Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I know the subject of 18xx games for beginners has been covered before, however the recommended games I've seen in previous threads have inevitably been unavailable when I search surfing for stock in the UK.

I'd be tempted to order from Deep Thought games, but a) it's quite expensive (which I'd put up with except for point (c), b) a huge backlog, and c) I'll get hurt on the customs charges.

So can anyone recommend me a 18xx game for a beginner that I can actually buy in the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1825 unit 2 is a great entry level 18xx game. The Linear stock market makes the game less cutthroat for newbies. It's widely available in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
1826 unit 2 is a great beginner level game. The Linear stock market makes the game less cutthroat for newbies. It's widely available in the UK.

Do you mean 1825 unit 2?

I'm afraid it was only widely available in the past - everywhere is now out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Use 1856, but make the diesels into 8-trains (same cost, still rust the 4s, but only hit 8 stations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you want 18EZ, designed by our very own drewdane and his business partner Clay.

http://groups.google.com/group/18ez-playtest

It's in the playtesting stage, and is available to print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently in the UK 1856 and 1870 are the easiest to find.
Of these i would be tempted more towards 1856 as it is a slightly
shorter game.
Of the recent releases 1861 would be my preference as the game is a
lot more forgiving to the beginner.However looking at the site for most of the UK shops it is unavailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1829 Mainline is still available, and I for one think it is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy, if you're interested, I have 1825 Unit 2 somewhere, also Steam Over Holland (which we've played at the club in the past). Mike has 18GA which is not a bad intro.

I also have a number of others if you look at my collection.

See you

Dave D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Use 1856, but make the diesels into 8-trains (same cost, still rust the 4s, but only hit 8 stations).

JC, are you suggesting that beginners play diesels that way or this is a way to fix a flaw in the game that even experienced 18xxer's ought to consider? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Beyak wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

JC, are you suggesting that beginners play diesels that way or this is a way to fix a flaw in the game that even experienced 18xxer's ought to consider? Why?

No, not fixing a flaw, rather just massaging the game a bit to make a possibly better introduction and learning experience. The base game of 1856 is a great game that needs no changes. I recommend neutering the diesels for newbie games as it:

- reduces the potentially absurdly complex diesel route calculations (absurdly complex and unfamiliar to 18xx newbies who still struggle with counting routes at all)
- reduces the endless irrelevant tile plays to add $1 to a dividend here or there (an even bigger problem with 1870's 12-trains)
- indirectly encourages the formation of the CGR and a reasonable length endgame, thus providing a better show horse for the main inflection points and character of 1856

None of those advantages hold true with experienced players (or if they do, they should be slapped). That said some experienced players like neutered diesels and others prefer the full infinite-length diesels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are the print and play 18AL 18GA games too. They might be worth looking into if you're not sure if the 18xx system is what you're after (although finding someone with experience to play with is a really good idea)

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
indigopotter wrote:
Sounds like you want 18EZ, designed by our very own drewdane and his business partner Clay.

http://groups.google.com/group/18ez-playtest

It's in the playtesting stage, and is available to print and play.

Second (Thanks for the plug, Indigo.)

clearclaw wrote:

- indirectly encourages the formation of the CGR and a reasonable length endgame, thus providing a better show horse for the main inflection points and character of 1856

We've never managed to start the CGR. Maybe we're not playing it right, but we've always found it to be much easier to just make money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewdane wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
We've never managed to start the CGR. Maybe we're not playing it right, but we've always found it to be much easier to just make money.

I've never seen a game of 1856 in which CGR didn't start and the only way I can see it not starting is that somebody went bankrupt before it could start. Loans in 1856 are just so mandatory for success.

Sorry to derail the thread.. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave - let me know when you fancy a game sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
There are the print and play 18AL 18GA games too. They might be worth looking into if you're not sure if the 18xx system is what you're after (although finding someone with experience to play with is a really good idea)

B>

I've thought about this and like the idea in principle but,

a) I don't have a printer;
b) I don't have the time;
c) I'm clumsy and would do a poor job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Henkka wrote:
I've never seen a game of 1856 in which CGR didn't start and the only way I can see it not starting is that somebody went bankrupt before it could start. Loans in 1856 are just so mandatory for success.

While I agree with you, I've also seen it happen. It seems to happen mostly with groups who don't take loans every single turn and don't start the game planning to throw their first company away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam over Holland is probably the best choice. In print, good components, play quickly, and is a beginner level game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
sbszine wrote:
Steam over Holland is probably the best choice. In print, good components, play quickly, and is a beginner level game.

I keep hearing that SoH's train rush is third only after 1841 and 18Mex. If true, that's pretty brutal for a newbie game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
The train rush seems fairly mild to me, but you are short of cash at the beginning.

Edit: tho' it could be mild due to beginners not train rushing the crap out of each other while cackling maniacally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
sbszine wrote:

I keep hearing that SoH's train rush is third only after 1841 and 18Mex. If true, that's pretty brutal for a newbie game.

Steam Over Holland has a very fast train rush which is one reason I enjoy the game so much.

Steam Over Holland is the only 18XX game I've played and thoroughly recommend it for beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

I second this recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone suggest a place in the UK to get a copy?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Can anyone suggest a place in the UK to get a copy?

B>

Had a quick search this morning that returned nothing. With only 1,000 copies printed in 2007, Steam Over Holland seems to be out-of-stock and out-of-print.

A shame because SoH is a fantastic game - my newbie 18XX group are bugging me for the next game having played three times in two weeks.

For my newbie 18XX group I recently purchased 1856: Railroading in Upper Canada from 1856 that I plan to introduce once our learning of SoH begins to plateau.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try 1830. There is a computer (DOS) version available with AI opponents. My approach to 18xx was to read the 1830 rules, play the DOS game, and read the rules to make sure I knew what was happening. Also, it takes the calculation out of the game. Check out http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323/item/187753#item18775....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately I do have a copy of 1830. Getting people used to doing the calculations is useful for the whole family of games though.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.