Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
It's actually acrylic. I need a sheet for my recently acquired copy of CC:A with its flimsy and obstinate map. This, and my buddy and I are just starting to see how far the rabbit hole goes with respect to wargaming. I foresee needing one in the future.

I've consulted the threads, but I thought my question was specific enough to warrant a new one. I've called Osh. I'm going down there tomorrow morning. They have a 30x36 sheet of 1/8 inch acrylic that they'll cut for ~$23. So should I go with two smaller pieces or one big one? Is acrylic a rotten material? Is 1/8 an inch too thin? Chime in with your opinions. Or just mash the poll.

Thanks in advance.

edited for clarity

Poll
1. Two smaller cuts of 18x24?
Dude, mobility is king.
No way, go big or go home.
2. 1/8 inch acrylic?
Yes, it's gaming bliss.
No way, no better than a ziploc bag.
      32 answers
Poll created by oeolycus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never regretted buying a 2x3' acrylic piece. Everything from CCA, Combat Commander, ASL, SCS blah blah blah fits under it. If it's too small just get another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burk
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I too went with the 2'x 3' sheets. I currently have the full spread of Kiev to Rostov on the table with 6 sheets of 2'x 3' covering the whole beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zip lock bags, while not quite bliss, are just as necessary as plexiglas. Make a one time bulk purchase of zip locks in two different sizes and you are set for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
Zip lock bags, while not quite bliss, are just as necessary as plexiglas. Make a one time bulk purchase of zip locks in two different sizes and you are set for years.

Yup, about 20 years ago I bought 1000 2x3" zip-lock bags from a local manufacturer/supplier... they were cheap! I sold a few (at cost) and gave away a few to various gaming buddies, and just now I'm starting to get low and I'm thinkin' I gotta get some more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BartowWing wrote:

Haha, thanks to all the respondents so far. My second question was more like "is 1/8 too thin [hence a ziploc bag being as good a cover]" or "should I go with some other material?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 1/2 sheets of plexi for big games and small pieces for one map games. Get a full sheet, cut it in half then cut one half in half. I used a wire brush on a drill to smooth out the edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use 72 x 36 x 1/8" which covers most of the table. I clamp it down to stop it moving. Two light clamps is enough. I dislike edges on the table so covering the whole top works best I think.

Its not that heavy and easy enough to deal with. I keep it always on the table but if I had to store it I suspect cutting it in half would be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
BartowWing wrote:

Haha, thanks to all the respondents so far. My second question was more like "is 1/8 too thin [hence a ziploc bag being as good a cover]" or "should I go with some other material?"

For home use I use 1/4" glass. Actual Glass. I like the "float." It also doesn't scratch. It is heavy so really holds the maps down. Some people dont like the counters being that far from the map ("the float") but I do. Again a one time purchase over 10 years ago for about $40. Still going strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Scott
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought my first wargaming supplies and I got 2 18x24 sheets. It stores relatively easily lying down, which is good because you want to keep it from warping. I think I bought 3/16", which not only holds my maps flat but supports other big games like Arkham Horror. Acrylic is shockingly expensive though (I guess it scales with the price of oil).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased a 24 x 30 x 1/8 piece of plexiglass at my local hardware chain (Lowes) for 11 dollars. My original intention was to purchase two 24 x 18 x 1/8 but they were 10 dollars each. If the larger piece doesn't work, I'll split it into two 24 x 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Your way was cheaper. I had two 18x24 sheets cut at Tap Plastics for about $25. I'm pleased. Thanks for all the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got four 17" x 22" pieces in my travel pack. One piece works for Combay Commander or many ASL scenarios. Two pieces work for most other maps (22" x 34" appears to be a standard size). And they fit in my small suitcase.

I do have additional pieces at home. One each for my two gaming tables and one for my 4' x 6' particle board. These each cover the entire surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.