Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We went to Seattle Thursday, and came home Friday. In the back of my mind was that this was a daytrip I could also do another time with the kids, but after experiencing the traffic in and out of Seattle I'm having my doubts.

Any Seattle natives here? Is it always like that? We were in the expressway and using HOV, but once the expressway finished it was just ugly.

I have to say, extremely friendly, helpful people in the city. At least twice when we were on the sidewalk discussing which way we wanted to go we had people asking us if we needed directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't say what time you came back, but I'm assuming it was late afternoon. That's the bad time, Seattle traffic wise, especially on a Friday. People are trying to get home so they can start their weekend, get out of town, get to dinner, whatever. The improvements made on I5 (especially at the 41st St. exit in Everett) are helpful, but there's a ways to go. Don't let it deter you from coming back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to Seattle many times. Traffic always seems to be ugly during the day. It doesn't seem to matter what day of the week it is. Afternoons are the worst. I do find evenings to be fairly smooth. If I am planning to be downtown, I will just find a parking lot and walk from there. Outlying areas are pretty good traffic wise most anytime once you get off the freeways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I-5 is the worst manmade disaster i've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. (and i've lived in Houston!). put it this way, alot of people down here in Olympia use the airport in Portland over SeaTAC even though its a good 50 or so miles further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we were leaving in the late afternoon. It was early afternoon when we arrived though.

We didn't really drive in the city once we found our hotel, walked and took the monorail.

Hope to come back in warmer weather and take the kids to the zoo. AFTER I get a nexus pass. over 90 minutes to get across the border going down, and 30 coming back. It seems having the pass also means I don't have to go through the hassle of getting a passport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
We take the train from Portland to visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "rush hour". It's "rush day" on the freeways there. You will be bumper to bumper at noon. It goes from about 7:30 to 7:30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is, it's not really "bumper to bumper", usually. There's just a 5 mile stretch where two different major highways enter on one side while the rest of the exits are on the other, thus creating a need for people to cross four lanes rather quickly. It's stupid design. But usually, the traffic is just slow for no obvious reason. People don't drive the speed limit here, even when traffic is light. They are generally over-courteous/cautious, and that throws out-of-towners off. It still throws me off, since I lived in Charlotte, NC for about 10 years, where you routinely go 80 mph on I-77 and I-85 (both 60 mph zones). One nice thing about living here, though, is that it's a small city, geographically, so it never takes that long to get anywhere. Plus there's viable alternatives to the highway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deborahjeanne wrote:
AFTER I get a nexus pass. over 90 minutes to get across the border going down, and 30 coming back.

That's nothing. I had to wait 3 hours to get across the border when coming back from Vancouver to Seattle. It was a nightmare. It's a shame because I've enjoyed visiting Canada many times in the past, but getting back across the border is such a hassle that it really makes the trip far less appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
deborahjeanne wrote:
AFTER I get a nexus pass. over 90 minutes to get across the border going down, and 30 coming back.

That's nothing. I had to wait 3 hours to get across the border when coming back from Vancouver to Seattle. It was a nightmare. It's a shame because I've enjoyed visiting Canada many times in the past, but getting back across the border is such a hassle that it really makes the trip far less appealing.

True. I used to go see friends in Bellingham several times a week, there is no way I would consider that now. I can't imagine waiting 3 hours, the 90 minutes was bad enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Seattle Traffic. All I can say is that people get the local government they vote for....otherwise I'd RSP this thread.

Only hope is to take the train or just move around on off hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.