James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to leave for a game session and will probably have the opportunity to bring an extra game. But it will be one that none of us have played, so this will be a rules "crunch" session.

We're playing Age of Empires III...of the 2 following choices, which would be the one to "rules crunch" tonight...?

1. Pirate's Cove
2. Mystery of the Abbey

There will only be 3 of us there tonight, one fellow had to cancel. And I realize that neither of the 2 choices are very complex games anyway...

So, Quick!, I leave in a few minutes, which other game do I take?

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice would be Pirate's Cove. However, I am not sure if it will suffer with only three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Played Pirate's Cove, haven't played Abbey...based on that, I'd learn Abbey....I hated Cove.

True

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Abbey is really fast to learn. Go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
PIRATE'S COVE!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never do a rules crunch, unless its something like no thanks or for sale.

I'm assuming rules crunch means that nobody knows the rules but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
I never do a rules crunch, unless its something like no thanks or for sale.

I'm assuming rules crunch means that nobody knows the rules but I'm not sure.

Yes, that's what I call a rules crunch. I was vaguely familiar with the rules, but the other 2 fellows were not.

We ended up playing 2 rounds of Age of Empires III. We loved it, and had a great time, and they really seemed to get into the game.

I learned something valuable though: I suck at Age of Empires.

However, I still had a great time, even though I came in woefully last both games. But honestly I was paying more attention to monitoring the order of turns, and checking rules than really playing the game too seriously. By the second game I think most of it "clicked" with everyone, so when we play it again (they said they wanted to play it again!), it will be closer. Plus, at the next game session, there will likely be more players and we'll be able to teach them much easier...

So we didn't end up even considering the other 2 games. We were enjoying AoE III way too much.

But sooner or later I have to get Conquest of the Empire to the table, because they've already seen it and love that kind of game. So it will be "rules crunch" again. Not sure how to get around that. I don't go to any other board game groups anywhere, so I'm unable to go and learn from someone else. So I have to learn the rules first, then go teach it to my game buddies. Simpler games are no problem, but if the game is a little more complex, then I like to do these "rules crunch" sessions. They don't mind it...Really all we're doing to just playing the game in a more relaxed atmosphere, realizing that there will be rules checks and such. No problem.

Thanks for all the input. And if anyone has advice for someone who loves AoE III but is really sorry at playing it, I'm open for all help!

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting you should put these two games in one basket. I had them both and traded both away, which tells its own story. However, if you have to go for one, Pirate's Cove, no contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.