Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can paras launch a airborne assault from a Fortress?

I say "no" because their aircraft cannot be in the fortress. The precedence is NO GSUs are allowed to be in fortress.

If so, does the area surrounding the fortress count as "space" when counting their range of 2.

Here was the specific situation:
Russian paras in Leningrad; Germans control Novgorod; and Uncle Joe wanted to launch Airborne Assault in Lativia.

Russian player decided not to do it for other strategy reasons.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
It was an awfully "gamey" idea...at least from a besieged Leningrad. However, I haven't found anything in the rules prohibiting it, as fortresses are "areas within areas" and the airborne were in supply. It looks like Estonia, Minsk or Karelia would be as far West as they could get though, as Novgorad would be a separate area from Leningrad. My thought had originally been the possibly of dropping an airborne into Helsinki or trying to screw up German supply through Latvia, but after rereading the fortress details I realized they were out of range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ya, I found it gamey, however, I wish he had. It would have made taken Leningrad easy!

But I agree nothing prohibits it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would have only done it had it caused serious damage and it was just too easy for you to fix anything I could come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
This is an illegal move. Since the Germans control Norvogod, this must be counted as one of the two areas the airborne can move. And since Latvia is not connected to Norvodgod, it would have to move three areas to get there. The surrounding area around a fortress does not count as an area moved only if it is controlled by same country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ellowen-Deeowen wrote:
Estonia, Minsk or Karelia would be as far West as they could get though, as Novgorad would be a separate area from Leningrad.

Yeah, we realized that. The central question is still there though. Are para-drops from fortresses (Leningrad) legal? According to the rules, I see no reason why they wouldn't be, though from Leningrad it's counter-intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Yes. Paradrops from fortresses are legal under the rules. Probably another of those - "pointless to prohibit that which is unrealistic but will almost never occur" type rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure I agree that it is allowed, because the aircraft is not allowed based on the fact that GSUs are not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.