Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking if it's worth running one.

Shieldwolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Diego Comic Con? I've been going for many years and I honestly don't think you'd end up with much of a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Brown
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally disagree. I've een going for over 20 years myself. With attendance at more than 120,000, it's the equivalent of a city full of geeks (many of whom are gamers) in town for a weekend. It seems like a great idea, and I can't imagine why anyone would think you wouldn't get much of a trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raybrn wrote:
I totally disagree. I've een going for over 20 years myself. With attendance at more than 120,000, it's the equivalent of a city full of geeks (many of whom are gamers) in town for a weekend. It seems like a great idea, and I can't imagine why anyone would think you wouldn't get much of a trade.

I've been going since 1978 and open gaming at the Con died 10 years ago. Lots of geeks but if you're not playing in one of the WotC events you've got no gaming unless you've set something else up ahead of time or playing pen & paper RPGs at one of the hotels. Maybe a random CCG. 5 years ago they tried to expand the gaming presence by having Steve Jackson as a guest, with panels, Q and As, stuff like that. Didn't work, the experiment wasn't repeated because there was very little interest. The attendees are there to buy comics, hear about new movies and TV, see the pros, and do whatever animie fans do. Tabletop gaming is dead at Comic Con, a trade would be a bust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Wells
United States
Lemon Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that this math trade is NOT the same as the CON allowing space for organized gaming. It might be an idea to hold the actual trade session for an evening during the con, at one of the local hotels (that is helping to host the con) so that locals from San Diego and LA could participate in and not have to pay for CON admission. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chops wrote:
I feel that this math trade is NOT the same as the CON allowing space for organized gaming. It might be an idea to hold the actual trade session for an evening during the con, at one of the local hotels (that is helping to host the con) so that locals from San Diego and LA could participate in and not have to pay for CON admission. Just a thought.

that's a good idea... it's a non-ship "con" and "local"

I don't go to the con nor am I local... but my suggestion is "build it and they will come". What would be nice for you is if you had a way to get the word out about the math trade other than just BGG itself... then you could have folks adding things like "comics" to the math trade as well who are not gamers (though the problem is they'd have to register on BGG to participate to use existing tools)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take my wife and kids every year and I would love to participate.

Even though I am not going to game I would still throw in a game or two to trade. They take up very little space and add no extra cost to me. Sounds like a win-win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be in me and me wife every year as well, we usually bring something something small to play in sails pavilion (fairy tell, citadels). send me a message if this is a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Burcar
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in this as well. I go every year and would like the easy opportunity to trade some games. I even peak into the game room every now and then in the hopes that some board game action will be going on. Last year I even taught some Magic players how to play Race for the Galaxy. I am there primarily for the non-gaming events, though, so the lack of gaming has never been a disappointment for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Brown
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chops wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I go every year and I would have no interest in playing games there because I want to spend my time going to panels and cruising the dealers' room, but making a few minutes for a math trade is not the same as setting aside hours to actually play games. Saying a math trade would be a bust because organized gaming has failed is comparing apples to oranges. I'd be in for a math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought too. I go for work and won't have time for games, but would love to meet up for a math trade maybe do dinner.

BTW If you go by the Lucasfilm booth be sure to check out FORCED ALLIANCE ask them if it's part of the new STAR WARS TV SERIES coming out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Brown
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, if you do decide to go forward can you post a link to the math trade in this thread? I've been checking it and will keep doing so. Afraid if it isn't listed here I'll never see it in the main "math trade" thread.

Not sure where you're at, but I'm in Orange County. If you do decide to do one, I'll send out a message to the local Orange County boardgaming group and try to get some participants that way. I'll be driving down to SD, so I'll even offer to bring games for anyone in my group who wants to participate but won't be going to the con. The OCBG group has several hundred members, so we should get a decent amount of response from that alone.

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do. This would be my first time hosting a math trade so I'm reading up on everything before I go posting the trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
When is Comic Con? I've never been, and could use an excuse for a mini-vacation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Brown
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The weekend of July 22, I believe. Four-day memberships and Saturday memberships are already sold out, though. Last time I looked you could still pick up memberships for Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. You also might be able to buy a four-day membership on eBay. They were like $75 retail, though, so I'd expect to be paying a decent premium if you went that route.

The site is www.comic-con.org.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.