Subject: House Rules I Use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanilla Formula Dé is fun, but I've found that I enjoy it more when incorporating a few house rules. Some of these I've taken directly from things I've read, some I've adapted from other house rules, and some I've made up entirely.

Rolling Start -- Place the grid of cars as far back on the start/finish straight as possible with the last-place car(s) on the first space (marked by a 1 in the white margin). Set only one space between the cars instead of the normal two-space grid spacing. All cars start in 3rd gear.

Engine Damage -- Engine damage checks occur when 18-20 in 5th gear or 28-30 in 6th gear are rolled. Only the active driver checks for damage.

Redlining -- A driver may choose to spend one engine point to advance one space.

Coasting -- Should a driver lose his last engine point and blow the engine on the start/finish straight, he may attempt to coast across the finish line by shifting down each turn. A blown engine cannot be repaired by coasting into the pits.

Pits -- Blocking never occurs in the pit lane. Cars may pass through other cars and more than one car may occupy one space. Drivers may use any unoccupied pit space. The speed limit for entering and moving in the pit lane is 4th gear. If a driver enters pit lane in 5th gear, he must pay one brake point; 6th gear costs two brake points.

Weather Check -- Weather is checked at the beginning of the race as well as at predetermined points on the track. Starting weather is always temporary. Divide the total number of stops by two to find the midpoint of the track. Once the leader has exited the midmost turn, a weather check is performed. Another check is performed when the leader exits the final turn before the start/finish line. These two checkpoints remain in effect until permanent weather is declared. Permanent weather occurs as normal.

Weather Without Tires -- Weather changes may be used without requiring the simultaneous use of the tire rules. If rainy weather occurs at the beginning of or during a race, all cars slide one extra space while cornering as if they automatically have wet tires. Should the weather turn sunny again, all cars revert to normal movement. Starting weather is always temporary and permanent weather occurs as normal.

Movement Tie Breaker -- If two cars are tied and are in the same gear, the one on the inside lane in relation to the next turn goes first, as per the Formula D rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emiel van marwijk

Zevenaar
Netherlands
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House Rules are okay, we use our own set of HR too.
We have made a few adjustments:
30 points total for 'building' your car.
A powerboost wich enables the driver to move an extra 3 squares(can only be used in 4th gear and must still have 2 Engine points)
Pitlane entry and exit speed is 3rd gear.
Wing settings: Low and High setting.
Experimental Engine: can move more squares on specific die roll but chance to damage engine is also higher.
I must state that the original rules of Formula-Dé are very well written something that is not the case with a lot of other games.
Be that as it may, we felt we needed to add some extra punch to the game.
We have been playing with the 'added' rules for some time now with changes coming and going, just like real F1.

We play a race season every year, we do 10/11 races per season and it's still a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
paulmond wrote:

Engine Damage -- Engine damage checks occur when 18-20 in 5th gear or 28-30 in 6th gear are rolled. Only the active driver checks for damage.

Coasting -- Should a driver lose his last engine point and blow the engine on the start/finish straight, he may attempt to coast across the finish line by shifting down each turn. A blown engine cannot be repaired by coasting into the pits.

I would say that if you use the first rule, you would almost have to use the second. You must have a lot of DNFs due to blown engines !!!

paulmond wrote:
Redlining -- A driver may choose to spend one engine point to advance one space.

We use the same rule. Since we don't use anything like your Coasting rule, we allow you to redline your last engine point only if it gets you across the finish line. We've seen that happen more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.