Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my second advanced game of TTA. Game 1 was very tense, with close scoring all the way up until the end. This game, I lost in a complete blowout.

Age A, I opened with Homer, my opponent with Moses.

I went for some military tech, and got improved farms. I never was able to get more civil actions.

My opponent was able to get out an early michaelangelo and the Basilica. He also got organized religion and a new government, so he was producing something like 18 culture per turn just from temples.

I ended up picking up Cook and 3 territories, but Cook came out too late to help.

I got opera, but due to having so many blue tokens pile up on farms, I never had the opportunity to build an one until the last turn.

In the advanced game, without Age III and war cards, it can be very hard to come back from that.

Lessons Learned:
The game will end much sooner than you expect.

3 level I farms means you are committed to spending at least 1 CA per turn building your population. This will limit all the other stuff you want to do in a turn.

FIND A WAY to get a 5th civil action.

Dont be afraid to demolish a farm if the resources it produces are overwhelming your capacity.

BEWARE an opponent who gets the Michaelangelo + Basilca in the advanced game. You might not be able to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaelangelo is absurd in the advanced game because most of the other high-powered culture leaders come out in the 2nd and 3rd age. Also the 3rd age is where military can decide things. I wouldn't play the advanced game again once you have the mechanics down, it's not really balanced IMO, which sort of obviates the need for strategy discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I didnt want to make that call with just two plays under my belt, but I was wondering about that.

With the full game, and wars for culture, it seems like a civ that goes for MA in the early game will wind down in culture production after Michaelangelo dies going into age III, and then have to defend the culture it earned.

In the advanced game, there just doesnt seem to be a way to take down a civ who gets that kind of VP engine going that early. Maybe you can knock a temple down in a raid, but thats only a speed bump.

I certainly made some tactical errors in focusing too much on farming and never getting a 5th CA, but I did wonder if that would have let me catch up.

In the future, either do the Full game, or maybe house rule that Michaelangelo is unavailable (removed from deck) in the Advanced game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
tmarozas wrote:
Interesting.

I didnt want to make that call with just two plays under my belt, but I was wondering about that.

With the full game, and wars for culture, it seems like a civ that goes for MA in the early game will wind down in culture production after Michaelangelo dies going into age III, and then have to defend the culture it earned.

In the advanced game, there just doesnt seem to be a way to take down a civ who gets that kind of VP engine going that early. Maybe you can knock a temple down in a raid, but thats only a speed bump.

I certainly made some tactical errors in focusing too much on farming and never getting a 5th CA, but I did wonder if that would have let me catch up.

In the future, either do the Full game, or maybe house rule that Michaelangelo is unavailable (removed from deck) in the Advanced game ?

Like I said, I don't think there's any reason to play the advanced game over the full game once you know the mechanics. The game is not balanced for that. If it's a time issue, just play faster. You might make tactical mistakes, but playing a full game with mistakes is better than playing a neutered advanced version. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
I'm thinking about picking this game up, but I'm worried that the play time is going to be too long. In a 2 player game, whats the play time in your experience? I fully expect a 4-player game would last a few hours, but if I was hoping to play a "quick" 2 player game in the space of less than 2 hours, would that be feasible?

Once you know how to play, the 2 player is easily done in 2 hours. On a normal TTA night, we will play 2-3 games, sometimes even 4! The fastest we have ever played has been 1 hour, using a chess clock, but we both did not enjoy the game as much because we missed out on what the other player was doing - part of the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.