Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, my sister and brother-in-law are total non-gamers. Like to many, games are for kids. I finally got their butts around a table. Not wanting to overwhelm them I pulled out Carcassonne. They loved it.

My BiL mentioned Monopoly and of course we got into the expected conversation. I don't know much about financial type games. I just know Acquire by reputation. What other financial type game is a good one to spring on him? What's the Settlers of Catan or Twilight Imperium of financial games? Container?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is a good choice, though you have to really hammer away to explain that the point is not to hang on to stock but merge out your companies to make money.

Another excellent economic game (and better than Container imho) is Wealth of Nations. It's really accurate in showing supply and deman and it's got a bit of a "land grab" aspect to it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Cuba - the prices go up and down in the market with the supply and demand. You can buy or produce goods to be shipped. You can build buildings to help you transform items (tobacco into cigars, for example). There are Acts that pass in Parliament that change the tax or the supply in the market. It's also got great bits and a beautiful board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about Cuba. Don't get me wrong, it's a very beautiful game, but it might be a bit too much for 'beginners'. I would try it (because i own the game), but it wouldn't be my first choice. Aquire on the other hand has the charm (in terms of looks) of an Excel sheet, a fact that can be quite disturbing for new players. Good looks sell.

I think Container is a pretty decent choice here, but it's quite pricy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Another "financial" game of a lighter more raucous nature that might amuse is Ca$h 'n Gun$...

But for a more serious financial game suitable for newbies, yeah, Acquire is a good classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
South Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a good financial game for people who have never played games before, you need something easy. you might try For Sale.

i brought it to our game night where my friends will only play very simple games (think spoons or Pit), and they loved it! Or how about Modern Art? I know its not strictly financial, but maybe they only mentioned monopoly because it is all they know.

bring out too complicated of a game right now after Carcasonne, and you will be in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Acquire is a good choice, though you have to really hammer away to explain that the point is not to hang on to stock but merge out your companies to make money.

Another excellent economic game (and better than Container imho) is Wealth of Nations. It's really accurate in showing supply and deman and it's got a bit of a "land grab" aspect to it as well.

I concur with both, though Wealth of Nations may be a bit long for new gamers.

Industrial Waste.

It's a great game of running a manufacturing business, managing raw material and labor costs, investing in innovation for greater efficiency, and disposing waste before it accumulates to dangerous and costly levels.

Chinatown.

A great little tile-laying and trading game with a real estate theme. It's easy to grasp, and plays rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say For Sale. Real easy and cheap too, you could just buy a copy, play it with him, and if he likes it tell him it is his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of Power Grid when thinking of an economic game. I don't think it is too hard for non-gamers either. The little houses and money remind most people of Monopoly. I am relatively new to this game and thought it might be complex, but it is so intuitive once you get going that I don't think it would really intimidate newbies. There's a good reason it is rated #3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia might be an interesting choice. The game involves simple comcepts, but the core idea to winning the game is in the timing and manipulation of the "market".

For Sale is a good game but falls very much into the filler category (with a game lasting maybe 15 minutes). A game that is that short may not "hook" your non-gamers.

Chicago Express plays in an hour and has simple rules. The auctions and strategies may be a little too subtle for non-gamers, but it is short enough that it may be worth a shot.

AFTER you manage to hook them Brass: Lancashire would be a good game. The rules are not simple but the game is very good and incorporates interesting market demands. Power Grid would also fit into this category. Both of these are definately NOT recommended for hooking newbies though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Power Grid seems perfect for people who like Monopoly and prefer an economic type game. Aquire might be a little more accessible, and might be a better baby step, but Power Grid is probably more fun. I also recommend Railroad Tycoon. Maybe even before Power Grid. I think any of those three would be great. I'd stay away from Container till you've really got them on the hook - although the core mechanics of that game aren't complex, the strategy can be elusive, which might turn off newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in roughly the same boat. If you BiL mentioned or even 'likes' (I've found this to be a misnomer as people only think they like Monopoly but that seems to be more of a nostaligic trip rather than anything else) Monopoly I'd actually pull the game out and play through a bunch of turns of the game. Ask him when he thinks it starts to get a bit 'long in the tooth'. Monopoly is notorious for only having about 15 minutes of 'fun factor' before it starts to degrade.

As stated, then pull out For Sale. Roughly the same theme involving real estate, actually more strategic thinking and bluff/double-bluff mechanics and it plays in less than 15 mintues... none of it dull or wasted.

The real key with hooking non-gamers into this hobby is to spark an interest - your BiL has an interest in Monopoly or somehow relates to it. This leads you to For Sale, Acquire, Container and so on. If he had an affinity for say Chess, you could introduce him to such games as the GIPF Project, Kamisado, and even something like Terakh. Further, if he expressed an interest in Risk and light wargaming you could introduce him to Nexus Ops, Viktory II, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!, Command & Colors: Ancients... it just escalates from there. You've also mentioned that 'they' liked Carcassonne; you could then try them on the likes of Taluva, Through the Desert, Samurai, Tikal... oh, it just doesn't stop.

As I said, the key is finding some basic interest in a mechanic or even theme they enjoy and then leading them through the progressive degrees of complexity for that genre or mechanic. Once you've done that a few times, you'll be able to go after even more complex games that have several game-mechanics in them.

Good Luck and make sure to keep it fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Lazar
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also support the vote for Power Grid. It is a bit complex, but as some have mentioned before, it's quite intuitive once it gets going. I am fairly new to games myself and Power Grid was one of the first few that really hooked me. I have also played this game with several of my friends who never really knew anything about Eurogames and they have all really enjoyed it and wanted to play again! It can be a bit of a long game (especially compared to something like Carcassonne or even Catan) but if they're used to Monopoly it will seem like a breeze!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.