Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready to run a solo game and was curious if the Nationalist player "typically" retains his starting foothold in Madrid. Put another way, how high a priority does the Republican player need to put on clearing the Nationalists out of Madrid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rexgator wrote:
Getting ready to run a solo game and was curious if the Nationalist player "typically" retains his starting foothold in Madrid. Put another way, how high a priority does the Republican player need to put on clearing the Nationalists out of Madrid?

Losing Madrid as the Republican player in the first 3 (or 4, not sure) turns will give the game to the Nationalist as an auto win. That alone gives enough incentive I would think to emphasis a certain degree of agression towards Madrid as the Nationalist player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nationalist can get an automatic victory by taking Madrid before turn 4. This means the Republican must keep Madrid garrisoned with troops and the Nationalist should do the same to keep the threat of an attack on Madrid.

Only once have I seen Madrid fall early enough to get an automatic Nationalist victory, and this was a combination of good luck and mistakes by the Republican player.

With the troops coming over from Morocco and with Badajoz acting as a blocking position to stop the troops coming up from the south it is often turn 3 before the Nationalist have enough strength to launch a strong assault against Madrid. By that time the Republican can reinforce Madrid with stronger troops, which is good for the Nationalist as that means that those troops are tied up in the Madrid standoff and are not defending other areas.

In the event that Madrid may fall in battle, the Republican can use his cards as battle cards to stave off the destruction of all of the units in Madrid, thus avoiding automatic victory.

The use of battle cards as a Penalty to reduce the damage you receive in combat is a brilliant innovation that adds another tactical dimension to this game.

Overall, I see Madrid as a diversion early in the game, getting an automatic victory before turn 4 is not likely against a good Republican player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. What I think I was trying to ask was "How hard will the Nationalist fight to hold on to the position?" I am on my second solo run (first one ended on turn 5 with a massive Nationalist breakthrough in the South and a sweep up the coast to break the 8 city rule).

I am beginning to get the feel for opening strategies now. Seems like the Republicans have to make a stand in Badajoz to keep those african forces from getting into the fray around Madrid or in Basque country.

In my second game that was a key Republican Strategy. I think I was too aggressive trying to take Toledo and made a big push up north with some units brought in by card play. It is turn 6 and once again a Nationalist offensive in the south looks ready to overrun the defenses. I may have to become even more conservative in my Republican thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that the Republican has to be conservative and pick their fights with care.

Badajoz is an important location, it is vulnerable and it will probably fall, yet it can buy time and divert the Nationalists attention away from other areas. The key is to defend it with enough while not costing too many troops... that is a balancing act.

Happy Gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Catalán
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to play, to enjoy, to "think" about my game, and why i make it in this way

A question: What topic you would like to apply the same game system?

Antonio Catalán
PS: Sorry for my bad english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Russian Civil War leaps to mind. I also had some ideas about adapting this system to the Vietnam conflict. I would definitely change many aspects to better fit the pace of operations and the differences between the "US" and "NVA" forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acatalan wrote:
Thanks to play, to enjoy, to "think" about my game, and why i make it in this way

A question: What topic you would like to apply the same game system?

Antonio Catalán
PS: Sorry for my bad english

The first topic that comes to mind is El Cid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Perdue
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
We have really enjoyed Espana 1936. Good job Mr. Catalan!
I would like to see the system used for any of the following wars=

Russian Civil War (To include the war with Poland)
Chinese Warlords Prior to WW2.
Russo-Finish War.
The Korean War.

The Russo-Japanese War would work too, you would just have to eliminate the air units, add Heavy Artillery and Machine-gun units instead, and Naval Units would really be heavily used.

It is a nice system. Lots of possiblities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.