Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I am repeating an old post, but I am a little confused about action resolving order.

For example (for 2 players game, basic, no expansions):
1. Both players choose EXPLORE. In which order they draw the cards? (I would say that the player with the lowest number on the starting world draws first, but I want to be sure)

2. The same question for the situation when both choose SETTLE. The worlds are turned face up simultaneously, but who draws the bonus card first?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All actions in all phases should be chosen simultaneously and executed in start world number order.

Doesn't matter if one or both players choose any given action either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
The order of drawing cards is irrelevant until you are close to the end of the deck. Otherwise, the lower numbered starting planet gets to draw their cards first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
The order of drawing cards is irrelevant until you are close to the end of the deck. Otherwise, the lower numbered starting planet gets to draw their cards first.

many groups enforce order consistantly so it's not an exception but the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
byronczimmer wrote:
badweasel wrote:

Except the rules state otherwise, so consistently enforcing it is the exception to the rule. The rules state it is only relevant when:

-A few cards left in the supply
-VP chips might run out
-Settling near the end of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
First to go is whoever has the lowest number starting world. Then order just proceeds clockwise, not to the next lowest starting world.

It only matters for the case you describe if the deck is running low.

But, there's one thing I've never been clear in these type of games. If player A can draw enough cards for Explore from the deck, but there are not enough for player B, should player A choose the cards they keep and put the others in the discards before shuffling to deal cards to player B?

I've never really worried about it, because nobody really knows whether the card you want is in player A's discards. If you enforced it this way, it would slow the game down a lot, because both players can't think simultaneously about what cards to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
All draws are done for Explore before any discards; see the rules page 3 (it is implied by "then" in the main explore rule and explicitly noted in the adjacent sidebar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
badweasel wrote:

Except the rules state otherwise, so consistently enforcing it is the exception to the rule. The rules state it is only relevant when:

-VP chips might run out

IMO, it's not only relevant in these cases, because the rules also states "In this and similar cases..." (my emphasis).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:

-VP chips might run out

The VP chips running out is not relevant in any way I can see, you are supposed to grab more from the box if they run out, using a finite supply is just as a timer on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabaki wrote:
badweasel wrote:

-VP chips might run out

The VP chips running out is not relevant in any way I can see, you are supposed to grab more from the box if they run out, using a finite supply is just as a timer on the game.

Right, but manipulating the end of the game is what they are talking about. There may be a time when you don't want the game to end, and decide to consume in a different way sot he points aren't depleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar wrote:
sabaki wrote:
badweasel wrote:

-VP chips might run out

Right, but manipulating the end of the game is what they are talking about. There may be a time when you don't want the game to end, and decide to consume in a different way sot he points aren't depleted.

Ah yes, fair enough, I don't see those often enough, so I forget they exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
badweasel wrote:

-VP chips might run out

The rules state that everything that should be done simultaneously should be done so.

It is impossible to allocate cards simultaneously. Because the deck is randomized and therefor any card has an equal chance to be any given card, it is irrelevant who gets which card unless there is a reshuffle needed during the allocation. Consistently enforcing player order mechanics does not change anything, except to make it routine when it is necessary to enforce such order.

When VP allocation is required, any given VP is the same as any other, but many groups enjoy knowing what other players are doing, so announcing one's resolution so others may hear what you have earned must be done in a non-simultaneous manner. For lack of any other order, consistently enforcing player order mechanics does not change anything, except to make it routine when it is necessary to enforce such order. It can be argued that someone with enough foreplanning will consider every depletion of the VP pool to be critical.

When Developing or Settling, many groups enjoy knowing what other players are building and that they are indeed paying the proper amount (accounting for all discounts AND penalties). Again, such announcements must be done in a non-simultaneous manner. For lack of any other order, consistently enforcing player order mechanics does not change anything, except to make it routine when it is necessary to enforce such order.

I find, when teaching, that using player actions as concrete examples cements the game in people's heads. Most games have order and structure, and removing that familiar crutch makes the game more accessible to the average player. It doesn't change anything, and those items which can be simultaneous are still chosen and executed simultaneously.

The rules state that at any time, a player may invoke player order.
I simply stated that
Quote:
many groups enforce order consistantly so it's not an exception but the rule

So for those groups who consistently enforce order, for them, it is the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandru Stanuta
Romania
Berceni
ILFOV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still one question regarding the same subject (remember - 2 player basic game, no expansion):

SETUP:
Player 1 has OLD EARTH (0).
Player 2 has NEW SPARTA (3)
Player 1 has 2 goods, one consume power.
Player 2 has 3 goods, 3 consume powers.

Player 1 chooses CONSUME->Trade
Player 2 chooses CONSUME->VPx2.

How are the actions solved?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Player 1 trades one of his goods
Player 1 consumes his remaining good
Player 2 consumes his goods for double victory points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.