Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an ACTS/Cyberboard game between myself and Jeromey Martin with Jeromey playing the Allies. This was my second game against Jeromey
Jafar Pasha decides the game

Fall 1914

Jeromey began the game with Russo British Assault, attacking Basra and Koprukoy. He captured Basra but drew at Koprukoy. I played Jihad, placing both Marsh Arabs and the Laz. He advanced Russian troops to the front line and attacked Bayazit, which the Turks successfully withdrew from. I used Fresh Recruits to repair troops in Ruwandis and Erzerum. He formed II Turkistani Corps and withdrew from Oltu. I played for Rps and he played Sphere Of Influence, placing the troops in Tabriz.

I played German Military Mission, placing the trenches on the Gallipoli map. He played Churchill Prevails for Ops, attacking Ercis and Eleskirt. The cavalry at Ercis withdrew but those at Eleskirt perished. I redeployed troops to Alexandretta, Mus and Beersheba. He played Secret Treaty, capturing all 3 Persian VP spaces. I placed the Sinjabi to cover Baghdad, and then played Pan-Turkism, attacking Sehneh with the Sinjabi and some Turkish Arab infantry and forming III Corps in Damascus.

Winter 1915

MOs were No BR and British Empire.

Jeromey began with Blockade. I moves X Corps to Erzerum and II Corps to Bandirma. Russian Reinforcements preceded my reinforcing Van and moving III Corps to Gaza. Jeromey played Kitchener and I used SR to reinforce Trabzon and transfer the Camel Corps to Mesopotamia. Anzacs appeared in Egypt, I played for Rps, and an Egyptian Coup followed.

I moved troops up to the Suez Canal and Jeromey redeployed troops to there from India. I attacked across the Canal, entrenched in Mus, and formed V Corps in Trabzon.

Spring 1915

MOs were Russian and Meso-Persian.

Indian Army Reinforcements arrived at Abadan and Bulgaria entered the war. Indian 2nd Corps formed in Basra and the Russians attacked Rize. The Laz were destroyed cancelling the retreat as Stanke Bey stood alone. I played Djemal and captured Belgrade. The Allies attacked Rize again, Stanke Bey withdrawing unharmed to Trabzon and also attacked and captured Amara.

I redeployed troops to defend Mesopotamia. The Russians were defeated attacking Trabzon but captured Van and the British captured Sannaiyat, destroying the Camel Corps. I played Turkish Reinforcements, forming XIV Corps in Baghdad.

The Russians captured Bitlis but the Indians were stopped at Kut, allowing XIV Corps to move there. I spread troops around Diyarbarkir and destroyed a Serbian Army at Skopje. The Allies played for RPs and I ended the turn with Parvus to Berlin, with Revolution scheduled for Spring 1916. I placed Kurds in Van to replace the dead Marsh Arabs, but I had missed my Mandatory Offensive so Vps remained at 5.

Summer 1915

MOs were Turk and No BR.

Jeromey began with Armenian Uprising, taking Kayseri and bringing Vps to 3. Turkish-Arab reinforcements arrived in Baghdad. The Kurds in Van were destroyed, and I captured Nis, opening the Bulgarian Railroad. Romania entered the war and was defeated at Plevna. I destroyed the last Serbian Army at Skopje. The Russians moved closer to the front line. I played for RPs and Allied Solidarity brought Salonika under Allied control, which was immediately followed by Treachery at Fort Rupel.

Jeromey played Gallipoli Invasion as reinforcements, placing both Corps in Salonika. I attacked Suj Bulak, Veles and Skopje, defeating the Serbs but not the Russians. The turn ended with Serbian Collapse, GE-BU XI army redeploying to Doiran and the Alpenkorps to Varna. More Kurds appeared, this time in Bayazit, and I also placed a Senussi tribe at the Bahariya Oasis

Fall 1915

MOs were TU and RU.

Russian Reinforcements arrived in Tiflis. The Senussi captured Sudan, GE IX Army advanced to Hermannsadt and the Schmettow Cavalry Corps made the long march to Varna. The Grand Duke arrived at Tiflis while a German Mission reached Afghanistan, placing another Senussi tribe in Sollum, which took Vps to 5. Lawrence of Arabia promptly reversed the Jihad increase. The Russians attacked Cizre and I used Jafar Pasha to retreat to Mosul. Jafar Pasha promptly defected, a blow to my cause, but at the time it did not appear a fatal one.

I played for RPs, and Arab Revolt broke out, initially unsuccessfully. Turkish reinforcements arrived around Erzincan (Erzincan was full and, remarkably, all spaces adjacent to it were equidistant from the enemy). The Arabs attacked again, reducing the Mecca garrison, while the Russian reduced the Kurds at Bayazit.

I now counter-attacked the Arab Revolt at Mecca, effectively handing the holy site to the Arabs but fulfilling my MO. Jeromey ended his turn with a coalition government in Britain and I captured Constanta, Vps standing at 5. The Kurds and Marsh Arabs went home, hearing of Lawrence and the loss of Mecca.

Winter 1916

CP MO was British Empire, Allied MO was Russian.

Jeromey began with Chruchill Prevails, destroying everything up to the Bosphorus but choosing not to bombard Constantinople. I cut off Romania by occupying Bolgrad. The Russians attacked Bolgrad but did not breakthrough, and also captured Diyarbarkir. I played Liberate Suez, attacking Ismailia unsuccessfully and form XV and XVI Corps in Caucasia.

A Russian Winter Offensive was victorious at Ras-Ul-Ain, Mardin, Bolgrad, and Mus, re-opening the supply lines to Romania and threatening to invade Mesopotamia and Syria. I played German Intrigues in Persia and the Russians brought more troops up. I played German Subs in the Med, bringing me to 11 War Status but forfeiting opportunities on the ground. Jeromey captured Kronstadt and Aleppo, bringing VPs to 1.

With Blockade still active, I was about to lose the game.
I gathered 3 LCUs at Harput, from where they could attack Diyarbarkir, an attack which would, if it succeeded, break the Russian supply lines to Mardin and Aleppo, saving the game and eliminating several Russian units permanently. Jeromey tried to entrench at Diyarbarkir but failed.

I made the attack. The odds seemed in my favour but I failed the Severe Weather check. With Jeromey using Armenian Druzhiny a Turkish victory was unlikely, but that was the initial result. Jeromey however now used Jafar Pasha to reroll his die, turning defeat into a draw, in the circumstances a major strategic victory. I had a spare tribe to place, but Jeromey had garrisoned all the VP locations available to my tribes, so the Blockade was the final blow for the Ottoman cause.

Overview

My first defeat: a fine performance from Jeromey. I was somewhat complacent about Russian expansion given the appearance of Parvus on Turn 3. I also dithered on the final turn, allowing myself to slip into a position which could be lost on a die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report; thanks for providing all of them, Phil.

I do believe this was our /second/ game, however--we're currently playing our third.

I made some rather poor choices when I fell asleep at the wheel a couple of times (don't know why I thought opening with Churchill rather than saving the Romanians was a good idea), but my earlier dropping of a division in Odessa proved to be pretty key.

I think this game proves that the Turkish player cannot ignore the fact that the Russians, if pumped in a few, prime locations, can wreak havoc on the board. It also shows a good reason not to play Pan-Turkism as event unless absolutely necessary--losing the 2 VPs from the Armenians, not to mention the Uprising markers, proved to be the nail in the coffin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second game, yeah.

Actually leaving the Romanians open helped you I think. I was tempted into the quick cut off, instead of concentrating on the various problems elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jeremy makes two very good points that help to dispell some concerns that have been expressed by new players.

1. An early Parvus does not prevent an AP Victory -- the Russians can wreak quite enough havoc in the time allotted to them, either staving off the Revolution or gaining outright victory.

2.Pan-Turkism very much is a double-edged sword. If one is tempted into playing it, one needs to pursue it to the logical conclusion fervently. And if played, be VERY SURE TO GARRISON the Armenian port at Alexandretta. No garrison is required if Pan-Turkism is not played. So, in a way, that garrison is the first cost imposed by this card -- policing against rising unrest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the return match, currently in progress, Jeromey has avoided playing Pan-Turkism. We'll see what happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Great report.

I think we need a C3i article about using the Russians in this game. Anyone up for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could develop one of my existing articles in that direction- at present the articles on the Armies are somewhat incoherent, but I could polish the Russian one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
In the return match, currently in progress, Jeromey has avoided playing Pan-Turkism. We'll see what happens...

If the Jihad level goes much higher, I'm going to be sorely tempted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I could develop one of my existing articles in that direction- at present the articles on the Armies are somewhat incoherent, but I could polish the Russian one.

I think it would be great. How about we look for another person to write a counter-argument - you know, two views on using the Russians. Assuming we actually have two views, of course. Or maybe the second article could be about CP counter-strategies to your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am editing Philip's article on the "east fronts" this weekend. Brian has already supplied some extra input, including on Russians, as a sidebar, and I am adding some editorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.