Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A growing problem is light pollution. Too much light at night can adversely affect ecosystems, disrupting day-night cycles of various life forms. It also is a blight for astronomers, as it causes the sky to be not dark enough to view fainter stars and galaxies.

Being an amateur astronomer, light pollution affects me too. Even when I go out of the city, the glowing skies still make it impossible to see many objects. I suspect many younger Dutch people have never seen the Milky Way with their own eyes.

The GLOBE at Night project aims at mapping the extent of light pollution around the world. You can help too, by looking at the easy to find constellation of Orion and report how it looks. It'll only take a few minutes and you get to look at pretty stars.

In this image about the same stretch of sky is visible. One photo is from a rural area and the other is from a city:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I live near Los Angeles. We can't even see the sun in the day.

I've lived near the light and smog polluted city all my life. I was shocked the first time I went camping. I had no idea that you could actually see more than 10-20 stars from Earth. Honestly, I feel a little uneasy when I'm away from light pollution now. The un-polluted, fully-visible night sky just looks so strange and unnatural to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess lightning bugs are becoming an endangered species because of light pollution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in a small village in the interior of Alaska and the stars were plentiful and huge. Living in Denver it always bothers me that I can't really see the stars much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
I live near Los Angeles. We can't even see the sun in the day.

I've lived near the light and smog polluted city all my life. I was shocked the first time I went camping. I had no idea that you could actually see more than 10-20 stars from Earth. Honestly, I feel a little uneasy when I'm away from light pollution now. The un-polluted, fully-visible night sky just looks so strange and unnatural to me.

Heh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(Asimov_short_story)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
When it comes to havoc, I reek!
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typse2Fsat wrote:

Escape Pod did a reading of this for their 100th episode. Great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The diurnal and crepuscular animals are stoked though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to move to the US. You would be amazed what you can see outside of Taos New Mexico at midnight at 9000feet elevation.

The land of wide open spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the night. I hate light pollution. One of my pet peeves are home owners who light up their house and yards with industrial-strength flood lights. It reminds me of prison yard lighting.

I do not think these bad lighting owners understand that they are actually hindering their ability to see crooks and burglars and whatever else they are afraid of in the night. First, as you gaze into the dark, if your high power flood light is in your field of view, your pupil will stop down as tight as it can get, and then you cannot see the criminal in the bushes. It will take your eyes many precious seconds to recover from this, even if you look away. Second, if your high power flood light falls on a bush or car at 10 feet distance, you eye will pick up that close bright object, and you will not see the criminal at 20 feet. Third, if your high power flood light illuminates a number of objects, the view will be highly contrasting with the negative spaces, and you will not see the criminal in the dark. Additionally, poorly aimed lighting blinds drivers, runners, dog-walkers, and other people who love the night.

Good lighting avoids many of these problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.