Hide
19 Posts

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie» Forums » General

Subject: Other uses for Heroscape. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anne Welborn
msg tools
I've recently been able to buy two Valkyrie master sets 2nd hand and my main interest in buying them was to get the terrain tiles. In the past I've sometimes wanted to lay out a landscape or senario for a wargaming ruleset (WHFB, LotR, VSF, MageKnight Dungeons & etc) and have lacked the necessary terrain to set the scene.
While making large terrain pieces is fun, trying to store them without damage is no fun at all. That's why as soon as I saw the Heroscape terrain tiles I knew I was onto a winner.
Almost all of the figures in the master set are useful for other rulesets. My High Elf fantasy army now has one of the dragons and my Orcs and Goblins now have a new dinosaur mounted Warlord. And I can tell you that flexible plastic is a great material to make a large wargaming model from because problems with damage largely cease to exist.
Some figures will reappear as Hero Quest heros, other will become Aliens for VSF or else as steampunk war robots (with a small amount of modification) for VSF as well.
The only figures I don't know what to do with yet are the dark coats and shades 'Matrix' figures and the US Airbourne boys.

I'm looking forward to finding more master sets so I can build larger terrain pieces and obtain more Samurai so I can put together a useful sized warband. Extra Vikings are always handy too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
I forgot to mention that the ruin models are amazingly useful too. The moulding detail is better than excellent and almost every fantasy wargame ever made can use plenty of decent ruins to enhance the game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Quote:
my main interest in buying them was to get the terrain tiles

Yeah, that's what I said too. Or at least it's how I explain having like 18 master sets now.

My mistake was saying at the game shop one day, what the heck, I've bought a couple sets for the terrain, we might as well try the game itself. Now I have the above mentioned master sets and at least 2 of every expansion save the latest.
Heroscape was a surprise. It actually is a very good game. This coming from a crusty old wargamer type.

Quote:
The only figures I don't know what to do with yet are the dark coats and shades 'Matrix' figures and the US Airbourne boys

May I recommend Chain Reaction 3.0
Free from www.twohourwargames.com

The ruins get more use than anything in the box so far, I use em in all sorts of games, and have actually opened several otherwise untouched sets just to have more of em available.

List of games off the top of my head I've used Heroscape components either entirely or in part in:

Chain Reaction
All Things Zombie
Nuts!
FNG
Song of Blades and Heroes
Fast and Dirty skirmish rules
Melee/Wizard/The Fantasy Trip
Algernon Pulls It Off (hex tiles)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen To BOB I tell you - Heroscape Rocks, try it out, who knows we may be sittinga across from each other at GenCon some day playing Heroscape!

But I bought the Terrian for AD&D - now i have no desire to ever play RPG's again - Heroscape is the game I have waited my whole life for ( I am 41 ). Bought Runebound at the same time, that has never been played all though I have painted some figures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Glennie
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
badge
How Wrin Bu Lai, Whai Wrin Bu Jwo!
mbmbmb
My son and I have used the terrain for playing Battletech, the hexes are the right size and its great having real hills and woods to hide behind/in. We also use a laser pointer to see if we can "see" each other. Adds a lot to the game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
For the moment anyway the terrain pieces are what I'm interested in. One set had a full set of figures in pristine condion and the other has one or two missing figures plus ones that are damaged. I've got two complete sets of rulebooks, cards, markers, dice & etc as well.

I'll packup all the essential and Heroscape specific stuff and keep it safe. Who knows one rainy day I just might decide to try out playing the game.
It's mainly the aliens with the strange organic weapons, - the Marro, - that are damaged, and I'm missing one Samurai which is annoying because I like the model figures.
I'll amuse myself with using sculpting putty to repair the Marro and replace their missing bases. I want them for generic Alien invaders mainly, but at least if they're repaired they are available for playing Heroscape.

I notice on e.bay at the moment that traders selling MageKnight figures are saying that they're great for Heroscape too. I would most probably change the Alpha Prime robot figures over to some of the wonderful MageKnight steam golem & etc figures instead, simply because they're just so visually better and I also happen to like steampunk machines.

I'm going to have a close look at those Chain Reaction rules because they're really interesting; - thanks for the link Bob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Sure thing, and if you have any questions the THW Yahoo group is the place to go. The author posts there daily.

Seriously, give Heroscape a try. Skip the basic rules, they were written for young players and don't really show the game in a good light. Dive right into the advanced rules and I think you will be surprised. There is a better game there than I ever would have thought.
I passed Heroscape by many times, thinking it was too silly looking for me to have any use for. Until I saw it on sale and picked up a couple boxes for the terrain as mentioned. But once we played it, we played it again. And again. It may be part of a backlash I've been going through against the over complicated, super detailed, headache inducing games of my younger years but I had a lot of fun with HS. You can pick up any figures you are missing on Ebay pretty cheap, I see people selling components for the ROTV set all the time. But it may be just as cheap to buy another master set...or two lol!
Swarm of the Marro is a good deal if you want more Marro as well, adds a few more types. And they do make good alien invaders for games like Chain Reaction.

Also see www.heroscapers.com for more info on HS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
Now look what you made me do, - I've just signed up with Heroscapers.com

I'm on the brink of building myself a new wargaming table and once I've got it done I'll setup and have a trial game.
The custom terrain section on Heroscapers.com is of great interest as Heroscape stuff isn't exactly thick on the ground here in NZ and if I want to have trees, bridges & etc I'll have to make my own unless I get really lucky.

I've joined the Two Hour Wargames Yahoo group too btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Hehe, good to hear. Hadn't realised you were in NZ, that might indeed make it harder to find stuff. But you may be surprised at the folks on heroscapers.com, you may well find someone willing to trade/buy from there.

I use the trees that came with the RTFF, but I also often use trees of my own making. They are kind of stylised anyway, so fit right in with the HS stuff. You can see one on the edge of this pic, sorry for the terrible photography but I was using my phone lol!

I make pompoms out of yarn, and trim em up and glue em to nails that have been epoxied to 1-1/2 washers. Learned that trick from an old wargame buddy of mine. They look good en masse, and not too bad singly but more importantly you can just chuck em in a box when done. A lot more "travel ready" than the typical model railroad style trees.

That chap who flocked all his tiles in the HS.com terrain section has some really cool stuff. I've been tempted to flock a set or two, but too many other projects in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
Always glad to see another 'how to make a tree' method

I've making enquires about where I can buy Heroscape stuff here in NZ, but I think I'm going to have to make quite a bit of my own terrain bits unless I can find some more basic tile sets.
Flocking tiles certainly looks good, only I'm wondering how permanent it might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
angrysoblue Well that was really annoying. I contacted Toyworld who are the main Hasbro retailers here in NZ and they told me that Hasbro NZ isn't carrying Heroscape in stock anymore. cry

shakeyukBig disappointment, I contacted Hasbro NZ and they said they've got no plans to re-introduce Heroscape to this country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Heroscape was passed on to Wizards of the Coast, don't know what their distribution is like in NZ. Worth asking over at Heroscapers.com probably. And Housemouse Games may ship overseas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
Ah, so that would explain why Hasbro NZ aren't interested in the game anymore. So Wizards of the Coast have got it, - I'll have to see if we have an agent for WotC here. Then on the other hand I've often found it waaaaay easier and quicker to get some game stuff from overseas than to try and buy it from the local distributor.

And thanks for the word on Housemouse, - I checked their website and they do post overseas btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
Um..... well.... I purchased a second hand copy of the master set to get more tiles and I've just discovered that all the figures are still sealed down on their tray, the manual and other bits are still in their bags; AND wot's more it's a sparkly water tile version of the game!

I only decided to get more tiles after making up my mind to only use Playmobil figures for wargaming from now on and now I find myself with a dilemia. I suppose I could carefully pack away all the unopened stuff so it retains its pristine nature and just use the terrain tiles alone.
But wot about the sparkly water tiles? - they're still sealed in their bags too. Would it be an awful crime to use them, - or should I just go ahead anyway and not worry about it?

shakesoblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased 2 used copies of ROV. Both had the sparkley water tiles, one was new in box. I kind of saw it as a crime NOT to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Welborn
msg tools
Adidas02 wrote:
I recently purchased 2 used copies of ROV. Both had the sparkley water tiles, one was new in box. I kind of saw it as a crime NOT to use them.

You're right of course, - it would be a crime not to use such lovely tiles. Thankyou for helping me to come to my senses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look soooo nice in game. Any doubts will be gone once you have a map set up with them. Such a shame they quit producing them.

Anyone know why they went to the solid light blue tiles? Cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.