Subject: Bonus Scoring Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I played this for the first time the other day, first the Basic Game (with another newbie and the game owner), then the Full Game, adding in a fourth veteran to our three. I pulled off a late game surge to win mainly on the backs of some good bonus scoring cards and some key wonders (Eiffel Tower at the beginning of Age 3/Fast Food in the last turn) after spending most of the game in third. The player who was in fourth for most of the game, the other new player, finished a close second behind me.

I'm sure that part of what enabled me to make that late surge is that the two leaders throughout the game spent most of Age 3 racked in a military struggle for supremacy, with several wars, agressions, and so on. They seemed to be giving us both the benefit of the doubt, or at least just viewed each other as the biggest threats. That's normal and I don't expect I will ever have that benefit again which is just fine by me.

I really enjoyed the game and will probably pick it up, but my one concern is how determinative of victory the Age 3 bonus cards seemed to be. I drew the military and colonial scoring cards and discarded them. Is this just pure luck? I think I gained at least fifty points in the final scoring which the game long leader could not because cards matching his empire were not present. Is this a common problem? It remains the only potential area of concern I have about this otherwise brilliant and delightful game, that luck of the draw might determine the final standings more than long term strategic plans. I know I have limited experience with the game, which is why I present the question here. How much of an issue is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of course there is some luck of the draw.

But. Age III events favor those with better infrastructure over those with more VP. So be aware of that earlier in the game when making choices of infrastructure vs. VP generation.

And they also reward those with many military actions. It is crucial to be picking up 3 military cards per turn in Age III for just this reason: you want to find the events that help you. That generally means you have 5 or 6 military actions per turn so you can do this in addition to whatever military activity you want to do.

Beginners tend to undervalue having many military actions. Don't make that mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danweasel wrote:
I really enjoyed the game and will probably pick it up, but my one concern is how determinative of victory the Age 3 bonus cards seemed to be. I drew the military and colonial scoring cards and discarded them. Is this just pure luck?

It's not pure luck, drawing more cards will give you more selection. If the other players were using lots of military actions for wars and aggressions and building military units, then part of the cost is that they aren't drawing and playing events.

I think there are lots of bigger luck factors in the game than drawing good Age III events. Drawing (or not drawing) decent tactics cards, or wars, can be a much bigger factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As the previous posters have referenced, you want to draw as many Military cards as possible to increase the chance of drawing cards that benefit you. It is also critical to increase the number of Military actions you have so that you can hold on to more cards: having the ability to hold five or six cards to your opponents' two or three gives you incredible flexibility when it comes to holding a card that might benefit you later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
danweasel wrote:
I really enjoyed the game and will probably pick it up, but my one concern is how determinative of victory the Age 3 bonus cards seemed to be. I drew the military and colonial scoring cards and discarded them. Is this just pure luck?

It's not pure luck, drawing more cards will give you more selection. If the other players were using lots of military actions for wars and aggressions and building military units, then part of the cost is that they aren't drawing and playing events.

I think there are lots of bigger luck factors in the game than drawing good Age III events. Drawing (or not drawing) decent tactics cards, or wars, can be a much bigger factor.

Exactly the point I was going to make. I had something similar happen to me except it wasn't wars but Rob. I used Rob twice to change goverments and, even though both changes were positive, it did mean that twice I was unable to draw Age III military cards which was the balancing factor. In the end, I lost by about 10 points so these factors seem to balance out pretty well just like the rewards for aggressions and wars should balance out the loss of military cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I dont have the rules in front of me, but I think the variants page has an option if you dont like the randomness of the age III scoring cards.

I think its something like you take all scoring events out of deck III, reveal 2 at the beginning of age I, 1 at age II and 1 at age III. I can check later on...

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Beginners tend to undervalue having many military actions. Don't make that mistake.

More military actions = more military cards = more chance of getting what you want more chance of keeping from the other players what they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.