CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, it's been too long. I haven't played any flavor of settlers of catan in forever, and I really like the game.

So tonight I'm going to hopefully rectify that. See if we can get a game of Settlers+C&K+Seafarers all in one. Going back to one of my root staples.

At one time a gaming friend of mine wanted to put together a regular Settlers night to try and play all the expansions and the stuff out of Das Book! Susan??

Got woodd10-4sheep?

So tell me has it been to long for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
At least 3 years.

Unfortunately, my college buddies think too highly of C&K (6-player, no less), and apparently despise Seafarers. Das Book sits, unloved, on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I prolly do a Catan game at least six or seven times a year. Great friggin' GAME!

But the reason I post is, Cities and Knights at six-player? OMFG. Three. Tops. And then only three fast players. C&K's is the preferred way to play, but it's too long for what it is, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus, why I haven't played in 3+ years.

I really oughta fix up my CatanBox, too. Needs new hinges and latches. Add that to the list of weekend projects...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's one of my favourite games, but I haven't played it in at least 5 months. I'll be getting a game in for sure this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RentonT wrote:
Seeing as how my group has only been gaming for around two months, we've played it a fair amount. But we have skipped over playing it for a few sessions while trying to play a lot of new stuff. I think we all want another game next time we get together.

That's how it starts. First your group plays it a lot, then you join the C.o.t.N...few years pass....next thing you know you are posting on BGG that it's been forever since you played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Rarely gets played due to the group's collective CultOfTheNewItis. Whenever a new scenario is published, someone buys it and it gets played once. I am optimistic that my daughter will be ready for Catan in a year or so.

Long ago, a subset of my group used to get together one Saturday each month and play some flavor of Catan. Great times...

Last year, my 2p gaming partner and I started on the Starship Catan scenarios. We played the first two, but then got distracted by Through the Ages.

Personally, I think Seafarers makes the game too long. Some of the book scenarios that use ships (e.g., Great Race) are stellar. But the combo of Seafarers and C&K I found especially annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 6 days for me. We played it constantly when we first got it back in October. Mary had experience with the game, while it was brand new to me. Then we didn't play it for about four months. Then we pulled it out to teach a friend last Friday. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets played again tonight or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
So tonight I'm going to hopefully rectify that. See if we can get a game of Settlers+C&K+Seafarers all in one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:

Looks like I have my work cut out for me tonight...Like herding cats...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just over 9 months for me (June 8, 2008, was my last play). That sounds long, but really it's not much; I play "adult-only" games only a few times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the groups I play with plays Catan almost exclusively- that is they play other stuff, but Catan always gets a go. Consequently I play it every month or two.

Often these are 5 or 6 player C&K - and I echo Derk's comments: don't go there unless you have to. 3 is the ideal number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught my parents how to play, so I play at least once a month when I visit home.

Sometimes when I visit my hometown, I play Catan till around 9 or 10pm when my parents go to bed, and then go hang out with my friends from high school playing more Catan till 3am or so. That tends to result in weird dreams....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been over a year and I can't say that I'm in a big rush to change that either. The last few times I've played it I couldn't wait for the game to be over so we could move to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Persson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been about a year for me. Problem is I won it 10 times in a row so now no one wants to play it anymore... Really annoying, I love that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mostly just the two of us, so Catan doesn't come out very often. A table was playing it at the game group we went to last Friday, but I was already involved in a game of Agricola. I like having a copy, and I'll play if it's being played, but I don't miss it - we have plenty of cool 2p games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
So tonight I'm going to hopefully rectify that. See if we can get a game of Settlers+C&K+Seafarers all in one. Going back to one of my root staples.

Two hours of pure hell, it was...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 5 minutes.

The wife and I just finished up a game of a 2P variant: http://www.baumfamily.org/dave/settlers.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got wood for sheep!

Catan is a fantastic game! I can usually only get in about 1 game/month. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Two hours of pure hell, it was...

Sorry Ed, you were in kind of a bad spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But success! We got in a playing of C&K tonight...whoo hoo! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan has too big of a kingmaking aspect for my tastes these days. Watching someone make a trade like "2 ore 2 wheat for your sheep" makes me nauseous. The other bad aspect is the "I AM GOING TO PUT THE ROBBER ON YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" metagaming. Ugh.

Although I have packed it in my gaming bag a few times in the past few months, but no one gives it a serious try.

Cities & Knights is actually pretty fun. There was a period where I thought it was the only way to play. Seafarers has always been so-so.

The game is essentially a three-player game, and not due to play time. It's due to four players being so crowded that someone is out of the game from the very start. Not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
27-Dec-2008
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Last played on 2009-01-15 w/wife. We've done the basic game, and the first expansion (The Space Amoeba). I've got the second expansion (The Asteroid) all printed up and ready to go any evening now...

Last played on 2008-11-07 w/local game group. Yes, the original German version (Mayfair Sucks!) Even introduced a young gamer (13 years old? 14?) to the game. We just played the basic game, and I'd like to coerce them into playing some more...

Last played on 2008-11-01 w/wife. We love this Catan vairant: the best in my opinion. And yes again, the original German version (Mayfair STILL Sucks!). Sometimes we play with theme decks, sometimes not. She almost always beats me, since she concentrates on what's important, while I get sidetracked trying to do "clever" things. I hate this game! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier in the week if xbox against comp AI counts, if it doens't then it's been a month or two for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.