Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vice Presidency Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Chapman
msg tools
Played my first game last night, all of the reading of the forum posts and such I had done helped out a lot.

But...I ran into one thing I wasn't sure of. The President played the card that names another person as Vice President and that the card "stays in play". How exactly do you get rid of it, or can you not?

I know with "33" the 'stays in play' text causes it to go back into the crisis deck if the fleet jumps, but I didn't see any kind of specifics on when/if the quorum card expires.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Assign Vice President card stays in play until the Vice President is revealed as a Cylon. Otherwise, he remains VP until the end of the game - including if he himself becomes President.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
msg tools
Thanks.


Thought of one other question though. A similar thing came up with the card (forgive me, I can't remember the title) where you can no longer look at other player's loyalty cards.

What would cause that to 'cycle' or be removed from the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Lundgren
Sweden
Göteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
If the card in question is Quorum Card, then I believe that open Quorum cards are discarded when a new player becomes president.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iorlas wrote:
If the card in question is Quorum Card, then I believe that open Quorum cards are discarded when a new player becomes president.

Open Quorum cards are only discarded if you reveal as a Cylon and this only affects the cards in front of you. If the President changes, they only pass along the deck and the current hand of cards. Keep in play cards remain where they are
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On case 1 above, I may be incorrect. I haven't seen the entire season so it may be that the VP card is meant to be a "permanent" card for that player that even if they become president, they are only supposed to be so temporarily and would immediately move back down to VP if someone else were to become president.

I have sent off a question to Corey for clarifiaction. (However, the card would still be discarded if you reveal as a Cylon as outline in the FAQ).

Drakain wrote:
Thanks.


Thought of one other question though. A similar thing came up with the card (forgive me, I can't remember the title) where you can no longer look at other player's loyalty cards.

What would cause that to 'cycle' or be removed from the game?

Are you talking about "Release Cylon Mugshots"? If so, that card is discarded as soon as you take the action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakain wrote:
Thanks.


Thought of one other question though. A similar thing came up with the card (forgive me, I can't remember the title) where you can no longer look at other player's loyalty cards.

What would cause that to 'cycle' or be removed from the game?


There's a crisis that does this. Is that the one you're referring to? If so, it's in play for the remainder of the game and there's nothing you can do to remove it if the skill check fails.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chapman
msg tools
perfalbion wrote:
Drakain wrote:
Thanks.


Thought of one other question though. A similar thing came up with the card (forgive me, I can't remember the title) where you can no longer look at other player's loyalty cards.

What would cause that to 'cycle' or be removed from the game?


There's a crisis that does this. Is that the one you're referring to? If so, it's in play for the remainder of the game and there's nothing you can do to remove it if the skill check fails.


It was the crisis that I was referrring to. Alright, so it does stay in play then? We were debating on that, but thanks for clearing it up.

Are we waiting to hear back from Corey regarding a definate course of action on the Vice Presidency card though?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakain wrote:
Are we waiting to hear back from Corey regarding a definate course of action on the Vice Presidency card though?

Yes. I based condition 1 above on an implication.

But after looking at it some more, if you follow the letter of the law, a human that is assigned the VP should be considered the VP for life, even when president.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quorum card...
Release Cylon Mugshots

The Cylons have the ability to mimic human form; they look like us now. This man has been identified as a Cylon agent. We believe him to be responsible for the bombing. -Laura Roslin

Action: Look at 1 random Loyalty Card belonging to any other player, then roll a die. If 3 or less, lose 1 morale. Then discard this card





Skill Check card...
Detector Sabatoge

pass 8 on green and purple

FAIL effect:
All characters in the "Research Lab" location are sent to "Sickbay". Keep this card in play. Players may not look at other players' Loyalty Cards

Heavy raiders activate + go one on jump prep track



This card is indeed permanent if failed
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Quorum card...
Release Cylon Mugshots

The Cylons have the ability to mimic human form; they look like us now. This man has been identified as a Cylon agent. We believe him to be responsible for the bombing. -Laura Roslin

Action: Look at 1 random Loyalty Card belonging to any other player, then roll a die. If 3 or less, lose 1 morale. Then discard this card





Skill Check card...
Detector Sabatoge

pass 8 on green and purple

FAIL effect:
All characters in the "Research Lab" location are sent to "Sickbay". Keep this card in play. Players may not look at other players' Loyalty Cards

Heavy raiders activate + go one on jump prep track



This card is indeed permanent if failed

The thematic reason for this is that the cylon detector was sabotaged, so you can't detect them anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Drakain wrote:
Are we waiting to hear back from Corey regarding a definate course of action on the Vice Presidency card though?

Yes. I based condition 1 above on an implication.

But after looking at it some more, if you follow the letter of the law, a human that is assigned the VP should be considered the VP for life, even when president.


This isn't true. Season 3 Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In Season 3, Tom Zarek, who was Vice President under Baltar, becomes President because Baltar is thought to be dead. Admiral Adama insists he steps down,after naming Laura Roslin Vice President. Laura Roslin, as a special favour to Tom, agrees to make him her Vice President after he steps down. If the Vice Presidency was permanent, no special favour would be needed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Drakain wrote:
Are we waiting to hear back from Corey regarding a definate course of action on the Vice Presidency card though?

Yes. I based condition 1 above on an implication.

But after looking at it some more, if you follow the letter of the law, a human that is assigned the VP should be considered the VP for life, even when president.


This isn't true.

Shhh! I am not there yet in the series!

My point is common sense says the card should be discarded. If you become pres, you ar eno longer veep. so toss the card. But the card doesn't really say that so it's intent could be that it stay with whoever received it until the end of the game or if they are revealed as a Cylon.

So what I meant by "letter of the law" was strict rule interpretation (nothing thematic) in that the card does not say to discard it if you become pres so technically you should hang on to it until the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. I've now labelled the spoiler more clearly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Corey:

Quote:
This card [Assign Vice President] is only discarded if the player becomes a revealed cylon. According to the text on the card, it has no effect if the player is president, but is not discarded.

I hope that this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
Fantasy Flight Games
Design and Development
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.