Adrian Pirciu
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
North Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I am a big fan of Memoir 44, got almost all expansion packs, played tens of scenarios, etc. Still, there is something happening to me lately, and don't tell this to my memoir box... I am falling in love with Tide of Iron.

So far I've only read some reviews, and one the biggest sources of info about TOI is the movie on FFG site, which makes TOI look great. What I like about it and I do not have in Memoir:
- a more tactical approach
- a bigger complexity
- opportunity fire, concentrated fire, etc
- action points based play, not cards based
- more types of units
- unit fatigue, combination of different soldiers or units in a squad, the whole squad approach

Of course, I may be missing some features, but I would sure love to have these in a game. Since TOI is a little pricey, and since my wife does not really approve this ("one wargame is enough"), is there any chance somebody tried to port some rules from TOI to memoir ? If not, do you think it would be worth the time ?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
It's like comunism in Switzerland, it can be done, but wouldn't that be a shame? M44 and ToI share the theme, the hex grid and that's about it. The things you mention you're interested in are fundamental to the system behind the game. Change that and you have a whole different thing. In your case a half baked ToI using M44 pieces. Screw that, even if it's expensive. My advice is if you like M44 for the system, then go for Commands & Colors: Ancients, which is more complex than M44 but within the same boundaries. If you like M44 for the theme and the ability to blow up tanks, skip ToI an go for Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42. It's a much better game in term of flow and concepts and has the same things you're looking for on top of being very easy to understand/explain to other nonwargamers, which I asume most of your opponents are, being romanian and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tell your wife wargames are like shoes; except instead of pumps, flats, and heels, you need card driven, hex and counter, and grand tactical.

I know I am not being helpful but it sounds like TOI would be worth the investment to you, besides I know of no variant that fills your wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have any Axis and Allies collectable miniatures, try using the memoir board & command deck, and the A&A collectable miniatures and rules. Makes a great change from both games.

I also go a step further and use the TOI map boards and landmarks, with the Memoir command deck and the A&A collectable miniatures and rules. It plays great and looks great... but you don't want to buy TOI

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Memoir, all the expansions, and TOI, all the expansions, and I am almost ready to buy a case of the AA minis LOL.I love AA minis but its just a pain buying collectibles. I really want the DDAY edition but its hard to find.
I would like to see TOI rules on Memoir too, mainly so I can play TOI on VASSAL. I have a hard enough time finding memoir opponents, I havent even tried TOI haha. I have played maybe 2 games of TOI so far. I think its easy to outgrow Memoir, as with any introductory game but its still fun. But something about TOI and the tactical measure makes it more you and not the cards. Thats sort of what I like about memoir is when I lose I can always blame the cards haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have TOI, Memoir, A&A collectable miniatures and WW2 Barbarossa to Berlin and I love all of them.

I prefer TOI to Memoir, but it doesn't get as much play due to the setup/teardown/playing times.

Strangely though, the more Memoir I play (and I play it a LOT solo), the more I enjoy it. I play the same scenario 3 times in a row. This cuts out a LOT of setup/teardown times, and makes for some interesting tries at alternate strategy. It plays really FAST solo too. You soon learn to focus just on what is in front of you and play without your brain referencing what you know about each side. The trick is also never to treat one side as 'yours'. Just play for the sheer joy of it. I also log all the results on a spreadsheet I've created in OPEN OFFICE (free from the java website), just to make sure that I'm not subliminally favouring one side (and I'm not... or I'm really crap at cheating)

My spreadsheet logs all the scenarios for Battleore and expansions, memoir and expansions (including the 64 air pack scenarios) and Manoeuvre as well.

If anyone wants it, just drop me an email:

philmcd2@btinternet.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love M'44 and TOI

But if you're liking TOI you may want to look at Conflict of Heroes before purchasing TOI...

CoH plays faster than TOI and has great depth of play.

There are some drawbacks:
-If you prefer miniatures CoH uses counters and does not seem easily adaptable to a miniatures format.
-CoH does not have the variation or expandability yet like M'44 or TOI as it focuses on the early Eastern Front

As far as combat systems go I think CoH has the best balance of detail and quickness of play... Just lacking expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just received CoH and the swamp expansion map. Now I just need to read the rules

Looking forward to playing it, but it won't stop me giving some love to TOI and the others.

How long does a CoH scenario take to play once you know what you're doing?

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
About an hour an a half. By the way I went out and bought the Axis and Allies minis today.. I found the dday edition at a local store and couldnt pass it up! :) Now I gotta try that variant mentioned further up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pirciu
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
North Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up buying Tide of Iron (the wife approval factor grew slowly over the last week :)) and it seems a wonderful game, and, more important, I don't think it will replace Memoir, just complete my humble wargaming experience.

As for the tactical rules for Memoir, I found some house rules here which add some spice to the base game (I tested only a small part):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/30656
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/33548
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/5929
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34971

and other 1 or 2 more files in the files section, but they don't generally do what I wanted.

I can say now, as I went over most of the TOI rules and gameplay, that Andrei(fixpix) is right: it is a bit pointless to "port" its mechanics to Memoir and whoever finds it attractive should buy it.

Thank you for all your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you've got TOI don't forget to try try mixing and matching it with other games. It's like free expansion packs

Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.