Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Enemy HQ Activity Fall Back, if the units are in the top row, do they all leave the map? This seems like a cheesy way to get rid of a squad in trenches in one card, and a squad and HMG in a bunker in an adjacent card, plus another squad in the last card in the row. All of these units are in the last row, and if the fall back card means that they leave the map, then this has probably been the easiest game of FoF ever played (total of 3 US casualty markers).

It seems kind of silly that well dug in troops that are still unspotted would fall back.

Any ideas? I really like this game so far, but this seems like an odd situation.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards aren't the edge of the world if the units were endangered of being surrounded on unseen flanks it would explain their falling back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess you think that they fall back, right Steve? Ok, do they disappear or do I add to the map?

My first game of FoF hasn't had the carnage that others have described, mainly because all of my opposition keeps falling back.

Thanks for the reply,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play it that they are removed from the game (i.e. don't extend the map), which I believe is consistent with the Errata.

It definitely makes life easier, but the way I look at it is that there are times the enemy pulls back for what seems like no good reason only to provide support or attack at a different point in the line. And yeah, you may have gotten lucky that way for mission 1, but you'll also probably get a mission somewhere where the counterattacks are brutal to make up for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, Steve, thanks for the replies.

I guess it makes sense in a big picture sense, but in a tactical sense, and the tactical type games we normally see, it just seems odd. You wouldn't pull your units out in ASL like that. Just a different system, I guess.

And I did have it easy for a first game. By the end of six turns, the entire play area was cleared of enemy PC markers and units. And that was with taking a turn to reorganize before the final push to the third row of cards!

I know they won't all be like thiscry

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, they definitely won't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,
I tend to think of this game as more of an infantry company simulator than a true "board game". It tends to make the situations that can crop up more believable and realistic.

As an example - I was just watching a documentary on the Battle of the Bulge where a single scout platoon of American soldiers were able to kill literally hundreds of German soldiers who were advancing without any armor or artillery support. The American platoon ended up getting captured, but that was basically because they had no support and ran out of ammunition! If such a situation occurred in FoF I might question the stupidity of the Germans in sending wave after wave of unsupported soldiers just to get massacred, but since situations like that can and do happen in real life, it lends itself to explaining just about any situation that can crop up in FoF, which makes the game even more enjoyable to me as a single player experience - even if some events that happen can seem somewhat ridiculous.

Also, as mentioned above, think of your company's operational boundaries as representing just your little part of a battle or advance. There are most likely off-board companies adjacent to yours with overall battalion command right behind you (where the really good artillery is). This means that you don't know everything going on and what may appear to be a silly move on the Germans in your operational area, the Germans may have a good reason to do what they are doing (such as retreating or pulling back).

I hope you understand what I am meaning. The only times I see this game's flaws is on the rare occasion that I can do something "gamey" but those times are few and far between, and the difficulty of the game more than makes up for those few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
Oh, they definitely won't...

Yeah, I noticed. The second mission was a bit different. LMG's opening up, artillery knocking out the XO, bazooka teams running out of ammo. I'm into the second try on it, but I should get it as I captured part of the fourth row in the first try, and all () that's left is part of the fourth and the two objective hexes. Piece of cake, right.......

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, thanks for the reply. It makes sense, I'm just not used to this sort of activity in a wargame. Many tactical games, the other units involved aren't considered.

You're right about it being more of a simulator. I like it, though.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had some Germans fall back off the map in mission four. If the leave the map they are gone and no card would be drawn. It does make life easier when they do that. It made up for when I started out when I had five mined cards on rows on and two (ten cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.