Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine I am starting an intrigue contest in Koth.

* Every province adjacent to Koth is either controlled by me or has one of my emissaries.

* I am the Conan player and Conan is currently in Koth.

* I also have the Cobra Crown.

This would normally allow me to roll 11 dice in the intrigue contest. This seems kind of extreme. Is there a maximum number of dice allowed for contests?

Thanks,
Peet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick search in the downloaded rulebook for the word "maximum", gave 3 results, all of which state "maximum of 6 dice" (all dealing with contest rolls).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, you can roll max 5 dice in a contest.
The only exception is that due to the presence of Conan, or the effect of a card which explicitly says so, the maximum may become 6 dice.
See page 13 (boldface added):
"There are six contest dice, but normally, no more than five may be rolled by any one player during a contest. There are certain special situations where the sixth die is used. However, the absolute maximum number of dice a player may roll during a contest is six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you. I missed that.

Peet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
The only exception is that due to the presence of Conan, or the effect of a card which explicitly says so, the maximum may become 6 dice.

Those "only exceptions" would be a good clarification for the FAQ.

The way the rules are worded, it sounds like you might be able to use the "absolute maximum" 6 dice if you had five emissaries in adjacent provinces to one in which you were starting an Intrigue contest. A person thinking that way might assume that the "normally 5 dice" refers to the various military contests, where the area stacking holds you down to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The paragraph mentioned does not make any distinction between military and intrigue contest.

If you can "normally" use 6 dice in an intrigue contest, what would be the meaning of the sentence "you can normally use 5 dice in a contest" and why should certain cards specify "add a die (up to six)"?

Also the paragraph makes clear that the use of the 6th die is limited to "special cases".
The original wording of the rule was slightly different:
"Normally the maximum number of dice you may roll in a contest is 5; you can only roll 6 dice if a rule or a card text explicitly says so", Is this clearer than the current english text?

Generally speaking, I'd be very careful to turn the FAQ (where "F" should stand for "frequently") in an "AQ" where even questions which are addressed by the rules are answered again...

Many questions have been asked in these days which have pretty clear explanations in the rules (including this one, IMHO) and while we will include some of them in the FAQ, I think that a careful reading of the rules must be a pre-requisite for playing the game properly.

And the OP clearly did not have a clear idea of the rule, given that he assumed he could use up to 11 dice.

Did anybody else mis-interpreted this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No...! (6 Max)- Got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.