Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. You shall have no other gods before Me

Pretty simple... but it doesn't say that after you do due dilligence... that you can't say worship Buddha after the fact.

2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

This I don't get... means that I can't make a sculpt of perhaps a soldier in 54mm at battle rest? Or enjoy a pretty sculpture of a tree? Why not... any thoughts?

3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain

Ok so don't curse and add god's name in the mix. Simple and I try hard for that one... don't want any thunderbolts smiting me.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy

This doesn't work anymore. Companies don't care if you're trying to keep with the scriptures... is god really going to bone you over trying to make your daily bread... even if you're not a baker?

5. Honor your father and your mother

What does honor mean really? Don't argue when dad might be making a boneheaded decision? Eat mom's tuna caserole even though it gives you really bad gas?

6. You shall not murder

I really thought it was, "Thou shalt not kill". Murder... don't walk up the street and cap your fellow men with no good reason right? What about when joe dopehead is breaking into my house to find something to help further his ongoing high... can I justifiably end his miserable existance?

7. You shall not commit adultery

So if I'm not married then can I make merry at will? I'm all for fidelity in the marriage... but if I was still a teen and feeling that big old field of wild oats... I'd want an out for a little bit of happy happy joy joy.

8. You shall not steal

Old chestnut here... is it wrong to steal for your starving family? And let us say your family preferred cigarettes over bread... would it be wrong to steal them instead?

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

I'm totally ok with this. No whys or how comes.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's

Interesting here... I don't remember anything beyond 'don't covet your neighbour's posessions' rather than the list above... and I'm assuming that god was warning against homosexuality in the 'male servant' bit. And I don't get... covet... I know what it means but what's wrong with thinking... jeeze, I love Wilson's ride on mower... I really wish I could have one like it. How does that hurt you or wilson for that matter.

Are the 10 Commandments really that useful... isn't 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' really just as valid? And this murder bit... I know it's said that when you're a soldier in rightful posession of superior officer's commands that you aren't really murdering someone... still seems a bit of a copout at time.

Are the commandments really useful these days or should they be updated?

Edit was for me missing 9 and 10 for the commandments... they just slipped right out of the pathway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ten Commandments - Three different Bible translations

First Commandment

KJV - 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

NRSV - 3 You shall have no other gods before me.

TEV - 3 Worship no god but me.

Second Commandment

KJV - 4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

NRSV - 4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

TEV - 4 Do not make for yourselves images of anything in heaven or on earth or in the water under the earth. Do not bow down to any idol or worship it, because I am the LORD your God and I tolerate no rivals. I bring punishment on those who hate me and on their descendants down to the third and fourth generation. But I show my love to thousands of generations of those who love me and obey my laws.

Third Commandment

KJV - 7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

NRSV -7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

TEV - 7 Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the LORD your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name.

Fourth Commandment

KJV - 8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

NRSV - 8 Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work. 10 But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God; you shall not do any work-you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.

TEV - 8 Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy. You have six days in which to do your work, but the seventh day is a day of rest dedicated to me. On that day no one is to work-neither you, your children, your slaves, your animals, nor the foreigners who live in your country. In six days I, the LORD, made the earth, the sky, the sea, and everything in them, but on the seventh day I rested. That is why I, the LORD, blessed the Sabbath and made it holy.

Fifth Commandment

KJV - 12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

NRSV - 12 Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

TEV - 12 Respect your father and your mother, so that you may live a long time in the land that I am giving you.

Sixth Commandment

KJV - 13 Thou shalt not kill.

NRSV - 13 You shall not murder.

TEV - 13 Do not commit murder.

Seventh Commandment

KJV - 14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

NRSV - 14 You shall not commit adultery.

TEV- 14 Do not commit adultery.

Eighth Commandment

KJV - 15 Thou shalt not steal.

NRSV - 15 You shall not steal.

TEV - 15 Do not steal.

Ninth Commandment

KJV - 16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

NRSV - 16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

TEV - 16 Do not accuse anyone falsely.

Tenth Commandment

KJV - 17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

NRSV - 17 You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

TEV - 17 Do not desire another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Persson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Ok so don't curse and add god's name in the mix. Simple and I try hard for that one... don't want any thunderbolts smiting me.

Luckily you are free to define vain by yourself... And the people from Jehova's that visit me from tmie to time is totally okey with me bursting out "oh god!" now and then. As long as I stay away from oh jehova... Good people!

Quote:
6. You shall not murder

I really thought it was, "Thou shalt not kill". Murder... don't walk up the street and cap your fellow men with no good reason right? What about when joe dopehead is breaking into my house to find something to help further his ongoing high... can I justifiably end his miserable existance?

This is one of my all time favorites! Because history has shown that it contains a secret requisite. Read out in full it actually reads "You shall not murder some people". See now, that's much looser, a whole new level of fliexibility emerges.

- Hello! I'd like to murder some people.

- That's most likely okey. I take it they're not christian?

- Well, yes... Is that going to be a problem?

- They're not very good christians are they?

- Oh, absoloutely not!

- Well then. Feel free to murder them. They're are not some people.

Well, maybe not an exact quote from history but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
mbourgeois wrote:
...should they be updated?

How about:

Quote:
Do not be arrogant in one's claims or beliefs: And pursue not that of which thou hast no knowledge; for every act of hearing, or of seeing or of the heart will be enquired into.

RSP (most of the Internet, in fact) would be empty of we followed that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
With the commandments, just like with any other biblical text, the devil is in the details.

Look at the 5th for example. Throughout history, 'honor thy father and your mother' was many times interpreted as 'respect authority'. that could be extended all the way to 'don't disagree with your priest/pastor', and a way to legitimize the power of kings as coming from the divine.

Same thing with murder. Don't kill unless the kill is considered legal in your area? If a king decides to invade the neighboring country and wipe everyone out before he wants more land, is anyone breaking a commandment?

i keep waiting for the 11th, Thou shall not destroy the planet. Since that is not there, I guess I'll be OK if I made it uninhabitable, as long as I do not lie to any kids about Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Are the 10 Commandments really that useful... isn't 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' really just as valid? And this murder bit... I know it's said that when you're a soldier in rightful posession of superior officer's commands that you aren't really murdering someone... still seems a bit of a copout at time.

Are the commandments really useful these days or should they be updated?

There's some good stuff in there. I would make the following modifications:

2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

(We can lose these three commandments right off the bat. Paranoid despotism, basically.)

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy 1. Every worker shall have two days off per week. Saturday and Sunday by default.

5. Honor your father and your mother 2. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. (Let's insert this valuable bit of christian wisdom here while we're treating people honourably).

6. 3. You shall not murder kill. (Cop-out that lets you napalm civilians removed).

7. 4. You shall not commit adultery break up with your partner if you want to sleep with someone else and he / she is not OK with that.

8. 5. You shall not steal that which you are able to buy at a fair price.

9. 6. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's
(Covet away... the thought is not the deed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This most arbitrary list is invalidated by the absence of "Thou shalt not rape," and "thou shalt not wage war."

Intolerance is easier to defend when it's written in stone--or so the intolerant would like to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koldfoot wrote:
Rape is covered under adultery and coveting.

So raping your wife is OK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for how evangelicals come down in the side of an aggressive war, I fond this wonderful nugget:

Quote:
The truth is that the world will never know peace without the Prince of Peace, and to work for peace in the absence of Jesus Christ is to directly contradict the fundamental foundations of the Christian faith. Of wars and rumors of war, "do not be alarmed, such things must happen," Jesus said, so peace between nations is simply not a significant concern for the Christian. One might even do well to say that the Christian should leave to Caesar such responsibilities that fall to Caesar. As Paul writes of the one in authority, "he does not bear the sword for nothing."

No wonder some think Catholics are heathens that are worship the whore of Babylon. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
This most arbitrary list is invalidated by the absence of "Thou shalt not rape," and "thou shalt not wage war."

Intolerance is easier to defend when it's written in stone--or so the intolerant would like to believe.

They were on the third tablet that Moses dropped
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

This doesn't work anymore. Companies don't care if you're trying to keep with the scriptures... is god really going to bone you over trying to make your daily bread... even if you're not a baker?

Works as well as it ever did. When I interview for a job I tell them I don't work on Sundays. It has yet to be a problem.

The Sabbath was made for the benefit of people. You don't take advantage of it, you're missing out. If you worked for an employer that demanded you worship other gods or commit adultery are you going to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should really follow the Jewish definition of 10 "words". And the first being "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt etc" Without it, everything that follows is meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

Works as well as it ever did. When I interview for a job I tell them I don't work on Sundays. It has yet to be a problem.

The Sabbath was made for the benefit of people. You don't take advantage of it, you're missing out. If you worked for an employer that demanded you worship other gods or commit adultery are you going to do it?

What's that priest doing in front of the church on Sundays? Is that hobby?

Anywayz, I sure appreciate the firemen coming to rescue my house on a Sunday,
or the medical staff who treats my leg because I fell of the stairs on the way to church,
or the police who comes to me, because some heathen burglar doesn't adhere Sundays,
or the guys who keep my electricity flowing on Sundays
or the guys who keep my water flowing
or
or

(Edit= more examples)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
HeinzGuderian wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

You are right. Domestic violence is OK. So is cheating on your taxes, speeding, failure to come to a complete stop, cheating on a test.

The fact that those examples aren't all right isn't the issue.

Any god who starts his 10 (most important) commandments with the first 3 covering his own interests and doesn't include something like rape, doesn't seem to be as Perfect to me as his followers want me to believe he is. That, for me, is the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The 10 commandments is a Christian view of things. There are actually 613 commandments in the 5 books of Moses. Arbitrarily limiting the discussion to 10 is perhaps intellectually dishonest. Moreover, the discussion ignores millenia of theology. "Don't kill," what how when where why. What of the doctor who turns off life support, euthenasia. Did you step on an ant today. There is a reason that the Talmud, for example, is many many volumes. This is true of any body of laws.

Honouring the Sabbath, for example, aside from what exactly that means, is by definition doable. Millions of Jews do it every week, and they all continue to earn a living. It depends on your priorities in life. They make sure to orient their livlihoods so as to facilitate this commandment. There are businesses all around me that are closed on Saturday, foregoing the day's earnings. Likewise, I am sure many Christian businesses close on Sunday, profits be damned. If it were a non-trivial matter, it wouldn't warrant a commandment, so-to-speak.

All of the points in the thread thus far are covered in the various religions' theologies. Surely, you know that there's more to Newton's three laws of motion than the simple text taught to 12 year olds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

There are businesses all around me that are closed on Saturday, foregoing the day's earnings. Likewise, I am sure many Christian businesses close on Sunday, profits be damned. If it were a non-trivial matter, it wouldn't warrant a commandment, so-to-speak.

In New York, many Jews will close businesses on Saturday, and anyone familiar with Chick-fil-a knows that they close on Sundays.

Koldfoot wrote:
HeinzGuderian wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

You are right. Domestic violence is OK. So is cheating on your taxes, speeding, failure to come to a complete stop, cheating on a test.

You can blame St. Paul for this:

St. Paul wrote:
"Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control." (1 Corinthians 7:3-5, NKJV).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

I don't believe priests should be paid for their religious duties and the priests that I see up at the front of the church on Sunday certainly aren't getting paid for it. How can enjoying religous observances count as not keeping the Sabbath day holy?

Quote:
Anywayz, I sure appreciate the firemen coming to rescue my house on a Sunday,
or the medical staff who treats my leg because I fell of the stairs on the way to church,
or the police who comes to me, because some heathen burglar doesn't adhere Sundays,
or the guys who keep my electricity flowing on Sundays
or the guys who keep my water flowing
or
or

Even Jesus recognized that it was proper to deal with emergencies as required, no matter the day.

I find Sabbath day observance to be a beneficial thing in my life so I arrange my life such that I can observe it. Doing so minimizes the number of emergencies I have to deal with and minimizes the number of my emergencies I force others to deal with.

Fortunately we live in a world with a diversity of opinion and belief and we can work out a system where people who expect nonessential services on Sunday can find someone to provide it for them.

If everyone in the world did share my beliefs about the Sabbath then I'm sure we could work out a system that allowed almost everyone off on Sunday. And those that needed to work would be able to rotate their Sundays to minimize the religious interference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

(We can lose these three commandments right off the bat. Paranoid despotism, basically.)

I disagree that these commandments represent "paranoid despotism". Respecting and adhering to one's ethical system is fundamental no matter what the perceived source of such ethics. Doing what is right, however one defines it, is more important that indulging natural inclinations. For example, if one believes killing is wrong then that person shouldn't kill, no matter how mad they get. To me, these commandments communicate that notion.

Quote:
5. Honor your father and your mother 2. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. (Let's insert this valuable bit of christian wisdom here while we're treating people honourably).

Or as said in Matthew 22:
Quote:
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Quibbling about specifics within the 10 commandments is kind of silly to me. One's actions toward their fellow humans have to be motivated by love and the golden rule. Everything else is exploitation.

Quote:

While I agree that human governments should not employ thought police, virtually no one does anything without thinking about it first. Fantasizing about breaking one's personal ethical code is a sure way to end up breaking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
rayito2702 wrote:
sbszine wrote:

I disagree that these commandments represent "paranoid despotism". Respecting and adhering to one's ethical system is fundamental no matter what the perceived source of such ethics. Doing what is right, however one defines it, is more important that indulging natural inclinations. For example, if one believes killing is wrong then that person shouldn't kill, no matter how mad they get. To me, these commandments communicate that notion.

Quote:

Or as said in Matthew 22:
Quote:
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Quibbling about specifics within the 10 commandments is kind of silly to me. One's actions toward their fellow humans have to be motivated by love and the golden rule. Everything else is exploitation.

Quote:

While I agree that human governments should not employ thought police, virtually no one does anything without thinking about it first. Fantasizing about breaking one's personal ethical code is a sure way to end up breaking it.

Tremendously well spoken. These were the points I intended to make in response to Kael.

I will add that laws are based on principles. Israel at the time that the ten commandments were given was rather like a little child who needs to be kept away from the street. At that point in a child's development, all that matters is obedience. When the child gets older, discussions about the dangers of playing in street are appropriate. Israel matured in much the same way this hypothetical child does. In articulating the two greatest commandments, Christ spoke directly to the underlying principals involved rather than speaking to specific laws as had been the paradigm up to that point.

The ten commandments are very relevant today. They are much easier to understand however, when examined in the light of the two great commandments. At the risk of sounding particularly confrontational, I would say that perhaps the OP has a superficial and unprincipled view of the ten commandments. They were given to a specific group of people at a specific time. We need to adapt their underlying principles to our lives and circumstances. Laws can change, correct principles never do. These quibbles over details are akin to the errors in the law that Christ worked to correct in his mortality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

Keep holy the sabbath,,,

It really doesn't get much more holy than saying mass, does it?

The commandment is not take a day off for the sabbath,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

Gee, my boss worships the almighty dollar. If I told him that due to my religion's requirements I forgo working on the sabbath I'm sure he'd just run right out there and make it all better.

How am I missing out by the way on not working on the sabbath? Ya wanna explain that to me please? I'll be waiting here for you to make it all clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

Keep holy the sabbath,,,

It really doesn't get much more holy than saying mass, does it?

The commandment is not take a day off for the sabbath,

The word Sabbath is derived from the Hebrew word shabbat. That is a form of the verb which means to rest, cease or end activity. The details regarding the honouring or keeping of the Sabbath is dependent on the theology of your religion. Generally, in Judeo-Christianism, the Sabbath precisely means to take a day of rest.

This is without even examining the rest of the Five Books of Moses for further discussion. Taking the text of the decalogue in an arbitrary textual vacuum is like taking a stop sign to mean to stop and never move again. People cite enough text to make a distinction and leave all the many details to further discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
rayito2702 wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

Gee, my boss worships the almighty dollar. If I told him that due to my religion's requirements I forgo working on the sabbath I'm sure he'd just run right out there and make it all better.

How am I missing out by the way on not working on the sabbath? Ya wanna explain that to me please? I'll be waiting here for you to make it all clear.

Mike, you enable it like you enable anything else in your life. You wouldn't clean the toilet if your boss asked you to and that's not something you're willing to do. You have organized your job hunting accordingly.

Likewise, for people where the sabbath is primordial in their life, they organize their life accordingly. Many millions of people have no problem whatsoever of accomplishing this. That is, it is a high priority in their life. A similar and related example is the prohibition for observant Jews from driving on the sabbath. As such, they never buy a home that is out of walking distance from the synagogue. That is, they have organized their life accordingly.

What you are or are not missing out on is subjective. A religious obervance of the sabbath disallows for the possibility of "non-rest". As such, for example, regardless of whatever problems in your life, the sabbath serves as a black box of peace. You know you cannot address your problem until Saturday evening or Monday morning as the case may be. This is most calming and liberating. I think of it like being stuck in a traffic jam and being late for work. There's not a damn thing I can do about it, so que sera sera, I flip on the radio or do a crossword; no stress.

That's only one possible benefit. Another is the removal of stress vis-a-vis "making quality time" to spend with your children.

Because of religious stricture, the decision as to whether you can or cannot take a day of rest is taken out of your hands. This facilitates a lot, especially in the case of the less fortunate (observant) who cannot "choose" to earn an extra buck. Even the poorest enjoy a day of peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a bigger issue with this thread other than whether or not the laws are still relevant, they aren't even the real Ten Commandments. There were 3 sets of commandments and only the third is actually called The Ten Commandments in the bible. They are:

1. Thou shalt worship no other god.
2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep.
4. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.
5. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks.
6. Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord God.
7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
8. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left until the morning.
9. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

There are some matches, but for the most part it looks as though God forgot what he said and just started making up crap.

I think the biggest question is why are we still arguing about these things as though they are actually sacred?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.