Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Obama puts foot in mouth with Special Olympics comment on Jay Leno. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It boggles my mind that people waste their time worring about every word that comes out of his mouth if it doesn't involve our countries policy.

People sometimes miss speak, it happens.

I don't agree with his policy, but this is one thing I won't fault the guy for nor will I even crucify him with the teleprompter thing.

People make mistakes because they are human, lets focus on the well being of our country and quit worring about this extra crap.

Even though there were some scrutiny in regards to his being on Jay Leno, I don't think it was a bad thing and he seemed to get a little personal with regards to how it feels being the President.

Over all not a bad interview, should have left politics completely out of it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Obama makes puts foot in mouth with Special Olympics comment on Jay Leno.
Special Olympics jokes are awesome. Nothing but pure funny.

"What's better than winning the gold medal in the Special Olympics? A: Not being retarded."

Comedy gold right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with the OP, but I can't help but wonder what the general response would be if it had been George Bush that had made that remark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:
I completely agree with the OP, but I can't help but wonder what the general response would be if it had been George Bush that had made that remark.

Great Point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

"What's better than winning the gold medal in the Special Olympics? A: Not being retarded."

Comedy gold right there.

Come on dude lets be honest, how many times have you called someone or yourself retarted?

I don't think that he meant anything by it, but being that he is in the public eye oh boy it really should be taken to heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Comedy gold right there.

Come on dude lets be honest, how many times have you called someone or yourself retarted?

I don't think that he meant anything by it, but being that he is in the public eye oh boy it really should be taken to heart.

You know I have. But that doesn't mean we all shouldn't.

Yes, we shouldn't rake Obama over the coals for this. We should, however, use it as a moment of realization that mocking a group of people for their flaws isn't the best character trait in ourselves. Something to improve upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
jtakagi wrote:

No one would have noticed. Bush II was like a hybrid from BSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

Comedy gold right there.

Wait. Obama told that joke on Leno?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Wait. Obama told that joke on Leno?

No, Obama was talking to Leno about the presidential bowling alley and he said that his average score was so low, it was "like the Special Olympics or something".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"You don't call retarded people 'retards.' It's bad taste. You call your friends 'retards' when they are acting retarded." -- Michael Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
HE works in mysterious ways. We do not always understand why HE does what HE does, but I have faith there is a higher purpose, that we simply can not see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Yes, we shouldn't rake Obama over the coals for this. We should, however, use it as a moment of realization that mocking a group of people for their flaws isn't the best character trait in ourselves. Something to improve upon.

One thing I really like about Obama (and I'm not necessarily an Obama supporter) is his willingness to admit that he made a mistake, or when he takes responsibility for something that went wrong. That doesn't excuse whatever fault was made, but it's a nice gesture that you don't see often enough in politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Van, what is with that shtick already? Are you ever going to drop it? Did you even watch the appearance? I'm sure you must have something substantive to say about it, if so. My only reaction to the comment was, "here comes the backlash...I wonder if it will be from parents and relatives of Special Olympians, or just the usual blowhards who get indignant about things that have zero bearing on their lives."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
When you're the leader of a nation, I hold you to a higher standard. For me, President Obama's remark was in poor taste. Even though I'd probably make a joke like that myself (in the right company).

Mitigating factor:
* All the words were real, and meant what he thought they meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Van, what is with that shtick already? Are you ever going to drop it? Did you even watch the appearance? I'm sure you must have something substantive to say about it, if so. My only reaction to the comment was, "here comes the backlash...I wonder if it will be from parents and relatives of Special Olympians, or just the usual blowhards who get indignant about things that have zero bearing on their lives."

Couldn't have said it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

No sir, I will not drop it. Until the blowhards drop the Messiah crap.

Here is my substantive analysis. Another Obama screw up. He apologized for it. It shouldn't have happened, he ain't perfect. *shrug*

Next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

You are right you couldn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
jjloc wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

You're mistaken man, I don't like Obama's politics. I really dislike the fact that he is more of a celebrity than President.

My post was simply speaking on part of his miss speaking or use of improper terms. It happens, raking the dude over the coals for some little comment as tasteless as it may be is not worth my time. I am more focused on how he's currently f'ing the country by his ACTIONS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

There would be more reason to use it that way if Obama himself had mocked a group of people. He was mocking his own ability, and if you don't like his utilization of the Special Olympics in that regard, I think it's a fair point, but not one that will meet with universal agreement, and not one that I think should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

No sir, I will not drop it. Until the blowhards drop the Messiah crap.

And now, as they say on tv, you know!

vandemonium wrote:
Here is my substantive analysis. Another Obama screw up. He apologized for it. It shouldn't have happened, he ain't perfect. *shrug*

Next.

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about. Keep up the shtick but toss in substantive analysis for me too, because that's the stuff I need. If you don't tell me what to think directly, I will get confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
jjloc wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

You're mistaken man, I don't like Obama's politics. I really dislike the fact that he is more of a celebrity than President.

My post was simply speaking on part of his miss speaking or use of improper terms. It happens, raking the dude over the coals for some little comment as tasteless as it may be is not worth my time. I am more focused on how he's currently f'ing the country by his ACTIONS.

You are entitled to your opinion.

*shrug*

I like how he is f-ing the country with his ACTIONS so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would the reaction have been if Obama had said, "I look really gay when I am bowling?"

As the father of a daughter with autism, I am sensitive to the word "retarded" and prefer "blond." (I am happily married to a woman with yellow hair and have three children with yellow hair. None of them are blond, but all have their moments. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
jjloc wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
jjloc wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

*shrug*

I hope your children will too. Obama will be remembered for a long long time and not because he was the first black President either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
jjloc wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
jjloc wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

*shrug*

I hope your children will too. Obama will be remembered for a long long time and not because he was the first black President either.

Yep, I hope so too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
What would the reaction have been if Obama had said, "I look really gay when I am bowling?"

As the father of a daughter with autism, I am sensitive to the word "retarded" and prefer "blond." (I am happily married to a woman with yellow hair and have three children with yellow hair. None of them are blond, but all have their moments. )

I'm gonna guess, the gay community would have been as mad as a gay community mad about oh, I don't know, Pastor Rick Warren Selected for Invocation, or something like that, and rightly so.

Let's see what was my substantive address of this issue, ah here it is:
"Another Obama screw up. He apologized for it. It shouldn't have happened, he ain't perfect. *shrug*"

In other words, I fully 100% acknowledge that this was a faux pas. A mistake. A poor choice of words. It is fine to be upset by it because it was indeed a bad mistake to have made. I'm not sure what more there is to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.