Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say it's the headline phase somewhere in the Late War. The Soviet player chooses to headline with Aldrich Ames (ops 4): fine and dandy. The American player is then forced to display his entire hand, and the Soviet gleefully giggles as he arranges them in the order he chooses. BUT.....the American player then reveals his headline as Ask Not What Your Country Can Do for You (ops 3); can the Yankee then discard his entire just revealed hand that the Soviet has triumphantly just rearranged, and replace it with a new hand, that the Soviet DOES NOT see? Or, would the American bourgeois dog replace his hand, and allow the Commie to rearrange it yet again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ops 4 cards would go first, then the ops 3.

So the soviet would only get 1 oportunity to order the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, in such a rare situation as that, Aldrich Ames would prove to be utterly useless to the Soviets.
Mind you, I guess the same thing would (sort of) happen if the Americans played Defectors against the Bolshevik menace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
In other words, in such a rare situation as that, Aldrich Ames would prove to be utterly useless to the Soviets.
Mind you, I guess the same thing would (sort of) happen if the Americans played Defectors against the Bolshevik menace.

No, it's not really the same thing at all. Defectors neutralizes Ames, while Ask Not requires you to sacrifice your cards, good and bad, to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I would think that it would happen like this...

Ames goes first, being a 4 ops card. Soviet player orders the US hand as they see fit. US player then discards whatever cards they want thanks to "Ask Not".

From there I can see it going one of two ways...

1. The US player must play any cards they chose not to discard in order (say the cards are ABCDEFGH, and the US tossed BCDF, then the new ordering would be AEGH) and then the new cards in any order, or

2. The US player would replace the order 1:1 with new cards (say the cards are ABCDEFGH, the US player discards them all, the new cards would be played in order drawn).

I think option 1 makes more sense.

Either way, the USSR would not get to see the new cards, nor dictate their order, but the US would still be prohibited from playing the China card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
amacleod wrote:

No, it's not really the same thing at all. Defectors neutralizes Ames, while Ask Not requires you to sacrifice your cards, good and bad, to do so.

I think the sentiment was just that it would neutralize the power of the card. It certainly does it in a different way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
amacleod wrote:

You don't have to sacrifice all your good cards.

You can choose which cards you wish to discard to "ask not..."
My understanding is the cards not discarded would remain in order and have to be played first then the remaining cards in any order. I would think most of the time at least some of the cards in your hand would be worth keeping even though your opponent will know the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
A timely thread!, I have just had the AA card come up in a Vassal PBEM game and as the USSR was wanting to get max mileage from this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank you all for your timely answers! In 10 minutes, I'm heading out the door for TS, with myself as the Americans. I haven't won as the Yanks yet, and already, I'm feeling quite tense about the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.