Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trade League Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know once you have trade league in play, there's no reason to choose Consume: Trade, but this question came up in my most recent game by chance and I wanted to know what the official ruling is.

Suppose you have two green windfalls in your tableau with zero consumption powers. You choose Consume: Trade this round and another player chooses Develop. As it happens, you have Trade League in hand and develop it off of the other player's develop action. Now, consume comes and you trade your mandatory green good for 5 (4 +1 for trade league). Now, by my understanding of the rules, you must now ALSO trade the other green good for another 5 cards since the trade during IV power on TL doesn't appear to say anything about being optional. Is this a correct interpretation that in this instance, you would be required to trade both cards for what will surely be too many cards in hand and thusly somewhat wasteful? Or does TL have any sort of special rule that you don't have to do it?

Another question along those lines is black market trading world. If I have that down and I chose to trade a good, am I still forced to trade the other good (without bonuses) through BMTW even though I already did a proper trade?

Thanks guys
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trade for the Consume/Trade card is mandatory, as is the Consume abilities of all Developments and Worlds that do not explicitly state otherwise. I would expect you would be forced to trade both goods in this scenario (at least, that's how I've always played it in the past).

At least you'll be back to having a full grip again, though.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade League is a consumption power and does not state is optional. Therefore, like all other consume powers, if there is a good to use with it you must.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes to both. In these cases, Deficit Spending is your friend...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smeding
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar wrote:
Trade League is a consumption power and does not state is optional. Therefore, like all other consume powers, if there is a good to use with it you must.


Wow. That's a total noob move for me. I've always played Trade League as an optional consume power. I'm confirming that Black Market World is also 'you must trade if you can'. ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GFireflyE wrote:
I'm confirming that Black Market World is also 'you must trade if you can'. ?



Yes. If you do have a good produced and no other consume power, you must use the BMTW consume power (trade the good for cards).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
.......... Is this a correct interpretation that in this instance, you would be required to trade both cards for what will surely be too many cards in hand and thusly somewhat wasteful? Or does TL have any sort of special rule that you don't have to do it?

Another question along those lines is black market trading world. If I have that down and I chose to trade a good, am I still forced to trade the other good (without bonuses) through BMTW even though I already did a proper trade?

Thanks guys



Yes. If you had Trade League, BMTW, and then picked Consume Trade, you would be getting many cards for those 3 "trades" assuming you had at least 3 goods for all of those. It may be wasteful, but

1) it's better to do this then to explore and help others (e.g. look at 15 cards, keep 10 of them minus however many you had in your hand to begin with)
2) goes through the deck quicker if you're trying to initiate the reshuffle so you can have a chance to get specific card(s)
3) In exp #1, there's a goal (bonus points) associated with this


Tom Lehmann wrote:
Yes to both. In these cases, Deficit Spending is your friend...
As is Merchant World, although that will give you +2 cards per trade wow
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An important distinction.

You SOLD one good for it's trade value.
You CONSUMED the other good through Trade League/Black Market Trading World for a number of cards equal to its trade value.

The TRADE was required because you played the IV/$ action card.
The CONSUME was required because you had one consume power and one good to fuel it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
An important distinction.

You SOLD one good for it's trade value.
You CONSUMED the other good through Trade League/Black Market Trading World for a number of cards equal to its trade value.

The TRADE was required because you played the IV/$ action card.
The CONSUME was required because you had one consume power and one good to fuel it.
And yet another, if you're playing with timing rules.... all ACTUAL Trades occur first. THEN you Consume your goods as if you were trading them... and whatever else for VPs and etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

it's better to do this then to explore and help others (e.g. look at 15 cards, keep 10 of them minus however many you had in your hand to begin with)


This is a good point. I think people can potentially be psyched out (can't think of a better term right now) by having to discard at the end of turn after a big trade - due mainly to the negative implications of terms like "discard". If you frame it in terms of an Explore equivalent, the picture looks very different. In your example: draw 15, keep (say) 8 is like an Explore +13/+7, for the cost of a couple of goods! (And your opponent(s) may not get any cards out of it.)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very interesting point I hadn't ever considered. I am actually going to make a point of creating a ridiculous card engine in a game soon to use it as a massive explore power and see how it works out for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.