Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

So, what's up with Zev snubbing the Granite State? I was playing 1960 on GTO and played "New England" as Kennedy. When tried to place JFK cubes in New Hampshire, the game wouldn't let me. "Stupid technology" I thought. Then I went and reread the card in my gamebox (2nd edn). Sure enough, NH isn't listed....but New York is. I won't get into whether New York is a genuinely New England state (it's not). But what gives with ignoring New Hampshire? I presume this was just a mistake?

Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember..... What's the card say?
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card text, second edn:

"The Kennedy player may add a total of 5 state support in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont, no more than 2 per state"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough electoral votes, I suspect. I'm guessing they wanted the big NY 45 in there for game balance reasons, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same number as Rhode Island (4) which is included, and only 1 less than Maine (5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justnord wrote:
Hi guys,

So, what's up with Zev snubbing the Granite State? I was playing 1960 on GTO and played "New England" as Kennedy. When tried to place JFK cubes in New Hampshire, the game wouldn't let me. "Stupid technology" I thought. Then I went and reread the card in my gamebox (2nd edn). Sure enough, NH isn't listed....but New York is. I won't get into whether New York is a genuinely New England state (it's not). But what gives with ignoring New Hampshire? I presume this was just a mistake?

Justin

Well, since it's clearly impossible that an omission like this could have slipped through two editions of the game before anyone noticed it, it's obviously got to be something else, right? The real answer is left as an exercise for the reader...

Actually, I have no explanation for why New Hampshire didn't make it onto this card. It does seem like it should have. I can, however, verify that New York was included not only for card balance but also because the Kennedy family's political connections into Democratic machine politics throughout New England definitely extended into New York's party apparatus. So, while New York is not technically part of New England, there was sufficient thematic basis to support incorporating it into the effects of this card for balance.

Wait! I want to change my New Hampshire answer. There were also... complex historical factors? Which were, um, unique to New Hampshire? And weakened the family's influence over the Democratic party organization there? That sounds plausible, right? Yes, let's go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I always debate whether New York is supposed to be on that card. I argued that it was in there for game balance (at least that's what I say when I'm Kennedy).

Thank you for the answer, Mr. Leonhard, and thanks for supporting your game on here. Very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you ever make a 3rd edition of the game, you'll have no excuse not to add New Hampshire back into this card. Just think of all the insulted 1960 gamers out there in New Hampshire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.