Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back home with a brand new 2009 Surly: Long Haul Trucker.

I am in the process of putting the rack and fenders from my old bike on the new.

This bike is amazing. It's about 1/4 the weight of my old bike and feels like it's got a motor in it when I start pedaling.

This bike is my sole transportation and it's built for hauling large loads.

I'm planning on training for a trip at the end of summer from Portland to Bend OR. Two 90 mile days there and back with a couple of days in between.

I'm GIDDY!

This bike demands to be ridden. I'm so excited...

EDIT: Here's some reviews and pics--

http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

http://www.boxdogbikes.com/blog/?p=585

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/touring-bike/...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=LHT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
That's pretty dope. I am jealous of a) the bike and b) that this is your sole means of transportation. I live in Orange County, visit customers all over Los Angeles, and have to get 2 kids to school and day care every day. My beautiful but aging Cannondale hangs in my garage with a thin layer of dust.

I looked up the Surly Long Haul Trucker after reading your post. That's a sweet ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, sweet ride.

Not to throw cold water on your triumphant upgrade, but I'm in the "it would just get stolen anyway" camp with regard to bikes. Do you have any trouble with that in Portland, or is it a non-issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Your bike is similar to what I was riding for about three years.

I had recently gotten a job that started at five in the morning which was before the busses could get me there. I had very little money and simply needed something to get me where I needed to go.

Despite having worked on building bike frames for Kinesis USA for over a year I really wasn't a "bike person" so I didn't know what to get. In any case I was broke.

I ended up getting a Giant: Cypress ST

That image is the recent model and mine was purchased in 2006 but it's pretty much the same bike.

It served me VERY well as an around the town commuter and it only cost me $200 brand new. I rode the shit out of that thing. I got every penny's worth and then some out of that bike and don't regret it for a second.

However, as the years went by I started to realize how I was riding and how I wanted to ride in the future (touring became a major goal for me) and realized that this bike was not going to fit that bill.

After much research and deliberation I hit upon the LHT as the perfect bike for me. It fits the things I do on a day to day basis and also is the perfect bike for what I would like to do outside of going to work, the store, the bar, etc... Namely, going on long-ass rides loaded down with stuff.

I've got nothing against entry level "comfort bikes". As I said I rode one for years and loved mine. I just decided what I really wanted and now I have it and I can't be more happy with it.

Bob Gray wrote:
Congratulations!!

It's NOT a Surly, but I have a Schwinn Jaguar Cruiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Wow, sweet ride.

Not to throw cold water on your triumphant upgrade, but I'm in the "it would just get stolen anyway" camp with regard to bikes. Do you have any trouble with that in Portland, or is it a non-issue?

It's certainly a very valid concern.

Portland is one of the most bike intensive cities in the country and theft is very much a real issue here.

Many people go the route of making their bikes look like shit if they're good or, much to my amazement, specifically purchasing / building a shitty bike with old parts.

Much of this has to do with the very strange "bike culture" that is inherent here. Many people are into the "fixy" culture. Meaning they get an ancient frame and build a fixed gear bike. Often the reason stated for doing so is along the lines of, "it's just the most basic bike you can have and you really feel at one with it and the road".

I think they're all a bunch of fucking dipshits, myself and I have grown to have an uncontrollable loathing for all "fixy" culture and those that propose it as a superior way to bike.

Much of this has to do with the fact that they are, as a whole, nothing but a bunch of hipster fuck-head, twenty-somethings with "retro" bushy mustaches, tight jeans wearing, vinyl listening assholes who like to wear "one less" t-shirts while steering around with their stupidly dangerous mini handlebars.

I fucking hate these people.

Anyway...

Theft.

Most of these people and even people that aren't a part of that crowd make the fatal mistakes of:

1) Keeping the quick releases on their wheels and seat posts instead of investing in a very inexpensive (compared to having your bike stolen!) set of axle rods and seat post rods. I have a set by Pinheads http://www.pinheadcomponents.com/ They are fantastic and I've never had any problems with theft. They allow for a smaller lock because you don't have to worry about your tires or seat posts getting nabbed.
Which brings me to point number...

2) Not getting a good lock. Cables are BAD. They can be snipped through with even the smallest wire cutters in practically no time. Lock your bike with a cable and you're asking for it to get stolen. It's that simple.
A good "U" lock is where you want to be but it's not as simple as getting any old lock. You MUST get one that gives the smallest amount of space between your frame and the thing you're locking it to. Even the best U locks can be busted with a crow bar if there's enough space to get one in there.
I carry a very small U lock to prevent this and I am able to because of point #1 above.

Keep in mind that while these precautions will go a LONG way to preventing almost all theft threats, if you lock up your super-bad-ass $4000 bike and leave it for a couple of days in the city it will get stolen.

The basic concepts I have for bike security are:

A) An ounce of common sense protection is worth the cost of replacing your bike.

B) .... Actually, that's it. Just think through the basics of what it actually takes to steal a bike quickly and try to prevent that. Chances are, if your bike gets stolen it's probably your fault for making it easy to steal.

So, yeah, it is a problem here. But you simply have to go about it in a smart way and your chances are improved dramatically.

I'd like to discuss the issue of insurance for bikes as only available under homeowner's / renter's insurance and how totally stupid that is in a city like Portland but I've got no numbers and don't know enough about insurance to talk about it rationally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited first post to provide reviews and pic links.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3253673#3253673

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to know what a "one-less" T-shirt is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:

I wondered that too. I assume it means "one less car"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
CapAp wrote:

I wondered that too. I assume it means "one less car"?

Yeah...

Assholes, and by that I mean way too many of them, wear these shirts that say "one less".

Meaning, "one less car."

It's pretentious and annoying. And this is from someone whose sole source of transportation is biking.

Why the fuck do you have to be an asshole about it? Why don't you just ride your bike and shut the fuck up?

I don't understand the point of advertising it.

Here are some prime examples:

Then there's this generic bit of annoyance:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing about the last picture is that it could just as easily say "500 less plastic bags." Don't think they thought that one through. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! I have a ZEUS bicycle. I need to get a pic of it up here...

OK so it's not as light as any of those newfangled bikes, but back in the day it was a nice racing bike!

Edit: Aha! This looks like it:

I'm not sure I actually have a supercronos, but that sure looks like my bike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool...

I am in the market for a new bike. The one I ride has a slightly warped front tire, the brakes squeek, and the gear shifting is iffy at times.

The bike I own is the one I got in 1988 when I was 13, so it's had it's wear and tear...

I'm looking for something mainly to get me to the train station (15min bike ride) each night, and back home each day. And some light urban riding around town.

any suggestions for something not too pricy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked bikes. My grandpa used to fix and build them when I was a kid. I've ridden them in Wisconsin in the winter with a foot of snow. It's great now, being in a city that puts some effort into bike lanes and paths.

My current bike is a cobbled together mess (no it's not a fixy). Everything is from a different source, and when something breaks I cobble together a replacement. I can't think of any pieces on the bike that actually came from the same source. It fits me perfectly (I'm a tall guy). It's got 12 speeds but the ratios are great.

My car broke, so I'm relying on it even more for grocery trips. Bought my wife a cheap bike ($35 off craig's list), and with a cushy seat replacement she's been riding along with me. Today we went and got chinese food and took it home and watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (neither one of us had seen it before).

My wife reminded me of something. When you ride a bike you have a completely different perspective on cars and roadways. She couldn't get over how large roads and cars are just to transport people. Plus, it didn't really take us any longer to get anywhere since the bike paths in this city often have better access and routing than the roads (no stoplights on paths).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
I've always liked bikes. My grandpa used to fix and build them when I was a kid. I've ridden them in Wisconsin in the winter with a foot of snow. It's great now, being in a city that puts some effort into bike lanes and paths.

My current bike is a cobbled together mess (no it's not a fixy). Everything is from a different source, and when something breaks I cobble together a replacement. I can't think of any pieces on the bike that actually came from the same source. It fits me perfectly (I'm a tall guy). It's got 12 speeds but the ratios are great.

My car broke, so I'm relying on it even more for grocery trips. Bought my wife a cheap bike ($35 off craig's list), and with a cushy seat replacement she's been riding along with me. Today we went and got chinese food and took it home and watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (neither one of us had seen it before).

My wife reminded me of something. When you ride a bike you have a completely different perspective on cars and roadways. She couldn't get over how large roads and cars are just to transport people. Plus, it didn't really take us any longer to get anywhere since the bike paths in this city often have better access and routing than the roads (no stoplights on paths).

Thats the mark of a good city planner. Toronto has some bike paths, but not many, and the suburbs have NONE.. Its really pathetic.

There is a town just outside of Toronto called Oakville. I lived there for a year, and they actually had a sidewalk, then 2 feet away, an ashphalt bike lane. So not on the road, but on the grass with the sidewalk. What a genius idea.

Ottawa is also very good for transit and bike paths, they have lots. I've often thought, if I were to move from where I am now, that would be at the top of my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Cool...

I am in the market for a new bike. The one I ride has a slightly warped front tire, the brakes squeek, and the gear shifting is iffy at times.

All of which are fairly easy to fix with a bit of maintenance.

Quote:
The bike I own is the one I got in 1988 when I was 13, so it's had it's wear and tear...

I'm looking for something mainly to get me to the train station (15min bike ride) each night, and back home each day. And some light urban riding around town.

Well for that kind of journey a second hand bike is going to be good enough. Or a Giant Cypress as Nazhuret had although the list price is now $310. Modern bikes are so much better than the ones from the late 80s (or at least to my mind they are).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Cool...

Quote:

Well for that kind of journey a second hand bike is going to be good enough. Or a Giant Cypress as Nazhuret had although the list price is now $310. Modern bikes are so much better than the ones from the late 80s (or at least to my mind they are).

Yea I know that I could probably get the problems fixed for maybe $100, but also I'd like something that is fitted to my size now instead of my size when I was 13...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
andyl wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Cool...

Quote:

Yea I know that I could probably get the problems fixed for maybe $100, but also I'd like something that is fitted to my size now instead of my size when I was 13...

I was just saying about the maintenance as quite a few people may have older bikes or bikes that have been in the garage for a while.

Actually for that kind of money I would almost be expecting a full strip-down and rebuild (new parts would be extra of course). Adjusting your gear change (probably new cables and use the adjuster screws), brakes (probably new cables and pads adjusting clearance and toe-in) and even truing a wheel are all basic maintenance that you can attempt at home. There are usually courses you can go on to learn this if you are not mechanically minded.

Anyway I am thinking of getting a new bike (ordering it for my birthday if work picks up) - maybe a Birdy City I haven't tested one out yet, which may look a little odd to some of you because it is a folding bike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I called the bike shop yesterday to find out when my new bike would be in (we've been waiting since ?Sept). They said next week. Going from my mountain bike (never used for mountain biking) to an Electra Cruiser Karma. Getting old I guess, I just want a nice simple, comfortable bike. No more swinging my leg over the seat to get on. No more lime green. laugh We actually have a program here where if you take your old enough car to the metal scrapyard they give you vouchers for bike stores and/or transit passes. Dh and I both got new bikes, but his was in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
I just got back home with a brand new 2009 Surly: Long Haul Trucker.

I'm guessing it must be a cultural thing, but in England we prefer biked to have pedals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Cool...

Check out Jamis Bikes. I got the Jamis Commuter 2, and I am very happy with it. It's an 8 speed, gears in the back only and very comfortable. It was about $450. Nazhuret talked me into the Pinhead anti-theft axles and the short lock. All in all, I spent 550 bucks on my bike after lock and accessories, but it was worth it to me. I'm glad I spent more money than I had planned originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my sweet new ride:

*checks other bikes*

Oh...um. Nothing to see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:

*checks other bikes*

DAMN YOU!!! *Shakes fist at you*

[size=3]I was going to post that....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
Progmode wrote:

(big wheel)

*checks other bikes*

DAMN YOU!!! *Shakes fist at you*

[size=3]I was going to post that....

It's okay, Rappak, you can ride on the handlebars. Hop on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:

You could always fight assholism with assholism by pointing out to each person wearing one of these shirts that it should read "one fewer car".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
BIKE PORN

I got an old 1950's Columbia like this one:

http://oldroads.bostonbiker.org/category/columbia-thunderbol...

...and a Cannondale Crit bike, 1990's style, like this but black:

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/Gallery/page2/rgiese/1992tr...

I used to have an old Colnago:

http://velospace.org/files/Colnago5.jpg

I've always had a nice bike...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.