Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recall some folks mentioning the strategy of detaching a sacrificial Assault Team from a unit for purposes of recon.

I wanted to try this on my last mission, but I could not find an Assault Team marker with an S volume of fire (they all appear to have A VOF). I *thought* I recall some rule that an LAT cannot have a higher VOF than the original good order unit. If this is true, then is Detaching an Assault team from a Plt Unit (VOF = S) considered illegal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is legal and allowable as an action to detach an assault team. Just make sure you're using the correct unit - it should be the one that says "Assault Tm" with stats of "A" and "P". Meaning it has an Automatic VoF at point blank range.

No ammo is tracked either for the assault team as they can only attack enemy units located on the same card as them (thus "point blank range").

EDIT: One of the original assault team counters from the game does not have the "P" range on it - that is a typo... All the others I believe have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a go my next mission.

Edit to add: The rule I was originally thinking of was "You can never have a unit rally such that it ends up with more firepower than it started with." Obviously that doesn't apply when detaching units ... I should have read it closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. The rules definitely could have been written more clearly - glad you're sticking around to try and figure them out - I think you'll find a very enjoyable game in FoF...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
You probably know this already, but hidden away on the LAT available commands page of the rulebook is the critical information that assault teams are Line, unlike most other LATs which are Green. That's why they are great reconn units. Fire teams have -1 on their 'to hit' chart, assault teams don't.
Sure they won't be able to shoot back at most of what they find because of their range limitation, but they have a reasonable chance of surviving that first 'exposed' combat. then when they are not exposed and have found some cover they can convert to a fire team and shoot back if you can't otherwise reinforce them.
Thanks,
Howard Posner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by -1 on their 'to hit' chart. They are better spotters, and they have a different "Hit Effect" ... is that what you were referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry,
very badly written thread response by me. Ignore the -1 reference, it's wrong. By being Line they have less chance of imploding when they are hit,as they check for damage on the L rather than G results column.If they get pinned they have an extra card draw compared to Green teams when trying to rally. They also get 1 extra card draw when checking to seek cover (which they often do in the general initiative phase having just advanced onto a PC card) which in turn feeds directly into their chance of getting hit.
For all these reasons I find them a better choice than a fire team as forward reconn despite their range limitations.
Thanks,
Howard Posner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that fire teams can only move towards friendly held cards or back to the staging area, so they can't really recon anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Posner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I've been playing the game wrong. Fortunately I decided not to use fire teams to advance and reconn. PCs, although not becasue they weren't allowed to.

thanks,
Howard Posner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that is why this game can be difficult to try and play - some of those kinds of nuances are not always obvious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it is possible for a Combat Outpost to one move and two rallied to an assualt team?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.