Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
Just finished the first of hopefully many episodes on how to play wargames. Please let me know what you think, any suggestiosn and if I made mistakes! The first episode is Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage.
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jesse/Videos/

Edit!
A couple mistakes have been pointed out to me.
1) There is a single roll for battle casualties.
2) Retreats are to the closest friendly space.

Thanks,
Jesse
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude! I was just thinking the other day how nice it would be to have something like this!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Consider getting a host that will allow feeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jesse, and congratulations on your first tutorial. As I did have a passing interest in Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage but have not looked into the game in depth this would make me hopefully a good viewer.

The quality of the graphics are excellent and your voice is clear and interesting, maybe the American accent to a Brit? So I think you have the essentials right.

As mentioned before I do not know much about the game so I cannot comment on wether the game details were correct or not but I did grasp an understanding of the game just from your review alone.

There were some negative points to me and that was the explanation of set up and areas of the board could of been done prior to starting the game. This included the cards that you started with. I didnt realise you had a hand of cards for each player until you reached the last card. I guess anyone with the game would understand how this hand is made up. It did feel a little like you were playing the game and explaining what you did rather than explaining the actual mechanics.

I hope my negative comments are helpful but it really was a very good first attempt and I look forward to more of the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good comments Green. I am inexperienced in the video editing world, so if people have suggestions for where to host it and what file types are best, I am listening.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Threw it up on youtube in two parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0qVgAL7co
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYs00AS14n8

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You Thank You Thank You
thumbsup thumbsup

I can't wait for others. I so want to get into war games, but I have no one to show me. I read and try, but I just do not understand enough of the lingo to get it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Very, very well done.

I am now going to subscribe to your youtube channel.

BTW, you might want to show us how you put this together and the equipment used - others might be encouraged to follow your lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job.

Any chance of a really introductory video for curious wannabes showing the basics of wargaming such as hex vs. area movement vs. point-to-point; zones of control, combat result tables, terrain effect; card driven system, chit pull, impulse, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea Ken. I'll think about it after I do my next video
(which will be Attack Vector: Tactical).

As for the equipment used. I use my digital camera (an Exilim) and a tripod. Edited the video in Microsoft Movie Maker. Lights were just what were already there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have watched part 1 so far. I have recently got back into this game after only playing it once a year or so ago. The video reminded me that mountain crossings take 2 movement points.

I like the video because it is an actual tutorial (or example of play) instead of just a rehash of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't watched yet, but I wanted to encourage you to keep with it. This is something I have been hammering on for years: WHY DON'T GAME PUBLISHERS CREATE TEACHING VIDEOS!!!! ESPECIALLY WARGAME PUBLISHERS!!!

It is such a no-brainer. What is the biggest barrier for new customers? Learning the game. It takes a lot of effort to learn a game straight from the rulebook. So make a 30 minute video of the designer/developer teaching you how to play. You know just like they would at a game session with a newbie. They already do it a bunch of times..now you just have to put a camera on them. I would pay an extra $3-5/game to get a CD with my new game with that video on it. Ideally it's on the internet instead, but I would still be willing to pay for it with my game if it was produced well enough. On a CD you could keep the resolution high enough that it would be more enjoyable to watch.

Total no-brainer, and frankly I think it's laziness that they don't do it. They have their little p500 system and enough syncophant fan-boys/apologists to keep them trudging along.

Heck I've thought about opening a game store and doing my own video/tutorials there to help sell games. I mean what a great sales tool. Here, buy this game and here's a CD/DVD that shows you how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My only suggestion Jesse is relax. It's a good video but you're nervous so you're talking in a flat monotone voice trying to be very serious. Forget trying to be serious and be yourself. Just think about how you would explain the game if you were sitting down at the table with 3 friends explaining how to play. Have fun with it.

I think you've got a great idea here and you're doing a good job of explaining the game so I look forward to more videos from you in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great stuff. Thank you.

I couldn't do it myself. I can't speak 3 words into a mic without getting the giggles. Plus at some point I will start to mumble. Giggle-mumbles does not a good video make, methinks.

There have been some really good wargame postings on BGG of late and this is a prime example. Well done. I will join the chorus and plead for more in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you are only supposed to make one single die roll for battle casualties. Not one for each player.

I was also surprised that you bypassed the whole Roman consul/proconsul selection phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, from my understanding of the rules, when an army retreats, it must retreat to the nearest legal space. In the video, you have Varro retreat two spaces, through a friendly (legal) space, back into Rome.

Did Valley Games change many rules? I have only played the AH version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well done. I really like how you had a 'top down' view overlooking the playing area. It gave me the POV as if I was playing across the table from you.

Just a couple of things I would like to see for future productions. Maybe a little bit more rules overview before you begin the play session for those that might not be familiar with the game. Could you also possibly add a brief bio on the game, designer/publisher and maybe recommended ages/number of players.

Also, maybe add a different light source. You could tell that the outside light was changing during the session. When you would make an edit the contrast and brightness of your playing area would change drastically. I am probably just being anal about it but keeping continuity in the lighting would, IMHO, bring the production quality up a notch.

Again, great job and keep them coming!! thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 wrote:
I haven't watched yet, but I wanted to encourage you to keep with it. This is something I have been hammering on for years: WHY DON'T GAME PUBLISHERS CREATE TEACHING VIDEOS!!!! ESPECIALLY WARGAME PUBLISHERS!!!

It is such a no-brainer. What is the biggest barrier for new customers? Learning the game. It takes a lot of effort to learn a game straight from the rulebook. So make a 30 minute video of the designer/developer teaching you how to play. You know just like they would at a game session with a newbie. They already do it a bunch of times..now you just have to put a camera on them. I would pay an extra $3-5/game to get a CD with my new game with that video on it. Ideally it's on the internet instead, but I would still be willing to pay for it with my game if it was produced well enough. On a CD you could keep the resolution high enough that it would be more enjoyable to watch.

Total no-brainer, and frankly I think it's laziness that they don't do it. They have their little p500 system and enough syncophant fan-boys/apologists to keep them trudging along.

Heck I've thought about opening a game store and doing my own video/tutorials there to help sell games. I mean what a great sales tool. Here, buy this game and here's a CD/DVD that shows you how to play.

Many years back, Moments In History did a series of tutorial audiotapes for some of their wargames. I had one (I think it was for Triumphant Fox) and was in the process of transcribing it when it disappeared due to several house moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Creating a decent video (i.e. good lighting, good sound, well rehearsed, well paced, well scripted, etc), is either:

a) going to cost a flat $500-1000 to a professional video production team.

or

b) Going to require a capital investment of several thousand dollars (cameras, lights, mics, something to edit on) that you will then have to learn how to use properly.

This is not trivial, and it is not easy. Board Games with Scott is a good example of what someone could do. Ask him how many hours he spends on each episode. Now ask him how many hours he spent when he first started. Now ask him at what point in the run of the series he produced something he'd be comfortable asking people to pay an extra $3-5 for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Did Valley Games change many rules? I have only played the AH version.

No rule changes were made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse you should put this in the H:RC entry as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. I'm looking forward to more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on a Very Well Done Tutorial! Your presentation is very friendly and well thought out. I hope this is the first of many such video tutorials.

Great job! Thanks for the work you've obviously put into this.

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.