Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately my finacée has been obsessed with Genoa. We first played the game at a friend's house a few months ago. She lost, but she enjoyed it a lot. This itself is a huge success, as she rarely enjoys games until she manages to win them at least once. I had a hard time getting a copy of Genoa for us, but I found one on eBay for about $15 and snagged it up. When it arrived, I was a little depressed. The board was warped and I was missing a linen cube. I found pink cubes online at meeplepeople.com, but they were smaller and a different shade. I decided that a missing cube was not the end of the world. We re-read the instructions and tried to figure out how the two-player game worked. We then began to play. My finacée won our first game, which only increased her love for the game. Now it is one of the first games she recommends we play when I ask if she would like to play a game.

My fiancée has won four out of the five games we have played together. She has a clear strategy that works well for her. She focuses all her energy on privilege cards early on, trading anything for them. Then, in the late game, she refuses to sell any of her actions at any cost. This causes me to do the same to her. Our scores are always close, but her privilege cards give her a slight lead most of the time. Our last game ended 940 to 870 in her favor. I believe that now that I know the game well, I need to focus more on screwing up her strategy than my own path to victory.

This is one of the few negotiation games I have found that plays surprising well as a two-player game. The added mechanic of an extra action for selling an action works really well. I do look forward to more opportunities to play this with more players, but the two-player game is quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, I'm starting to wonder if my wife would like this one. I'm pretty sure I will.

I have a strange question, though.

My wife loves Agricola, and I think it's because on her turn, every action is pretty much spelled out on the action cards for her, including the cost of the action, etc. So she doesn't have to remember everything in her head.

In Trader of Genoa, is the board laid out so that you know what each building does? Or is there a cheat-sheet for that?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
Its all done with icons. Every building's action is basically to let you pick something up - either cards, or little goods cubes.

e.g. the post office has two little quill icons on it, which match the quill icons on the back of the message cards, so if you take the post office action, you pick up two message cards.

The special action cards have icons as well as a brief description of what they do on them, so that is spelled out too. I have the German edition and don't speak German, but even without these little reminders, the icons make it fairly obvious. I don't think you'll have any problems. Once you have played the first couple of rounds it all seems very simple, letting you concentrate on the cutthroat bargaining

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traders is definitely a 10 in my book. I love it. I hope I can get Katie to try it someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure I'm going to pick this one up... I've wanted it since I heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out you and your gal couldn't have possibly have had fun.....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/389380

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't bother reading that thread. It's just a brawl and a total waste of time.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.