Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to like this game. I love the concept of building and exploring a dungeon, and I'm a fan of the comic, and playing a unique character is a real plus. But there are some pretty big gaps in the game that make it difficult to get into--especially the rulebook, as what a convoluted piece of crap that was. It could have easily been 10 pages rather than 35, and made more sense at the same time.

Anyways, we've already decided to increase the loot pickup by 1 to speed things up collection wise; it just seemed that at deeper levels the loot would be piling up, and we were having enough of a time collecting the goods one level 2. Maybe we've got the wrong idea of snagging loot, but it seems that if you wait to go back to a room later to get the goods, more monsters will jump out and the piles will just grow.

Also, what is the best number of players for the game? I've played a 2p with my dad and it was hysterically fun, but with 4 it just dragged on and got boring with the long turnaround.

But it's the assistance mechanism that really bugs me. It just doesn't make sense that (1) a player can assist me from anywhere on the current floor, (2) that the bonus is just a result of the drool factor instead of their abilities, and (3) that there doesn't seem to be any incentive not to help someone. We'll play the Munchkin series every now and then, so we're used to a more interactive helper mechanism--the helper is involved in the combat, can suffer the consequences of failure, etc.

So I'm looking for ways to improve the game and have it make more sense, especially where assistance comes into play. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's what I've been thinking, to make the assistance more Munchkin-like and add more player interaction:

NPC assistance is per the rules, by offering loot for +2/face.

PC assistance, however goes like this:
(1) The assisting PC must be within 1 or 2 rooms.
(2) There can be any exchange of loot/services to strike a deal--as in payment from their own loot or, if the assistance is to kill the last monster in the room, from the loot that is immediately grabbed. Multiple pieces of loot can be promised, and the faces don't really need to match (although obviously matching faces would be worth more to the deal).
(3) Upon agreement, the assisting PC is moved to the room of the battle!
(4) The assisting PC selects a battle shtick as if it were their own battle, and adds their bonus to the main PC--their bonuses just combine and there is only one die roll.
(5) If they win, the main PC gets the experience and the loot is exchanged per the agreement (barring any Screw This! cards). If they lose, they both suffer the consequences.

I think I like this idea, because the proximity requires the players to stick together more, which adds the possibilities of PvP battles, especially since the assisting PC has to join the main PC in the same room. And there is the added incentive to NOT help someone, as they are endangering themselves in the process. It just feels more like Munchkin, which I feel has a very good henchman mechanism.

Any suggestions to tweak this would be very welcome :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree with you about the rulebook. Some parts were, seems to me, in the wrong places. We played with 4 players and it, some parts, drag a whole lot when we had to look up rules here and there. In fact, we still don't know how to find to stairs. The stupid rulebook says that at the end of a player's turn, they can look for the stairs in the room. But they don't tell you what that all in tells. Do we roll the dice or what? The game could be fun, if the rules were more helpful, and the game didn't last for hours. The time didn't bother so much if it wasn't for that rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you about the rulebook. Some parts were, seems to me, in the wrong places. We played with 4 players and it, some parts, drag a whole lot when we had to look up rules here and there. In fact, we still don't know how to find to stairs. The stupid rulebook says that at the end of a player's turn, they can look for the stairs in the room. But they don't tell you what that all in tells. Do we roll the dice or what? The game could be fun, if the rules were more helpful, and the game didn't last for hours. The time didn't bother so much if it wasn't for that rulebook!

For what it's worth, the stairs rules are "conveniently" tucked into a side bar on page 9, under Elan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did find it after awhile. They should've put that part with rest of the stair section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.