Subject: I had the strangest first time BSW experience... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The word BrettSpielWelt is frequently used around in the gaming world, so I decided to go for it since my friends never have had any time to play games with me the last weeks.

Confused as I was I decided to click on the "Stone Age" icon, since I knew this game and wanted to give it a try as the first game played here. Of some strange reason the game started directly, even though I wanted at least three players. Fair enough, it works well with two and as we started playing I got a lot of opportunities to pick the food track. My opponent went quickly for the love shack and grabbed some cards (even payed 4 resources) so I thought for myself "Oh, that kind of strategy". When I reached level 5 on the food track I started to think what my opponent was doing. Is he or she (let's go with he) so smart it seems he plays badly but get a lot of secret points with the cards at the end? This isn't even the strange part.

Well, I was a bit nervous, but I did also collect cards to keep up at the same time as I tried to empty one of the hut stacks.

Still not familiar with all of the technical movements in the online game, I saw a lot of resources flying around up his scoring board. I was confused, however, later I found out he was paying resources to feed his people. How come I remembered seeing gold and stone fly among those resources? That must have been an illusion.

Even though he still was in need of food, he placed all his workers on the forest, trying to collect wood. Maybe some kind of strategic move I believed. It's harder to get wood, but just a little harder, and then you will probably have some wood left over, which you can pay cards with, in contrast to food coins. That must be the reason.

Now where is this weird, strange, strategy-genius, evil plan-thinking man heading? There he struck! Placing most of his workers on the gold, I thought: "Oh now, here comes the perfectly evil plan..."
And could there be any one more paranoid than me? Guess what happens at the end of the round. All the collected gold is payed to feed his villages. I've heard of Bark Bread, but this is ridiculous.

I ended the game by building the last hut in one of the piles, after which I passed 100 points. He had -7 by that time. After the card counting my final score was 301 and his 102.

This game was very strange, especially as I had in mind that everyone on this site are experts except me because I'm new here. Apparently I was way of being right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange. That type of borderline incompetent play seems rare on BSW. It is true that a lot of people on there have a game they love and play obsessively, or maybe people who spend a lot of time there play 6 or 8 games obsessively, given how quickly you can play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you check your opponent's win %?

Stone Age features some of the worst players you can find for a game on BSW. The average level of quality for a player just isn't up there, compared to games like San Juan, Ingenious or Tichu.

I have seen Stone Age opponents who played as badly as you described. Thankfully, it was always in 3 or 4-player games so the rest of us still had something to play for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Nisoff
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Not only have I never faced anyone that bad, most people I play never seem to make a mistake, and maul me. I don't know if I'm any good, but I routinely win the (few) b&m games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I didn't check his wins... It feels like he only was testing the game for the first time or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
301 seems like a very good score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.