Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone created a family for Cosmic Encounter, so I followed the link and yesh, it was cool that all CE games came up, pictures and rankings or compareable etcetera. And linked forums too.

However, I wonder a couple of things…
1) How do I find out if a game has a family? I searched on the AH edition game page but found no information at all about the 'family'.
2) Why doesn't the family show up when I search for the game title? Really, instead of listing "Cosmic Encounter" 4 times and a gadzillion "Cosmic Encounter Eon expansion", the search engine should just pop up the CE family link and collapse any further entries that are part of the family.

(Also, all the Eon expansions are listed as expansions for the AH editon…)

I also have a general concern… although I think the idea of the families is great, I wonder what they will do if this is how they will work. Even though the forums for all versions can be linked via the family page, unless people take the trouble to go to the family page, there is no way for me to post a thread that will be seen whatever version's games forum people visit; i.e. there is no forum that spans over all 4 versions of Cosmic Encounter.

As a user of BGG, you tag a certain database entry as owned, and using Recent Additions (or just visiting the game page of the games you own) you only read the forums of the database entry you've marked as owned.

As I've explained in other posts, if the database entries for different versions of the same game are going to be split, it's crucial for the use of BGG that the games forums for all different versions of a game are the same forum, so that questions, ideas and variants that are general for all versions of the game can be posted in one place and viewed by all. Preferrably the starter of a thread could tag the thread if he/she wants to specify that the thread ONLY concerns a certain version of the game (for example, non-comparison reviews), something I believe that actually few of the threads really need to be. Then those who by some reason or another only want to read the entries tagged as their personal version can filter the forums to show only those threads (or better still, only filter out those who are tagged as other versions - letting all those non-tagged (general) and tagged as 'their' version to show).

As the 'families' work now, this won't be the case. All threads are still posted in a certain database entry's games forums and won't be visible on the other version's game pages. This undermines what I consider is the second most vital function of BGG - discussing the games (the first most vital function of course being the database itself), as there will be no natural place to post stuff that concern the game as a whole and not only a specific version of it.

If the database entry splitting is going to continue, and the games forums for each separate entry are still to be separated, I will end up having to post general variants and questions in the General Gaming forum, and that's not the point, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

1) How do I find out if a game has a family?

If a game is in a family, it's listed at the bottom of the information section on the game page:
Caylus

Designed By William Attia
Member of Family Caylus

Also, you can browse families by clicking Games / Families off the main menu at the top of the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Families are just getting started... I'm sure we'll work out the best way to post and find discussion for a game.

As a counter example, there is now a place to generally discuss the 18xx game system - The 18xx family page.

We'll be adding families to search, and you should be able to see that a game is a member of a family from the "Information" section header of game page. Perhaps we could do breadcrumbs as well...

E.g. Families » Cosmic Encounter » Cosmic Encounter 4th Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Simon,

I mentioned in your other thread that families were the solution, but that the quality of the solution wasn't 100% just yet, right? I'm sorry that you're upset that we're not producing the product you once loved so much. I'm afriad the best option at this point is to hold on for a bit, and we'll help you out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it did in the end become a 'duh, as I read Derk's reply to the other thread where this was mentioned, only after I wrote this.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, and it's heartening that you are on it. I know the family page for each game is a great place to discuss the whole game series now, the problem with that is that it's not the default place for people just checking "their" games, or using the Recent Additions (as I do). So it wont reach the owners of the game, really, only those who happen to know about the family pages. But it'll come with time, perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the "other thread" where the families feature was announced? I did some forum searching but can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Where is the "other thread" where the families feature was announced? I did some forum searching but can't find it.

I believe he referes to this thread about game splits:
derk wrote:
However (and especially if you fully grok the families that were subsequently added), this was never a fully-scalable aspect of boardgamegeek as software. We always knew that we 'correct' way to keep the data was separate, but we consolidated to create social/community behavior. Now the software is significantly more sophisticated and there's more than one way to categorize information associated with a game page (for instance, the linked forums on a designer page, or the uberkewl families).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
How do I create a new family ? It's not in the add item menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just did it by posting to this thread.

(it's in a guild, but i didn't need to become a guild member to be able to post. BGG 2.0 bug?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.