Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game I have been working on and now have it to a play testable prototype. and thanks to the recent artscow card sale it now looks really good.

My question is when do you submit the game to the database? Once its complete and ready to submit to game companies or at the complete prototype assuming some games will never get published?

And how about the designer badge? When do you submit yourself as a designer?

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rule is: it has to be available. Or become available. So either the game will be published or it will be PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are serious about getting a publisher to pick up then I'd suggest not submitting until it is very ready.

If however you are looking to either self publish or PnP then you have more flexibility. I put my game design up on BGG as a way to help drive interest in getting playtesters from this community. That has worked very well, and I am lucky to have found several dedicated people that are really helping me clarify the rules (which is very difficult, written rules being much harder than verbally explaining the game and being there to coach players) as well as giving me new people that will play the game differently in order to find where the game breaks down. My end goal would be to do a small self publishing run if it is very well recieved, or issue as a PnP.

It is easy to get a game designer badge, I think you just need to ask. Personally I am not going to get one until I have a game that is ranked on BGG (at least 25 ratings). This is just my own feelings, I haven't actually designed a game until I have one that a community of people has played and was enthuastic enough to follow through and rate. As I go through external blind playtesting I am finding that that process takes more work than the initial design and internal playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The badge comes after you have submitted your game. You do not have to beg, steal or borrow it just appears.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.