• [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More fodder for my long-held belief that everyone, no matter how much money they're born to, should be forced to work in a service industry for no less than a year or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbenston wrote:
More fodder for my long-held belief that everyone, no matter how much money they're born to, should be forced to work in a service industry for no less than a year or two.

I'm right there with you. If you haven't worked in the service industry, you fit into two categories:

1.) You're a relatively decent and civil human being and you assume nearly everyone else is like you.
2.) You're a hopelessly maladjusted self-centered prick, you probably don't know it, and you certainly don't care if anyone else is civil, courteous, etc.

The problem with group #2 is self-evident. The problem with group #1 is that they have no idea how frequently service workers encounter group #2. It's a perspective in serious need of broadening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Koldie, are you a fan of the Eagles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean you wont change my kids diaper while I sit at the lounge and have a martini? HOW DARE YOU SIR! HOW DARE YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever seen 'Four Rooms'? =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
What do you mean you wont change my kids diaper while I sit at the lounge and have a martini? HOW DAR YOU SIR! HOW DARE YOU!

See, you think that you're being funny... but you have no idea how close you are to the truth. About two weeks ago Mom was heading out for a date with her 'new' man. Wondered maybe if I wasn't too busy that I could look in from time to time on her two little ones (ages 13 months and 4 years). I told her that I couldn't babysit and still man the desk... she said she just wanted me to check in on them every hour or so. I told her to get a babysitter or I'd call child services. Mom didn't end up going out. Part of me feels like a prick for being that way but the parent in me is horrified to think that anyone could go out and leave their kids alone at an age like that... it just doesn't compute.

I'd have been tempted to call child services anyways. If she thinks she can do it one time, what's to stop her another time when there is no one to catch her up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
What do you mean you wont change my kids diaper while I sit at the lounge and have a martini? HOW DAR YOU SIR! HOW DARE YOU!

See, you think that you're being funny... but you have no idea how close you are to the truth. About two weeks ago Mom was heading out for a date with her 'new' man. Wondered maybe if I wasn't too busy that I could look in from time to time on her two little ones (ages 13 months and 4 years). I told her that I couldn't babysit and still man the desk... she said she just wanted me to check in on them every hour or so. I told her to get a babysitter or I'd call child services. Mom didn't end up going out. Part of me feels like a prick for being that way but the parent in me is horrified to think that anyone could go out and leave their kids alone at an age like that... it just doesn't compute.

Good Lord man...I thought I had picked something so far in left field you hadnt experienced it...and here I thought the scenarios that happened in Fawlty Towers was just funny. If you have never watched that series I highly recommend it, its available on Netflix Instant watch, and being that it deals with your profession I think you will find it funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have all heard this before, but I'll say it again - I can't count on hands AND feet how many times people leave their children in my store to "play" while they shop or go to lunch.

One "mother" left her kids in my store (aged around 5 and 8) for four hours. FOUR HOURS!!! Her excuse when she got back was that she was buying a new television.

What the F@CK!?

And that is part of the reason I am leaving the FLGS.

These people shouldn't even have children.

If, in the next 2 weeks, it happens again, I am calling the police. And I don't give a shit what kind of trouble that causes for everyone.

end rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
bbenston wrote:

I'm right there with you. If you haven't worked in the service industry, you fit into two categories:

1.) You're a relatively decent and civil human being and you assume nearly everyone else is like you.
2.) You're a hopelessly maladjusted self-centered prick, you probably don't know it, and you certainly don't care if anyone else is civil, courteous, etc.

The problem with group #2 is self-evident. The problem with group #1 is that they have no idea how frequently service workers encounter group #2. It's a perspective in serious need of broadening.

In my--ahem, youth, I had the--cough, cough--privilege to work with customers in 3 different fields: Food/restaurant, retail store, and banking.

I have horror stories from all 3--however, for nasty customers nothing beats bank customers. If they have lots of money in the bank, they want you to treat them like the gods they believe they are. If they have $5.00 in the bank, they want you to treat them like gods as well. And as a young female, I was expected by management to cater to these clowns and flirt with them and be extra friendly!! AARGH!!

Restaurant customers are nasty too. The best by far were the retail store customers--shoppers are generally happy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.