Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the WARS forum, but (a) have not received a response yet; and (b) think the question may be one that other CCG vets could handle.

To start, neither my opponent nor me are CCG vets, so if this seems stupid, bear with me.

I do not understand the timing of playing cards that affect other events. I thought I understood the stack concept, but then the Comprehensive Rules 1.5 that I downloaded made no sense to me whatsoever.

Here is the situation.

We are in the middle of a battle at a site. I have in play a Skikami Follower. It has an ability that allows me to dismiss (i.e. trash, discard, put in the lost pile) one of my other units in order to make my opponent's battle destiny minus three.

O.K., that seemed pretty obvious to me - I see what my opponent's battle destiny is, and if it is a high number, it is probably worth my dismissing a low value unit of my own to reduce the battle destiny. I figure the way the stack works, the battle destiny of my opponent goes on the stack when revealed, then I put my "lower by three" action on the stack, they resolve in reverse order, and I am golden.

But then I read the "Battle Phase" section of the Comprehensive Rules 1.5 (page 2). It states, as the second step, before the step where you even reveal you battle destiny, the following:

"Both players have the opportunity to play interrupts and use activated abilities. This is the last opportunity to perform actions that affect battle destiny. When both players pass consecutively and the stack is empty, the battle destiny step begins."

Am I reading this right? Do I basically have to make the decision to sacrifice a unit to lower my opponent's battle destiny by three, before I even find out what my opponent's battle destiny is? (E.g., it could be zero, thus I dismissed a card for nothing.)

This does not make a lot of sense from a game related standpoint. It also does not seem to comply with my understanding (limited) of the "stack" and "interrupt" rules in most CCGs.

Yet the Comprehensive Rules 1.5 seem pretty clear on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Your understanding of this is correct. Essentially, battle destiny can't be modified after the fact by interrupts and activated abilities (but still can by triggered abilities). So you're taking a chance as to whether or not you want to reduce battle destiny (and, in effect, reduce the attrition that affects you).

Why is this good from a gameplay standpoint? Well, your opponent may be playing with a lot of higher destiny number cards in their deck, so you know that this ability is useful. Or maybe they've weeded out all of their low destiny number cards and all that's left are high number cards. There may be other cards in that race that key off of reducing battle destiny (it's been a while since I've played WARS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading of the rules, it doesn't look like it has much to do with the stack. The ability has to be used in one phase/step, and the destiny happens in another phase/step. The stack doesn't carry over multiple phases/steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
From my reading of the rules, it doesn't look like it has much to do with the stack. The ability has to be used in one phase/step, and the destiny happens in another phase/step. The stack doesn't carry over multiple phases/steps.

The only reason I question its use in connection with the stack is because in most CCGs, to my understanding, triggered and activated abilities on cards may routinely be used to affect things to which they trigger or activate on after those things are played (here, an item affects and is activated in connection with battle destiny, but somewhat oddly, in my opinion, apparently can not be played after battle destiny is "placed on the stack").

Again, I admit that I'm not a heavy CCG player (although I've played a few casually and studied the rules to even more), so I might be messing up that general concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Sanny
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm AMAZED that anyone is even playing Wars ccg.
I like it and all, but Decipher kind of went belly up.
I know they are still trying, but they should just give up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörgen Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most players in my 'hood only played Wars because of SWCCG.
Wars sucked rather bad, but in its best moments it did remind me of the SWCCG greatness.
My blue space beatdown deck was awesome.

It's as if Decipher just lost track of what made SWCCG such a great game (indeed, they lost track of this some time before SWCCG went out of production).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurgenaut wrote:
Wars sucked rather bad. . . .

Why do you say this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörgen Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
jurgenaut wrote:
Wars sucked rather bad. . . .

Why do you say this?

I suppose I should have added "compared to the original".

The intermingling of 5 factions destroyed much. This random guy, let's call him Han Solo, joined forces with another guy called Boba Fett to fight Han Solo and his pal Boba Fett. According to the story, Han Solo and Boba Fett were enemies. The concept was ludicrous.

Most weapons (ie all non-lightsabers) sucked in SWCCG, so Decipher took that concept and then increased the cost to use weapons and removed all "hit = instantly lost" or "hit = forfeit 0" effects that made weapons good in the first place.
Instead they added shit that triggered on that you had weapons in battle, so it didn't matter what weapon you had, only that you had some weapon there.

All the "dismiss another guy when played" cards sucked. In a game where you are supposed to not run out of cards you wont win by paying two cards for a unit when you can pay one.

The story was dumb. I can accept that aliens suddenly invade our system, and that the human race will shatter into splinter factions. But why does this wormhole thing make people into Jedi, sorry, Kizen?

Personally I didn't like the addition of an event stack. Most games with a stack rewards only those who know how to exploit it. When your opponent utters the word "that goes on the stack", you know you've made a mistake. I play card that says "if X is alive then kill Y". Opponent, in response, plays "if Y is alive, kill X". The first card played fizzles. You lose if you play your card first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.