Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there all, I'm going to go ahead and embarrass myself by asking a few questions of the BGG.Con Vets here so I can prepare for my first venture! Forgive my noobery...

1. I am flying down (or down and across really ) from Maryland and I know I'm going to want to bring back armloads of games. Can I get some advice from fellow plane travelers? I've explored the possibility of bringing an extra suitcase or maybe having the games shipped home? Is there a FedEx or UPS office close enough to the con? Stuff like that!

2. I know vendors will attend, but will actual game manufacturers be there too with tables or demos or both? Name-dropping is appreciated!

3. Since we're near the airport, are there cool places to eat or do for dinner/lunch and all that, or are we stuck eating hotel food?gulp

4. Can someone explain the flea market? Is this the same as the vendor's room, except that people are free to sell their own games? How does that work?

Thanks guys 'n gals! Can't wait to see some or all of you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
slateman wrote:
1. I am flying down (or down and across really ) from Maryland and I know I'm going to want to bring back armloads of games. Can I get some advice from fellow plane travelers? I've explored the possibility of bringing an extra suitcase or maybe having the games shipped home? Is there a FedEx or UPS office close enough to the con? Stuff like that!

My advice would be don't! Aldie has pretty much all the games you could ever want and then some in the library. If there's a couple games that you think you absolutely need to have access to at all times, bring those. After seeing the game library the first year, I really haven't brought much for games since.

slateman wrote:
2. I know vendors will attend, but will actual game manufacturers be there too with tables or demos or both? Name-dropping is appreciated!

I forget who all was there last year, but we've had publishers such as Z-Man, Days of Wonder, Fantasy Flight, Rio Grande, FRED, Columbia, etc, and many of them do demos.

slateman wrote:
3. Since we're near the airport, are there cool places to eat or do for dinner/lunch and all that, or are we stuck eating hotel food?gulp

This is the main drawback of the location. There's a Denny's across the street, but that's about it. Make friends with some people that drove and eat with them!

slateman wrote:
4. Can someone explain the flea market? Is this the same as the vendor's room, except that people are free to sell their own games? How does that work?

There will be a separate room filled with tables for two hours on the morning of the flea market where it will take place. People that want to sell are let in an hour or so before the flea market opens to get set up, and then the flood gates open to the buyers. Anyone can buy or sell games at the flea market. There were about a bajillion games for sale there last year, and it seems to grow every year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slateman wrote:

The hotel restaurant has a great breakfast buffet; we had a large brunch every morning and that held us until dinner time. They also set up a table last year and sold snacks and meals, which were tasty (though a bit pricey).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
slateman wrote:

My advice would be don't! Aldie has pretty much all the games you could ever want and then some in the library. If there's a couple games that you think you absolutely need to have access to at all times, bring those. After seeing the game library the first year, I really haven't brought much for games since.

I think he means for purchasing games at the con

I ship myself a box from GenCon every year I attend. UPS ships from almost every office supply store (Staples, Office Depot, etc) so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one nearby.

I find that its much simpler and cost effective (depending on the airline) to use UPS or FedEx. Some airlines charge you an extra 50$ per luggage item, and sometimes even more if the item is over a certain weight. Plus, you have to deal with it when you get back to BWI, and that is a HUGE pain in the ass (Reagan National is pretty bad as well, and I feel very sorry for you if you're heading out of Dullas)

Another little hint on shipping games back. Open the games and punch out all the components, you can easily save 10-15$ ridding yourself of packaging materials. (well, depending on how much games you purchase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="slateman"]Hey there all, I'm going to go ahead and embarrass myself by asking a few questions of the BGG.Con Vets here so I can prepare for my first venture! Forgive my noobery...

1. I am flying down (or down and across really :D) from Maryland and I know I'm going to want to bring back armloads of games. Can I get some advice from fellow plane travelers? I've explored the possibility of bringing an extra suitcase or maybe having the games shipped home? Is there a FedEx or UPS office close enough to the con? Stuff like that!

3. Since we're near the airport, are there cool places to eat or do for dinner/lunch and all that, or are we stuck eating hotel food?:gulp:

My girlfriend and I will be driving up from Austin and since you're a Fallout fan and a Lovecraft fan (two of my all-time favorites), I'm sure we can give you a lift to something more substantial than Denny's.

mike

that's weird, how did I get within your quotes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
mbmbmbmbmb
mcdrunk wrote:
[q="slateman"]Hey there all, I'm going to go ahead and embarrass myself by asking a few questions of the BGG.Con Vets here so I can prepare for my first venture! Forgive my noobery...

My girlfriend and I will be driving up from Austin and since you're a Fallout fan and a Lovecraft fan (two of my all-time favorites), I'm sure we can give you a lift to something more substantial than Denny's.

mike

that's weird, how did I get within your quotes....

did it again! I have to stop mixing BGG with alcohol this late at night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
slateman wrote:

D'oh! Of course! Somehow I missed the word "back".

I guess the other option would be to send them home with someone that drove and have them ship the games to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost positive there is a fedex kinkos really close by the hotel... and there's taxis available almost 24/7 from the main lobby.

I haven't use the concierge at the westin, but this hotel probably has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Personally, I like the pack light, bring an extra bag approach. Despends on your relationship with your airline, but you can put socks boardgame boxes and put the dirty undies in yer carry-on to make more room. That's just me.

Each year, we have more and more choices for people to purchase games at the con, but it's not the 'focus.' Yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other threads about restaurants near the hotel.
See
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/310320
or
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1645641

Since we are local we tried hard last year to take other along
for food with limited success. Strangely I kept getting the
response "Go away - we're playing games. We can eat next week."

Lots of good places within 2km of the hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it sounds like a FedEx/Kinko's may be the way to go for that extra armload of games I know I will be returning home with. I presume they'll have packaging materials too.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcdrunk wrote:

mike

Thanks mike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also have a car, if it makes it , and am willing to give rides to "deserving" gamers (i.e. peeps who let me win ) to restaurants when I go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some great travel advice on packing tons of games back home:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386982

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me but I thought the restaurant at the hotel was pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xandryyte wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I thought the restaurant at the hotel was pretty good.

I'm with Terry -- the food was quite tasty, the menu was varied, the service was reasonably fast, and the prices were not outrageous (at least in terms of DC-area food). I didn't feel like I was sacrificing anything eating most meals at the hotel restaurant, and I was glad to spend my time gaming instead of driving around looking for outside food.

EDIT: The Denny's across the street, however, is to be avoided at all costs. The food was nasty, the service was appalling, and the price for a meal was only a couple of dollars less than the hotel restaurant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
On a first come, first served basis you can also get a mini-refrigerator from the hotel. I don't even remember there being a charge for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only item I have had difficulty getting at the con were Tichu cards. No one even had them for sale last year

So if you play Tichu, bring your cards. Otherwise, I suggest you leave your other games at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
If you intend on buying armloads of games, an option for you is to have some of the local vendors ship your games to you. Lotech is a local vendor that was at previous BGG cons. They have free shipping over $100 and $8 flat rate options below that. You might be able to work something out with them that would be cheaper than shipping yourself and certainly cheaper than using the airlines.

As far as food, get to know a local or a visitor with a car. There are some great food options in the area, but you need a car to get to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I drive to BGG.con, but I have another National modeling convention I go to every year where I am in your position.

I typically only take a carry on backpack and if need be, wash clothes at the hotel (but don't normally need to). Then anything I buy at the con, I've boxed up, and just checked it as a bag, with no problems. Make sure you're under 50lbs. The suggestion about punching games first is probalby a good one whether shipping or checking. That might be a problem depending on your baggage claim at your home port, but works great for me. If my purchases are insanely over the top, I've just fedexed them home in however many boxes are required.

Good luck at the con! If you need a ride to dinner, there is usually a sign up board where people can request or offer rides, if you can't find someone in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
Make sure you're under 50lbs.

DAMN!! I have about 200 pounds to lose!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
slateman wrote:
1. I am flying down (or down and across really :D) from Maryland and I know I'm going to want to bring back armloads of games. Can I get some advice from fellow plane travelers? I've explored the possibility of bringing an extra suitcase or maybe having the games shipped home? Is there a FedEx or UPS office close enough to the con? Stuff like that!

My advice would be don't! :) Aldie has pretty much all the games you could ever want and then some in the library. If there's a couple games that you think you absolutely need to have access to at all times, bring those. After seeing the game library the first year, I really haven't brought much for games since.

I think his point was he intend to BUY new games, not bring any to the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
One word of advise if you do find a Fed-Ex or the like... make sure they are open the day you want to ship the games. A lot of places are not open on Sundays.

As for food... I rented an expensive car that I didn't use that much. But it did allow me to get out and appreciate the non-hotel food. Generally, something can be done to accomodate your budget. It just takes posting around the forums, making some connections, and hitching a ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I was asking about games, I meant ones I might end up purchasing either from a vendor or from the flea market. I've already located a FedEx/Kinkos and a UPS Store very close to the convention (< 10 min drive). If I end up needing it, I would probably hit it up on Saturday (they are open, but the stuff wouldn't ship until that Monday, no big deal). I know that the BGG Con isn't oriented to have a vast number of vendors, but I just want to be prepared

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking I will rent a car at DFW and just have it handy. I have someone else from Bethesda Game Studios coming with me, so we're splitting everything anyway. Is the driving downtown there awful or is it manageable? Are we even really "downtown?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
slateman wrote:
Yeah, when I was asking about games, I meant ones I might end up purchasing either from a vendor or from the flea market. I've already located a FedEx/Kinkos and a UPS Store very close to the convention (< 10 min drive). If I end up needing it, I would probably hit it up on Saturday (they are open, but the stuff wouldn't ship until that Monday, no big deal). I know that the BGG Con isn't oriented to have a vast number of vendors, but I just want to be prepared

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking I will rent a car at DFW and just have it handy. I have someone else from Bethesda Game Studios coming with me, so we're splitting everything anyway. Is the driving downtown there awful or is it manageable? Are we even really "downtown?"

We're not really downtown, as we're in Irving Texas. (We had to drive to the next town over to get um, provisions that aren't allowed in a dry county.)

I think it depends on how far you go. I met a friend late Friday and crossing that Central Highway was a sheer nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.