trying it at least once. One of them is even a huge Lovecraft/Horror fan, but has no interest in revisiting this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a quick game with my brother and a friend. Kickass. We didn't finish, but it was really really fun. In fact, I'm in the middle of a game right now. Getting my ass kicked (just using one investigator, so I can get a feel of the rules better).

A couple of questions:

When a gate appears as a result of an encounter, do I add a doom token? Does a monster appear? Do I land in the otherworld delayed? Do I draw for an encounter in the next phase (Otherworld encounter phase)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gate opening on you during Arkham Encounters is just like one opening on you during Mythos. You are delayed, a monster emerges, and a doom token is added. The only significant difference is that you will have one more encounter in the Other World before you return than you would when one opens on you during Mythos--this is a result of the turn orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.