In the Year of the Dragon» Forums » General

Subject: HIDDEN EVENTS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Maybe this is a stupid idea, ( I am a fairly new player at Year of The Dragon) but has anyone tried to play with hidden events? You know, keep events face down, you don't know what the event is until you actually end the turn, or maybe show it at the beginning of the turn it goes with? Anyone tried this? Stupid idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
It would probably be a mess. How about hiding the last 3-5 events?

Ancient foresight, is of course, not 20/20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would not even want to try this variant. I think the planning of which events you deal with and which you take a hit on is too much of the game for me. And this takes away from the tactical aspects of the game - when you need to grab a certain veteran worker before they disappear, when you have to when you have to improve your turn order because of the events that are coming, etc. That is, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a fully hidden setup would not work -- the game is about planning for the future, and having the events turn up (essentially) randomly would just destroy that.

Now, a partial reveal -- you see the next 5 events, the rest blank... then turn them over as they get closer. That could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually included this in a solo version I'm working on. But even that destroyed the game a bit...

Having hidden events will result in a gameplay where you have to prepare for ALL events at once all the time.
No matter how the game looks like, you will always go for the same strategy. A strategy that is best addapted to a game where you don't know what will happen.

However, if the events are visable, each game will make you choose different actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LupusX wrote:
No matter how the game looks like, you will always go for the same strategy. A strategy that is best addapted to a game where you don't know what will happen.

That's not *quite* true. Your decisions will still be affected by:

1. The other players.
2. Events of the game as they happen.

I tend to agree that it would be a worse version, but I don't think it would be just an optimization game with a single correct strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main effect of the variant would be to add a huge dollop of luck to the game.

Since you cannot guard against everything, those who are lucky enough to guard against the events that come up will prosper. Those who don't will suffer. At the beginning of the game there is no particular reason to choose one over the other. Revealing a few events at a time would mitigate that effect somewhat, but it would still be a major part.

Whether it is a good thing or bad thing depends on individual taste.

I wouldn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for input. I do see it would make it more of a total luck thing. But some night when my friends are good and drunk I may try to get them to try it. Just for laughs, will let you know how it turned out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to try this, but everyone else seems to be wet blankets about the idea. Wusses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
LupusX wrote:

That's not *quite* true. Your decisions will still be affected by:

1. The other players.
2. Events of the game as they happen.

I tend to agree that it would be a worse version, but I don't think it would be just an optimization game with a single correct strategy.

OK, yes there will be a bit variation, but still it will make everyone collect some rice in the beginning and have a healer and some money prepared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.