Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Moore
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I played dust with my regular group the other day, and allthough there are allot of things I like about it the gameplay wasn't very satisfying. I think this boils down to a trend of applying a points-race to a conquest game.
In two games the score was spread by a point or two by the leaders with the others not too far behind. The question is, what do these points really represent? When we hit 40 points only one player out of four was really "in trouble" as far as thier tactical or economic situation and the game could have continued on for ever with that being the case. There was no clear victory and I don't see reasonably matched players ever having a clear victory in the game unless luck played a big role.
The point I guess I am trying to make is there seem to be allot of games that use a point system to determine victory but the points don't represent anything other than a time limit to the game. This is fine in a fairly abstract game like catan, but in a war game the points just don't mean anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a eurowargame. they go by a point system that ends the game right about the time you might have a player get eliminated, but also gives you an actual end time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
it's a eurowargame. they go by a point system that ends the game right about the time you might have a player get eliminated, but also gives you an actual end time.

A eurowargame? That's a joke, right? If not, Nexus Ops and Risk 2210 A.D. must be "eurowargames" also, because you score points to win them too.

It sounds like the O.P.'s group did a lot of turtling. Knock out your opponent's capitals if you want to win decisively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Interesting thread...

Quote:
...a point system that ends the game right about the time you might have a player get eliminated, but also gives you an actual end time.

Under laboratory conditions, yes.

I like this system (a similar idea was used in S.P.Q.RisiKo! by the same designer and it worked fairly well) and as mentioned below if a player wants to force a showdown he or she is welcome to try.

In my opinion, these systems punish those who try to "turtle" in a multi-player contest because of the dynamic interaction between the other commanders.

Just my 2 geekgold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
No we were really playing agressivly, wishing we had more attacks. The point being though what do these points represent?
Played allot of nexus ops and risk 2210 and the point system isnt as much an annoyance in those. In Nexus ops the point of the game is to complete missions and player elimination is not usually a factor. In Risk there is usualy a tactical victory associated with point victory. But in Dust the points seem to be divorced from any sort of tactical superiority. It just seems like a cop-out from the designer's point of view, limiting options to keep the players neck-and neck throughout the game.
Somewhat like shogun, wich is fun but not really a conquest game, you have limited actions wich limit the size of your empire.
I guess I just had higher expectations from dust, we will still play it on occasion but the ending is just very flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phookadude wrote:
The point being though what do these points represent?

You earn victory points for controlling capitals and power sources. That is typical territorial control, pretty much the same as in Risk 2210 A.D. or Axis & Allies.

The other way you gain points is for majorities in land units, sea units and production centers. Land and sea are obviously military superiority, and a production center advantage is just like the economic victory in Axis & Allies.

The only twist is the knockout rule - a guy who doesn't control a capital can't win. I don't see where any of that is odd or unusual in a conquest game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I guess I am too much a "simulationist" to accept what amounts to close ties in a war game. Accepting the fact that it isn't really a war game might do it for me, but they have little tanks! Cute little tanks! Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phookadude wrote:
I guess I am too much a "simulationist" to accept what amounts to close ties in a war game. Accepting the fact that it isn't really a war game might do it for me, but they have little tanks! Cute little tanks! Sigh.

Simulations and cute little tanks seldom meet. And I'm not sure what "close ties" have to do with simulations - many real wars have ended in stalemate.

Still, if you are interested only in total victory, what's stopping you from playing until you take all of your opponent's capitals? It sounds to me like knocking a player out when he loses his capital would solve your problem.

It's not like you would stop trying to capture resources or build the biggest army if you didn't get points for doing so. The game would play the same, but would just take longer. That's all the point based victory is really about - keeping the playing time shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can always decide to play the game out to the "bitter end".

One reason that the Victory Point system is there is to prevent the game from dragging on forever.

Dust gives players a variety of ways to gain victory points, allowing you to use different strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone find that this game goes very very quickly with Victory Points?
Anyone play it like a traditional "Risk" game by not counting VP and playing until the other player is eliminated? If so, how did it play out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panzer wrote:
Anyone find that this game goes very very quickly with Victory Points?
Anyone play it like a traditional "Risk" game by not counting VP and playing until the other player is eliminated? If so, how did it play out?

We set out to do it that way once, but after playing for a while, we decided to stop at the VP ending, rather than having players get removed from the game and have to sit around watching the last two struggle to the death..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree with the ending being very flat. I've always had a problem with the game ending and their being a winner (thats not me) without me thinking that I've lost. The points totals seem very low. We played and I got hammered by a couple of other players and was ready to hit back and the forth player then appears with the points needed to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a perfectly valid option to play until one player has 4 capitals, or more than half the VK zones, or something like that. If your group decides that they don't mind player elimination and like a game to go on much longer, then by all means do it this way. In that case you can award extra production instead of points, so the majorities and VK tokens still mean something.

Peet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyP wrote:
I agree with the ending being very flat. I've always had a problem with the game ending and their being a winner (thats not me) without me thinking that I've lost. The points totals seem very low. We played and I got hammered by a couple of other players and was ready to hit back and the forth player then appears with the points needed to win.

I had the same experience. VP needed to win are very low. Game lasts 5-6 turns, and you get to attack on average 2.5 times/turn. Totaling maybe 12-15 in a average game !!!shake I was just warming up, planing a big invasion, and it was all over. I hate this game system. Other time I lost just because other player luckily took 2 of my power sources in the last turn, very frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try the longer rule-set then, where power sources are worth just 1/3 VP. For that matter nothing is stopping your group from agreeing to double the VP target.

For my part, I quite like Dust's VP system, as it is directly linked to clear strategic locations on a map. And I'm quite happy to play a short game rather than have a game drag past the point where the winner is already obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Gabriel Manasan

I will try playing with Epic rules, and possibly with double VP needed to win. In other games that use dice combat system (example Risk) you get to play maybe 150-200 fights during a game, and in Dust you get no more than 30, and this makes every fight crucial. Few unlucky dices throws, and you lose. In for example Risk, more dice throws means unlucky throws average with lucky throws.

Maybe I'm also new to this game, and its system. In all (2 games so far), every one was protecting heavily his capital, and all the fights were over few power sources. One turn is mine, next turn my opponent takes it back. Few turns and its all over. I don't see much fun in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WARNER AIREY
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why point based? Answer: Excitement. Nothing keeps things more interesting than a ticking clock - like on a time bomb.

Every move you make matters. And, as players reach the required VP threshold, it causes desperate last ditch efforts to prevent victory. Heroic, doomed, occasionally successfully but usually futile and suicidal attacks on player capitals.

It might work. It might merely stave off defeat for one turn. But the results are always entertaining - sometimes hilarious.

I am very appreciative of the Victory Point concept, both for the constant pressure it creates, and limited turn length. But it comes down to what sort of game you want to play. If you want to play all night, or prefer to spend weeks pushing counters over a Europa sized hex map, there are plenty of other games with different approaches, out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

In my opinion, these systems punish those who try to "turtle" in a multi-player contest because of the dynamic interaction between the other commanders.

Just my 2 geekgold

Dust still leaves room for a more sophisticated kind of "turtling". The victory condition (track) + various options on the part of opponents, demands careful planning if you want a "turtling" strategy to succeed.

This feature in itself, makes it a significantly more interesting game than any version of Risk in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
artmark wrote:

A eurowargame? That's a joke, right? If not, Nexus Ops and Risk 2210 A.D. must be "eurowargames" also, because you score points to win them too.

Seeing this old thread, I wonder whether I would have made my point more effectively had I offered A Victory Lost and Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 as examples of wargames that use victory points. Not that it matters; we all have our preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the victory points to represent some facet of real war, just think of them as a measure of your opponents' "war weariness", for lack of a better term.

Not every war ends with the enemy capital in flames and their king clapped in irons. Lots of wars end when one or more countries have simply had enough and don't want to fight anymore, even if they have military power to spare. Vietnam is a just one example.

In the world of Dust, if you're sitting pretty with lots of land, lots of Vrill, and more than one capital, your enemies get discouraged, their leaders lose popularity, etc. After a measured amount of such war weariness, they sue for peace, even if their generals are begging for just one more offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.