Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my 7th game of BSG that wasn't the single player version. It was last night at CABS with 5 veterans and one newbie who picked it up pretty fast. The roles that were chosen in player order were:

Helo
Tyrol
Roslin (me)
Apollo (newbie)
Boomer
Saul

First set of loyalty cards are sent out and i see that i am NOT a cylon. Even before the game starts, i am asking anyone to take the presidency from me, as I think that Roslin has no place being president with her negative effect, but she can make a very nice EO machine. Well we didn't really have a chance for anyone to do that, because we got 2 attack cards in the first 3 or 4 crisis cards. So i just did what i had planned to and kept EO people who were in a nice position to help us, and even though we had 3 pilots we were usually out of MF's so being able to kill raiders wasn't very helpful.

Well, we ended up being surrounded by the enemy and losing 1 civilian ships before the first jump, luckily it had nothing on them at all, and we had to jump early and lost the 3 population. We went a nice distance of 3 but lost another civilian ship(again another blank ship). As with the last jump the next one went slow, although i did finally lose the presidency to Tyrol(who was more than happy to take it). When we finally jumped it was under durress again and we we lost the 3 population, again. The second set of loyalty cards is dealed out and i was the sympathizer but thanks to losing the population i was on the human side.

So me and boomer are in the brig and as the next turn progresses on one skill check i get sent to sickbay, so i don't have to try and get out. 3 players later saul has a skill check and there are 3 piloting cards against us for the check. leaving only Boomer and Helo as cylons, since apollo didn't put in any cards. With helo being next i was expecting him to reveal, i was even calling him a cylon over and over. Then i switched and asked him to EO me out of the brig, which to my surprise he did and i promptly went the the admirals quarters and sent him to the brig, with a lot of help from saul. So we go like that for a while, with boomer and Helo staying in the brig. With a long lull from attacks and nothing to do sometimes, Saul and Boomer tried and failed miserably to make sure we got a 3 on the next jump, since we lost all 4 raptors in about 6 tries, 2 on 2 straight tries due to an EO. When we finally jumped we only got a 2 and were getting low on fuel and morale.

During his next turn Helo went ahead and revealed himself and went up to the resurrection ship. In the next round, we were able to get around a falling morale(3) and jump and have fuel in a bad postion and with no way to recover the fuel we are stuck. During the next players crisis card we were in a straight as we were going to lose more morale, so i turned to tyrol next to me and pleaded that if she was human that she needed to use her once per game ability to negate blue, one of the only types that would hurt us. She did and a blue was the one thing in the cards that would have hurt us, so we passed and lived for a while longer. On helo's next turn, he played his super crisis card(bomb on Colonial One) and we had no way to stop it as nobody really had any cards, except boomer still in the brig. So we lost 2 morale and were looking death in the face, and only being at one space on the jump track. Tyrol took her turn with nothing special happening, and on my turn i took my 2 cards and was lucky enough to pull one of the two cards in the deck that would move the track twice if you succed on the skill check. Boomer used her once per game ability and we passed moved twice on the track and were sitting on the -3 with 5 poulation and only 1 morale left. Luckily Apollo was human and hit the ftl and ended the game for the humans.

The most interesting thing was that Tyrol was the other Cylon, and not only that, she had the Cylon card that would have reduced the morale by 1, which would have won her the game. Unfortunately as she put it, she had been a cylon since the beginning and couldn't remember what the game text was so she didn't reveal herself. She has also said before that she doesn't like to be evil in games so she doesn't make a very good cylon. Even so it was a great game and a really close call. I will take a close win over a landslide victory anyday, it's more fun that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second time in two games that the young lady who played Tyrol and myself were the two Cylons in the game (some of you may remember the other game), and if only she had known/remembered that her reveal power was -1 morale, it also would have been the second time the Cylons pulled a big upset right at the end.

I had almost no chance as a Cylon in this one: most of the players at the table remembered my last game and zeroed in on me early, even though I didn't draw Cylon until Sleeper Phase. I threw in a card to help along with the red card that led Brad to doubt me, and being the first to throw in on a skill check with two or three other players at the table with red cards, it felt like a safe play. I also gambled that Brad wouldn't think I was dumb enough to let him out of the brig if I were a Cylon. I still struggle to figure out what are the right sneaky ninja plays to make, because for all the things I do to help out the crew, that one little thing they pick up on seems to nullify everything else I do.

Once tossed in the brig, I didn't really have much else to do at that point. My reveal was damage Galactica but they were fresh off a jump and no Cylon ships in sight, only one damaged section, and a chief to my left who could go around and repair stuff after I was done. So I didn't bother messing around with cover after I got tossed in: I used my superpower to change the decision on a crisis card to a skill check they were expecting to fail, tossed in crap cards on their checks, and just went to the Res Ship when it finally came around to my turn.

Almost no Cylon ships were coming up in the second half of the game, so most of my options as a Cylon were limited. Our one big chance to win was when that skill check came up against a low morale. That's the "One Moment" I referred to in the previous session report. I was able to tank their skill check, play the -2 Morale super-crisis card on my subsequent turn, and pray that we could find a way to knock off fuel or morale before their last jump. Had I only known how close we really were to winning that game.... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Schaef wrote:
This is the second time in two games that the young lady who played Tyrol and myself were the two Cylons in the game (some of you may remember the other game), and if only she had known/remembered that her reveal power was -1 morale, it also would have been the second time the Cylons pulled a big upset right at the end.

So you've twice played a competitive hidden teams game with a player who will not play the role she is assigned, and will not take effective actions for her team, even when the game presents her with a turn where one simple action would win the game for her side?

You are far too kind. That is one more time than I would have played that game, or probably any game, with that person, and one more time than she would have been invited to my game group. If you're not going to play your role and attempt to play your best for your team, you are ruining the game experience for everyone else at the table. And especially multiple times in a game that can take 3+ hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you will read his session report again, you will see that she could not remember what her reveal power was. Based on this revelation, those of us at the table decided to allow everyone to examine ALL their loyalty cards at the Sleeper Phase as well as the beginning of the game, to avoid this in the future.

If someone is willing to play a game in which she has a chance of pulling a role she doesn't relish, but is a good sport about it, I think that's exactly the kind of person I want at my table. By contrast, I was very fortunate in each of the two games that I played as a Cylon. The first time through, there's no logical reason I wouldn't have revealed myself when brigged, and our victory came from a very fortuitous turn of the game at the very end. In this game, I was brigged almost immediately after the Sleeper Phase, and by the time I had a chance to get out there were no Cylon ships around for the rest of the game. My chances to have a meaningful impact on the outcome were very limited, and again, if it wasn't for seizing upon my One Moment, I would have had very little chance to stop the humans this time either. So maybe she's not the problem here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played BSG twice, with five players on both occassions. Both times, the two cylons were the same two people. I was one of them, the other a brother of one of the other players. In both games, he (the other cylon) did absolutely nothing in the interests of the cylons, playing as a human all the way, because he won't go against his brother. That's touching, but it ruined the game for me. So much so, that I am loathe to ever take it along to game night again. I am going to reserve this game for friends and family rather.

I know people get emotionally attached to characters and favour one side over the other, but I believe that you have to play the role you are given. I realise that isn't quite what happened in your scenario, the player forgetting what their card said and all, but the title of this session report made me think of my experience with the game so far. It's certainly not good for the cylons when one of them doesn't even want to be a cylon. Hang on, that sounds thematic though. I guess I was playing with a sympathiser on both occassions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.