Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I'm gluing cardstock paper to cardboard. Twice they've come out warped. The first didn't matter b/c they were cards. The 2nd was a test. I'm putting about 10-15 pounds of books on top. Using glue specifically made for paper.

Do I need more weight? Too much glue?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard? Cardboard comes pre-warped. This is the typical cardboard that's 50% air, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Label stock and artist's mat board. I've had very little warp after the fact (I've had a few pieces bow slightly from standing them up on end, as I have no place to lay them flat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue you are probably having is likely caused by the moisture in the glue. It is also possible that there is a temperature gradient caused by the books and the two dissimilar pieces of paper. The two effects typically result in warpage, with the moisture being the worse culprit.

You can try less glue or a different adhesive. A glue like white/PVC glue is water based, easy to deal with and the worst for causing warpage.

I highly recommend rubber cement, which is stinky and can be lumpy if not applied correctly, but if used 'properly' it does not cause any warping. A few years ago, I discovered Roll-A-Tac, which is a thin rubber cement that is applied with a special roller - High maintenance (had to be cleaned for storage) but those counters were perfect! Nowadays, I just use a Xyron adhesive roll - no muss, no fuss, but more expensive than any other solution I know of. I also use it for laminating home-made cards and play aids. They used to make a one side laminate, other side adhesive but that, alas, is no more.

There are also several specialty paper glues available, depending on where you live. Depending on the applicator and the paper you are using these work great or can be a disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Compressed cardboard, from dick blick, both the 1.25 and 2.4 mm stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiger tiger
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Any other suggestions?

I'll try it one more time w/ less glue more weight before changing glue etc.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Tourville
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the 3M spray adhesive? It's available at most home improvement stores, works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtShellback wrote:
Have you tried the 3M spray adhesive? It's available at most home improvement stores, works great.

Yes it does, if you have a place to spray it that you are not afraid of getting rubber cement everywhere. This stiff is great but it is sticky and fans out quite a ways from the nozzle. Indoors or garages with cars in them are TERRIBLE places to use this stuff. Also be wary of spraying it within ten feet of your domicile as it can get on your windows and truly piss off your parents/significant other.

Within those guidelines, it is great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the problem was too much weight? I can imagine that this might produce differential compression and/or residual stresses.

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrian
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second the suggestions for spray adhesive or the foamboard and sticker solution, for making game boards.

One way to unwarp cardboard is to apply moisture to the other side, and the warp will balance out (it works on home-made terrain pieces anyway). Use coats sparingly!

YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nell
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the project isn't that big I use a glue stick. You need something with low water content. Wood Glue might work too just put it on very thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently made a board for Barbarian Prince and a gesso'd board with Modge Podge works like a charm. It only took a thin layer applied with a foam brush. The cardstock I used wasn't even heavy duty. The only warpage occurred where the material of the board changed to a plastic tape (the hinge) and the gesso didn't go on thick enough.

This is basically how things are layered from top to bottom:
cardstock with map printed on
modge podge
gesso
bottom half of printed paper (top glossy half with Scrabble ink ripped off)
whatever glue was originally used
original cardboard
bottom

I just did one side, cleaned up the edges, and folded the other half of the board right over. A bunch of phone books kept everything down and flat, so it was effectively sealed with moisture only able to go into the various materials. Rinse and repeat for the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.