col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If not, why not?

What about a single president or an openly gay president?

What other factors - aside from policy or party - would influence you to vote for or not vote for a particular candidate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes, and yes, if they convinced me they were the candidate who best reflected my positions on the issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote for any of the above, although in a primary, being openly atheist or gay would make a case for electability difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessitron wrote:
I would vote for any of the above, although in a primary, being openly atheist or gay would make a case for electability difficult

You're quite generous. Being atheist would make a candidate completely unelectable by the general populous. It's horribly hypocritical, but it's the truth.

To your average American, freedom means "freedom to be like me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessitron wrote:

You mean because of how it would influence other (the majority of?) voters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, if they promised to dismantle this crappy government we have now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Anyone who belives a candidate who says this, come talk to me. I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Being atheist would make a candidate completely unelectable by the general populous. It's horribly hypocritical, but it's the truth.

I can't understand why this is - in the UK religious affiliation has little to no bearing on voting patterns. What is it that makes it such a big deal in the US? Just the sheer number of voters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
quozl wrote:

Anyone who belives a candidate who says this, come talk to me. I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you.

I have this curse that I believe what people say. I'm trying to get better. So how cheap is this property you're selling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hogan
United States
zimmerman
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

To your average American, freedom means "freedom to be like me."

Wouldn't you rather elect someone like yorself? Then you know you're ideals and freedoms will be protected. Elections never work out that way, because no candidate can ever be that perfect for each person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
Being atheist would make a candidate completely unelectable by the general populous. It's horribly hypocritical, but it's the truth.

I can't understand why this is - in the UK religious affiliation has little to no bearing on voting patterns. What is it that makes it such a big deal in the US? Just the sheer number of voters?

Number of undereducated voters, history of bigotry against just about anything different, tiny minority of athiests in general. Take your pick, there are many reasons. The polls are conclusive, though, being an athiest is the worst thing a political candidate can admit in this country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
being an athiest is the worst thing a political candidate can admit in this country.

So this means that, in general, Americans believe that belief in God makes you a better leader?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
being an athiest is the worst thing a political candidate can admit in this country.

So this means that, in general, Americans believe that belief in God makes you a better leader?

One could draw that conclusion, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
If being openly atheistic is their platform then no. I would totally vote for a kick ass president that also happens to be an atheist. But I would never vote for some one based on their religious beliefs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

It goes back to the mistaken conviction that if you don't have a god holding the threat of eternal damnation over your head, you'll never act ethically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hell yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
col_w wrote:

Cause we're not all godless heathens like you Europeans.

Ok, but the original question stands. I see you sporting a Christian microbadge. Would you vote for an openly atheist president, and if not why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
joebelanger wrote:
If being openly atheistic is their platform then no. I would totally vote for a kick ass president that also happens to be an atheist. But I would never vote for some one based on their religious beliefs.

QFT.

Now, if I found out that the President played Descent, I'd switch parties and vote for him in a SECOND!!!

Unless he was Libertarian. Those guys are creeeeepy.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
It goes back to the mistaken conviction that if you don't have a god holding the threat of eternal damnation over your head, you'll never act ethically.

I think most religious people wpould tell you that's not why religious people act ethically!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I hate throwing away my vote, so I'm always going to vote for a major party candidate. No major party is within a decade or two of nominating a godless heathen, closeted gay (single) or openly gay candidate.

If one did, then sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whirlinghurly wrote:

Wouldn't you rather elect someone like yorself? Then you know you're ideals and freedoms will be protected. Elections never work out that way, because no candidate can ever be that perfect for each person.

This wasn't addressed to me specifically, but I'll just say "no, I would rather vote for almost any sort of person other than myself."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

I'll throw out a possible (maybe even plausible) explanation...

People like to elect people who are like themselves. The US is such a hodgepodge of cultures that its nearly impossible to say 'that's American, that's like me!'. (What is a typical American anyways?) As such, they latch onto the only thing that they can say they have in common with their fellow citizens - religion. If a candidate declares himself absent of religion, he's essentially saying he has no connection to the people he's suppose to represent - that is, he says he's unelectable.

I'm always a little surprised when countries with much less cultural diversity and smaller populations are surprised that the US is not more homogeneous. Getting 3 people to agree on an identity is hard enough - how are you going to get 300 million to agree.

On a related note, China dwarfs the US in both population and cultural diversity. It seems to have solved this problem by making everyone elected from 1 party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
If being openly atheistic is their platform then no.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean someone whose equivalent of "Change we can believe in" was "God's something we should not believe in"?

Can you give an example of a candidate whose religious beliefs were "their platform" in the way you're thinking of for an atheist? I could see Mike Huckabee, Alan Keyes or Pat Robertson fitting the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
No. I hate throwing away my vote, so I'm always going to vote for a major party candidate.

Now that's a contradiction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
No. I hate throwing away my vote, so I'm always going to vote for a major party candidate.

Now that's a contradiction!

I think you're confusing terms. Throwing away a vote usually refers to voting for someone you know cannot possibly be elected. When you vote for a major party candidate it's referred to as flushing your vote down the toilet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.