Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Carpenter rocks. I was standing in the shower after work today and it occurred to me that John Carpenter is the fleas knees.

So much so that I am spontaneously posting to the internet, that I like his movies a lot.

lets take a look shall we?

# Sorceror from Outer Space (1969)
# Warrior and the Demon (1969) (as Johnny Carpenter)
# Gorgon, the Space Monster (1969)
# Gorgo Versus Godzilla (1969)
# Terror from Space (1963)
# Revenge of the Colossal Beasts (1962)

He directed a godzilla movie? Who knew! I didn't. Are any of these good?

Dark Star

I haven't seen either, Wow I'm a lame fanboy!

Assault on Precinct 13 1976

Now we get started! This movie hints of everything that is to come. Moody badassness with an unrelenting score. Two years before he changes the world of horror movies with Halloween he makes this. It is an excellent warm up for his career.

Halloween 1978

Somehow he defines the slasher flick with barely any slashing at all. and the awful coathanger scene. One of the most memorable scores in movie history too.

# Elvis (1979/I)

# Someone's Watching Me! 1978

Two made for tv movies, haven't seen them

The Fog (1980)

Not a huge fan of this movie, takes a bit of time to get going, but it is pretty good. Yaar!

Escape from New York (1981)

This is the sweet spot for me really. Post apocalyptic, anti athority, snake pliskin! I think it is at this point where he just decides to make movies that he thinks are freaking cool. He is given budgets big enough to work with but not so big as to have creativity killing producer oversight. This movie as a kid along with Road warrior solidified my love of the wasteland.

The Thing (1982)

the next year come the thing, Kind of a remake, but not really. You know how some bands cover a song and it sounds just like the original. This always leaves me feeling that I should have just listened to the original. But sometimes you hear a cover that takes the original song and reimagines it, making it different and excellent in its own way. This is how I look at the thing. Possibly the best practical special effects movie of all time. Tense and paranoid and downright weird. Great movie.

Christine (1983)

Been a long time since I have seen this, I didn't even realized he directed it. I liked it as a kid.

Starman (1984)

Another movie I haven't seen since the days of videostores. Is it worth a visit?

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

This is the movie that inspired me to write the post. A trucker drives in the rain, rants, plays poker, catches a bottle, says "its all in the reflexes" and then the movie veers wildly left into pure fantasy. Awesome! This movie embraces what it is without looking back. So many movies try to overexplain things. Other movies throw in plot points so random you don't understand them at all. Somehow this movie manages to walk the line perfectly. Another movie that seems a labor of love.

Prince of Darkness (1987)

I haven't seen this either. Bad Jeff!

They Live (1988)

Roddy piper fights Authoritarian alien-guys with the help of sunglasses. This movie is great! The first time he looks around and sees all the subliminal messages sends shivers up my spine. This movie doesn't have quite the rabid nerd fandom that say Big Trouble or the thing has. but it should!

# Body Bags (1993) (TV)

# Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)

Haven't seen either of these.

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

My senior year of highschool. I had been reading lovecraft for about two years. We went and saw this movie and it nails it. Haven't seen it since the theater, it probably deserves another watch.

Village of the Damned (1995)

Haven't seen this. I loved the original when it aired on the saturday afternoon sci-fi show. From what i understand this falls into the 'regular cover song' rather than the 'creative reimagining' category.

Escape from L.A. (1996)

This movie was much hyped among my friends. I remember likeing parts of it. but finding other parts over the top. Yes CGI is nice new toy. But it can be so easily abused.

Vampires (1998)

Now he is back on track. Gritty vampire hunters using a winch to pull vampires out into the sunlight. Cool! Not a huge vampire fan but I still love the character interactions in this movie.

Ghosts of Mars (2001)

A box office bomb, I haven't seen it. I think I should.

# "Masters of Horror" (2 episodes, 2005-2006)
- Pro-Life (2006) TV episode
- John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (2005)

I saw both of these and they are both great. They give me high hopes for the future of John.

Cigarette burns was simply amazing. It is probably the best thing he has done since the thing. Another Lovecraft-esque story about a guy tracking down a film that was never made.

Pro life starred ron pearlman which is always good and it did a great job of making you feel sympathy for the characters. Rather than just waiting for them to die like you do in most horror flicks.

Imdb says that he has three movies in the works, lets hope that the brillance of the master of horror shows jumps back to the big screen. I worry though, Masters of horror is great because it allows directors to make movies they wouldn't normally get a chance to, though in shortened forms. I am always worried when hollywood gets over involved with either creative oversight or gratuitous special effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)

Two words:

Chevy Chase

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:

Prince of Darkness (1987)

I haven't seen this either. Bad Jeff!

Yeah. Check this one out. It's pretty good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.