Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Back over Christmas I went home and brought a couple of simple games for people to play. I played TTR with a friend of mine and his wife who "hates board games, and really hates Settlers of Catan".

Apparently she enjoyed TTR so much that they have gone out and bought a copy themselves. He has asked me if I can recommend any other games. To be honest, I like TTR when the alternative is Cluedo or something, but I much prefer heavier games, can anyone more familiar recommend anything?

I think she enjoyed it because it's not overtly competitive, and you can have fun building your own routes up even if you don't win or play optimally. I'd therefore like to recommend something that scratches the same itch, but ideally is actually quite different (ie not just another TTR or train game).

Cheers in advance,
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is Cleopatra and the Society of Architects. It's all about building stuff, isn't too competitive, looks really cool and isn't much more complicated than Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have good luck trying The Hanging Gardens. Each player is building their own garden, trying to score points by collecting tiles. There is a little competition in choosing a card to add to your garden each turn, but it doesn't feel direct or cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne or Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers perhaps? You can have fun building your own cities and roads (or forests and rivers) even if you don't win. And there are meeples. meeple I think H&G is the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis has been much more popular with the women in my family than TTR:Europe (though they like that, too). It is also an excellent 2P game.

Similar in weight to those two and very appealing is Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ulrey
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I 2nd Carcassonne and Stone Age. I also will throw in my own recommendation of Aquaretto. We enjoy Ticket to Ride too..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Petit
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubongo Is a sure bet with generally non-gamers. My mother who doesn't dig too much into boardgames always ask me to bring Ubongo along when I visit.

Villa Paletti Is another game that might get non-gamers happily playing alongside more "gamey" gamers. I know I love heavy games and I like this little game for what it is.

I also second the Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers idea. Why Hunter and Gatherer? No need for expansions to fully enjoy it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Micquebec
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Thurn and Taxis has been much more popular with the women in my family than TTR:Europe (though they like that, too). It is also an excellent 2P game.

Similar in weight to those two and very appealing is Stone Age.

Stone Age will turn her off with the worker placement and the "least worst available option" decisions that it forces.

Thurns & Taxis is right on the money though. That was my pick when I first read the question.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carc and Thurn & Taxis should work well.

He might also have luck with Alhambra or Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I think Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is probably the best bet advice from previous suggestions. Thurn and Taxis is a good game; might feel like a bit more work than TTR but if she's willing it might work.

There are lots of other light to medium games that the ladies tend to like. To name a few more...

Pandemic- I think it's light enough and the theme is attractive
Blockers!- abstract stategy, easy to explain, fast start
Wasabi!- really light fun game, playing chef but competitive
Mamma Mia!- memory mechanic in a card game, a lot of ladies will like this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My votes:

Carcassonne
Alhambra
Ubongo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad H.
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife also really enjoyed Ticket to Ride. Her other favorites in no particular order:

Kingsburg
Stone Age
Carcassonne
Zooloretto, although I hear Aquaretto is better.
Alhambra

None of these are very competitive; although, Carcassonne can get pretty cut-throat if you play it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Alhambra fits the bill.

In my experience, the same people (including women) who like TTR seem to like Alhambra as well. Both games are easy to teach, not too competitive (cutthroat), and have about the same level of strategy (very little brain strain). Despite this, it manages to be quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I think a carc variant could be good, but not sure on Pandemic even though it is cooperative. No building up etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    Pandemic is recommended to everyone right now, regardless of who they are or what they asked for. If you asked for a division-level wargame based in the South Pacific, you'd get good titles, plus a recommendation for Pandemic about ten or twelve posts down.

I will be curious to see what replaces it in that role next year.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Elfenland; it's a route game but with a different mechanic. It's by the same designer as TtR (Alan Moon) and it also won the Spiel des Jahres back in 1998...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railroad Tycoon
Chinatown

My wife "claims" to not really like strategy games but has enjoyed pretty much every one that I've introduced to her. She made me buy Blokus and even likes Age of Empires III. So don't worry too much about it...just pick a game that you like and recommend it to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    Pandemic is recommended to everyone right now, regardless of who they are or what they asked for. If you asked for a division-level wargame based in the South Pacific, you'd get good titles, plus a recommendation for Pandemic about ten or twelve posts down.

Sag.

I suggested Pandemic because of the "not overly competitive... but ideally quite different" criteria. Granted, the building up aspect is minimal (aside from the occasional research station), but I don't sprint around BGG adding Pandemic to all game recommendation threads. Oh, and it plays quite well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
caesarmom wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.

I suggested Pandemic because of the "not overly competitive... but ideally quite different" criteria. Granted, the building up aspect is minimal (aside from the occasional research station), but I don't sprint around BGG adding Pandemic to all game recommendation threads. Oh, and it plays quite well with 2.

I assure you the comment was not directed at you personally.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Baxter
United States
Bourbon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.