Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: The Wichita Area Boardgamers hosts the Tornado Alley Game Day May 30th 2009 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you a gamer in Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, or Oklahoma? If so this invitation is for you. The Wichita Area Boardgamers are hosting a regional game day on May 30th 2009 called:

Tornado Alley Game Day

Where?

7001 W. 21st Street North, Wichita, Kansas 67205

You and your game group are invited to a very special event - the first annual Tornado Alley Game Day, hosted by the Wichita Area Boardgamers. This isn't a convention and there's no charge. It's an event intended to bring gaming groups and individuals from around Kansas and neighboring states together and ensconce them in a storm of gaming delight.

The game day was born after the last BGG.CON when the members of the Wichita Area Boardgamers discussed how nice it was to meet and game with gamers from the states of Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. We decided to host an event with the goal of strengthening the regional gaming community by bringing together gamers for one day of socializing and all-you-can-handle game play.

So bring your games, bring your friends, and come meet some of the great gamers we have in the region. We'll start gaming on Saturday, May 30th, 11:00 am and continue until 11:00 pm. We've got 5,000 square feet of gaming space reserved, with access to a full kitchen. Several fast food and Applesbee’s style locations are within a mile of the event location and many just across the street. We'll have door prizes, a game library, A team Wits and Wagers event, and a trade table.

For questions, or to RSVP and get specific directions, please contact Marshall Philips (mdp4828@yahoo.com or bggID: mdp4828) or Bart Brunscheen (armed-medic@cox.net or bggID armed-medic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it weren't 4+ hours away I might make it, but that might be a bit far for a one day event. Great idea though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure and post if you have a praticular game you want to play.

For myself, I'd like to get in Die Macher. But Here I Stand is always a draw when the group gets large. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
If it weren't 4+ hours away I might make it, but that might be a bit far for a one day event. Great idea though!
Come on Brandon, I wouldn't say we are a vacation destination but we do have some nice things around town, it may be worth spending the night and looking at some stuff the following day and then heading home...come on.

Just giving you a hard time 4 hours is pretty far to travel, but we would love to see you. Thanks for posting. If we get good participation we will do this annually. Pass on the info to anyone you think might be interested.

Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group also has every cooperative game and I anticipate those hitting the table. Check out our Gild game collection (Wichita area boardgamers and you'll see we should have plenty of games on hand).
GS in KS wrote:
Be sure and post if you have a particular game you want to play.

For myself, I'd like to get in Die Macher. But Here I Stand is always a draw when the group gets large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 2-and-a-half hours away. I'll try to be there. Hopefully I'll be able to convince a few friends to come along.

Now all I need is to find some friends... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been in Topeka (from Twin Cities in MN) for about a week, but I'll keep this event in mind, it sounds like fun.

Still feeling out the local scene here. Not sure how settled I'll be by then. And by settled I mean the drive and the family feeling situated .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I'm 2-and-a-half hours away. I'll try to be there. Hopefully I'll be able to convince a few friends to come along.

Hey, you have a total newbie to the area right here .

Although for now, my schedule is pretty busy. Wife works evenings, so I'm with the kids (she hopes to switch to days soon), and that also makes weekends more for family time. Especially in a totally new place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Drive home from Wichita on the 29th. Drive back to Wichita for gaming on 30th. Back to Topeka, then Back to Wichita on June 1.

Sounds good I'm in!!! I will post this to the Nuke Con group and see if I can get some Omaha people down here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
Been in Topeka (from Twin Cities in MN) for about a week, but I'll keep this event in mind, it sounds like fun.

Still feeling out the local scene here. Not sure how settled I'll be by then. And by settled I mean the drive and the family feeling situated .

It would be awesome if you can make it Ryan. Believe it or not I remember you from reading along with one of the very first werewolf forum games back in 2005.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveCole wrote:
Hmm. Drive home from Wichita on the 29th. Drive back to Wichita for gaming on 30th. Back to Topeka, then Back to Wichita on June 1.

Sounds good I'm in!!! I will post this to the Nuke Con group and see if I can get some Omaha people down here.

Hmm. Sounds like you should just stay in Wichita huh?

Thanks for letting group know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:

If I weren't married I would come up in a heartbeat, but I don't think I could convince the wife She isn't a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky in the fact that my wife is a gamer. She actually set up the large space we will be using and runs little game nights with her female co-workers every other month. I know I got lucky. If you change your mind we would love to have you.
TGov wrote:
TGov wrote:

If I weren't married I would come up in a heartbeat, but I don't think I could convince the wife She isn't a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Yollege wrote:

It would be awesome if you can make it Ryan. Believe it or not I remember you from reading along with one of the very first werewolf forum games back in 2005.

Yikes, that was not a good thing . I had never actually played Werewolf, and was in WAY over my head .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

We look forward to seeing you Eric, bring as many friends as you can, we will have room for them. Thanks for the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveCole wrote:

Thanks for letting the Omaha group know Dave. I know one guy up that way but he is not with a gaming group. If anyone else out there knows some groups in the region please pass this on to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
TGov wrote:

That sucks. My wife claims to not be a gamer, but she plays alot with me and the kids, and loved playing with my game group (she worked nights, so she didn't get to play with them often). She even looked forward to our formerly local con every year .

I'd bring her with in a heartbeat, but we have only lived in Topeka for a week, and don't know what to do with the kids . Of course, there is time for us to try to work out something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
DaveCole wrote:

Hmm. Sounds like you should just stay in Wichita huh?

Thanks for letting group know.

Alas, the State does not like us keeping their vehicles over the weekend. Oh well I get paid for the drive time. I will be there with Eric and whoever else from Topeka we can drag along. I also sent word to one group in KC. It will be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Dyer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to make it and thanks for the invite. I have a wonky schedule, is it okay if I show up without RSVPing? I would hate to say I would be there and not be able to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beshkno wrote:
Would love to make it and thanks for the invite. I have a wonky schedule, is it okay if I show up without RSVPing? I would hate to say I would be there and not be able to make it.

No problem at all. You have an open invitation and we hope to see you. Also if you can't make it at the start don't let that keep you away. We would love to have everyone be there at 11 but if you can't make then but can come later that works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really interesting. I'd love to see it become a 2 day event though to help justify the drive. Maybe next year you can look into a 2 day (or even 3 day) event, and I'd definitely be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justscott wrote:
This looks really interesting. I'd love to see it become a 2 day event though to help justify the drive. Maybe next year you can look into a 2 day (or even 3 day) event, and I'd definitely be there.

We hope to see you this year. If we get a good showing for this years event and a lot of support for a two day event I wouldn't be apposed to looking into it. Getting the space for two days becomes expensive and we wouldn't want to move that way unless we had a large gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great. I will do my best to stop by for a while but I probably won't be able to stay the whole length. I'd love to try HIS, but I don't think I can commit to the length of time needed to play.

Maybe this needs reposting in the "Southwest" forum on BGG, since our friends in Oklahoma might not be paying attention to the "Midwest" forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DT Dyer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the best game store in Wichita?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Agents of Games and Comics downtown at Douglas and Walnut. They also allow us to use their back rooms as a free meeting place so I must admit I'm biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.