Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Lemire
Canada
Ottawa/Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys !

I am seriously considering buying Memoir 44' as I had the chance to play it a few times and really liked it. However, it is now always possible for me to play with two. I found a few solo variants here on BGG and some of them look great. However, I am not too sure if it is worth it to buy it if it is to play solo most of the time.

I have a few questions regarding Memoir '44 solo and would like to ask them here.

1- What are your favorite solo variants for Memoir '44 (any links welcome) ?

2- How good is Memoir '44 solo versus the real game ?

3- Do you think that it is worth it to purchase this game if it is to play solo most of the time and with another player sometimes ?

Thank you in advance for your reply. It will be greatly appreciated.

Ravel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one thing that I play with solo. My son does like to push the plastic pieces around by himself and make firing noises, so if you are into that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
I'm looking at what you own already...you have Battlelore--wouldn't that give you a pretty good idea of how M'44 would play? Personally, I probably wouldn't pick up M'44 for a solo session.

1. You could play both sides, but that doesn't sound like much fun.
2. You could play a variant, but M'44 doesn't really tell a story as you play.

That's why I'd recommend something with a little more complexity if you're up for it. Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 is probably your best bet and one I think works pretty well for solo without being too complex.

My next solo wargame will probably be Silent War or Fields of Fire just as a few extra ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
oeolycus wrote:
I'm looking at what you own already...you have Battlelore--wouldn't that give you a pretty good idea of how M'44 would play? Personally, I probably wouldn't pick up M'44 for a solo session.

1. You could play both sides, but that doesn't sound like much fun.
2. You could play a variant, but M'44 doesn't really tell a story as you play.

Memoir '44 and C&C:A both work very well as a solo game. Not as good as some more complex games, but they give a nice wargame feel in a short amount of time. Battlelore is much worse than the other two for solo because of the Lore deck, which makes it too hard to keep track of both sides.

That said, I agree with Daniel that there are probably some better choice, but Memoir will serve you well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:

That's why I'd recommend something with a little more complexity if you're up for it. Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 is probably your best bet and one I think works pretty well for solo without being too complex.

Well, for me M44 works better solo than COH. When you play COH solo you have to ask yourself constantly after every action whether your alter ego wants to react to your own move. That's a bit exhausting. With M44 I can at least stay with one of my split personalities during one whole turn (I do not use the ambush and counterattack card when playing solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with etagimbo. I find any game with nearly no hidden information very hard to play solo (COH). With M44, I'm able to forget the cards I just looked at once I put them down, and when I'm looking at the cards for a particular side, I'm able to plan what to do based solely on the cards I'm looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it once and still get a lot of flack for it from my "friends"

Here is what I did: I played my side as normal, with the right amount of cards etc. Then rather than having a normal card line-up for the enemy side (which I potentially could remember) I drew three cards and played the one I reckoned would do me the most harm. I then discarded the remaining two cards. Then took my own turn, and then once again on the opponents turn I drew three new cards and played the best.

It worked fairly well and still keeps you in the dark as to what your opponents capabilities are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a lot of fun playing Memoir 44 solo. The randomness of the cards and dice make the game quite unpredictable, so you will never know what you will do to harm yourself the next time. I am not joking.

I like using the Eastern Front expansion pack because of the rules with the political commisar. It gives a bit more programmed feel to the Russian movement / battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It is probably better to post questions about a specific game in the forum for that game, where the people most familiar with the game are likely to see it.

I've not played M44 solo; it seems like having knowledge of the "secret" card hand of the "opponent" would severely limit my enjoyment of playing it solo. So it depends on how much you enjoy solo gaming despite having knowledge of the opponent's hand. But then I almost never play 2-player games solo anyway, as it has never been as enjoyable as playing with an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is extremely good for your health to play Memoir'44 solo. Most people do not realise this. However, It must be played properly. We wargamers are always being told that our sedentary hobby will result in obesity and an early grave.

One must use at least a 6x4' table (8x4' for the fanatics) and place two chairs in the centre of each long side with the Memoir'44 board in the middle. At the end of each turn, one must them sprint to the empty chair on the opposite side ensuring that one moves constantly in a clockwise direction. One will be pleasantly surprised at the weight loss incurred after just three or so games.

I approached DoW with a view to using this as a sales aid but was, rather surprisingly, turned down by the shortsighted curmudgeons in their marketing department.

I intend to appeal directly to the Designer.

Regards,

Slim Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah M44 is (also) a great solo game. If you look to my played game you'll find out I made a lot of solo games. Personally I enjoy so much even alone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I agree this is an enjoyable solo game - just playing both sides as normal works well enough.

It's been a while since I have sat down to a game against myself, but I vaguely remember delaying the card draw until the beginning of the next turn (rather than replenishing the hand at the end of a turn), to add an element of surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of the others here. I have played this solo many times and
enjoyed it very much. I have only the base game and the Pacific Expansion. The
Pacific Expansion adds a lot to the game.
You can play each side against yourself and see how the advantages and disadvantages
of each side figures into strategy and results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've played it solo, which I haven't for quite a while, I just tossed the "opponent's" hand after making his play and drew an entirely new hand. Since nothing is really "timed" by the deck running out, as is the case for, say, Combat Commander, there's not much harm that I can see in doing that, and I can be in perfect ignorance of what the other side will do. When it's the other side's turn, I just pick the card from the fresh hand that I myself would play in that situation. It all works pretty well, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played M44 and battle Cry solo on several occasions. Not a prblem.

I can zone out the "opponents" hand and when I draw a replacement card I don't look at it.

I don't use Ambush and Counter attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
At the end of each turn, one must them sprint to the empty chair on the opposite side ensuring that one moves constantly in a clockwise direction.

This is not good advice! The exclusively clockwise movement can result in severe muscle imbalances. One should instead alternate clockwise sprints with counter-clockwise sprints. This also has the advantage that one can play with the table against a wall.

- Brent Johnson, CPT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent Johnson wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:
At the end of each turn, one must them sprint to the empty chair on the opposite side ensuring that one moves constantly in a clockwise direction.

This is not good advice! The exclusively clockwise movement can result in severe muscle imbalances. One should instead alternate clockwise sprints with counter-clockwise sprints. This also has the advantage that one can play with the table against a wall.

- Brent Johnson, CPT

If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, be sure to do your sprints counterclockwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a hundred or more M'44 games solo. Simplest expedient is simply to play the side's card, draw its replacement but not view that replacement until it's that side's turn again.

"Ambush" cards can either be set aside face-up for a "first fire" use at discretion, or can be applied to the previous turn to revisit its resolution. If you choose to do this, be sure to lay casualties on their sides but not remove them until the change-of-side so you can remember where and what happened that could be altered by the Ambush.

The most problematic solitaire challenge I've found involves scenarios with the "Commissar" rule, which are best avoided in solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
Brent Johnson wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:

- Brent Johnson, CPT

If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, be sure to do your sprints counterclockwise.

Sorry to disagree, old chaps. One will end up with only half a carpet worn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Lemire
Canada
Ottawa/Hull
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your comments. I am now convinced to buy Memoir '44 and play solo. I am very sorry if I didn't post my question at the right place and I apologize for it.

Again, many thanks for your comments and variant ideas.

All the best,

Ravel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
BartowWing wrote:
Brent Johnson wrote:
oneilljgf wrote:

- Brent Johnson, CPT

Sorry to disagree, old chaps. One will end up with only half a carpet worn out.

This game shouldn't be played over anything else than a hardwood floor...

Eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich wrote:
This game shouldn't be played over anything else than a hardwood floor...

Eric @ DoW

Eric,

I will admit that this is the second best game that can be played on a hardwood floor, both games haven given me many hours of pleasure.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michaël lagarde
Belgium
1070 bruxelles
Belgique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mémoire 44 en solo : proposition de règle du jeu :

L'"humain" joue normalement. L'"IA" joue comme suit :
- cartes de commandement : aligner les cartes de l’IA en file indienne (face cachée).
On va lancer un dé pour déterminer quelle carte commandement est jouée.
1 dé infanterie tirant vers le char = carte 1
1 dé étoile vert = carte 2
1 dé infanterie tirant vers la grenade = carte 3
1 dé grenade jaune = carte 4
1 dé drapeau = carte 5
1 dé char = carte 6
Dès qu’une carte est jouée, on rajoute une nouvelle carte à la fin de la file (à chaque tour de l’IA).
Grâce à cette carte, nous savons quelle section est activée
- activer les unités IA :
Pour savoir quelle unité exactement est activée pour l’IA dans cette section, il faut lancer 1 dé.
1 dé infanterie tirant vers le char = l’unité 1 sera activée
1 dé étoile vert = l’unité 2
1 dé infanterie tirant vers la grenade = l’unité 3
1 dé grenade jaune = l’unité 4
1 dé drapeau = l’unité 5
1 dé char = l’unité 6
On comptera, dans une section donnée (gauche, droite ou centre), les troupes de haut en bas et de gauche à droite afin de déterminer un numéro pour chaque unité (la plus haute et la plus à gauche sera l’unité numéro 1, celle qui suivra et qui sera la plus haute et la plus à gauche de la section après la première unité sera la numéro 2 etc.
(Option 1 : Pour ne pas relancer 100 fois le dé si il n'y a que deux unités dans une section, penser à simplifier en disant que inf tire vers char, étoile verte, inf tirant vers grenade = l'unité de gauche ; et grenade, drapeau, char = l'unité de droite ; ou bien Option 2 : simplifier en inf tire vers char, étoile verte = unité de gauche ; et inf tire vers grenade, grenade = unité du centre ; et drapeau, char = unité de droite).
L’IA se déplacera vers le bord du plateau de jeu de l’humain. Elle cherchera (sauf cas de priorité 1, 2, 3) à établir le contact avec l’unité de l’humain la plus proche (attaque au max de dés en premier choix, puis se déplacer jusqu’à l’unité de l’humain en second choix, en troisième choix avancer vers l’unité de l’humain la plus proche sans l’attaquer ni le toucher par un déplacement. Priorité 1 : l'unité IA attaquera (ou se déplacera vers) une unité de l'humain blessée proche ne contenant plus qu'1 ou 2 figurines (ou l'unité la plus blessée ; si après cela il faut encore choisir la cible lancer un dé et le symbole obtenu est l'unité cible). Par ailleurs, si une unité IA était réduite à 1 pion, cette unité devrait en priorité reculer vers son bord se mettre à l'abri. Priorité 2 : pour son déplacement l'IA préférera se coller à d'autres unités IA en fin de mouvement, ou arriver à couper la retraite de l'unité de l'humain, ou encore essaiera d'occuper un terrain favorable à la défense. Priorité 3 : l'IA n'attaquera pas une unité de l'humain qui serait sur un terrain défensif (ville, forêt,...) et aurait plus de 2 figurines, et attaquera plutôt une unité qui ne sera pas sur un terrain défensif (exceptions où l'IA attaquera quand même un terrain défensif : a) l'artillerie IA visera (et se déplacera toujours vers) ces terrains défensifs en priorité ; et b) 2 unités IA ou plus pourront attaquer un tel terrain en coopération).
-Et finalement intégration des règles d'autres joueurs :
-On traite les cartes bonus (cartes combat,...) comme d’habitude, mais l’IA est forcé de jouer une carte bonus dès qu’il le peut (1 par tour ; dans l’ordre où il les obtient, la première, puis la seconde…). Ne retourner que la première carte bonus, les autres sont face cachée. Cas de la carte embuscade (ou autre carte normalement jouée au tour de l'humain en réponse au joueur humain) : est appliquée à la dernière unité jouée par l'humain (on jouera 3 dés contre elle), et piocher une autre carte commandement ensuite.
-Pour augmenter la difficulté : jouer 2 cartes de commandement pour l'IA par tour au lieu d'1(mais en lançant un dé pour les choisir comme indiqué au début). Et piocher (et jouer plus tard) 2 cartes bonus au lieu d'1 en un tour (si l'IA y avait droit selon la règle normale à ce tour).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.