Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Been mulling this one over as a possible variant/optional rule, and asking for comment.

During the war, airborne forces were occasionally transported to theaters as a rapid response force. For instance, when the Allies invaded Algeria and Morocco, the Germans responded by air transporting a Fallschirmjager division to Tunisia to help with the defense. To account for this, I suggest the following variant, as an addition to rule 5.22:

"Ground-support and airborne units may strat-move over Sea-zones by flying directly between friendly areas that are joined by an Air-Route; they do not use Sea-Transport if flown directly in this manner." (Addition in red text.)

I'd appreciate commentary on historical character and game balance. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes sense to me. It adds a missing element to the game. I'd like to hear what the creators and playtesters think as to how this might destabilize the game, but I do like the idea of division transport by air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i would say if it helps the axis, use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
To follow up (and I shoulda put this in the original post): My initial take is that this rule helps the Axis, and particularly the Germans. It makes the German and Italian airborne units much more useful, as they're able to be strat-moved to Norway or Africa without the use of fleet points. This is probably only a modest help to the Allies, as they don't have many opportunities to use it, and they usually command the seas by the time they're allowed airborne builds, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I LOVE your suggestion. More than once I have had to spend special actions to lauch airborne units from Sicily to North Africa just to get some extra units over there. (Since I'm going friendly area to friendly area I'm not even sure this is legal) so I think you have a great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I would not be in favour for a number of reasons.

Each block represents a corps roughly. This means a division is not even going to come to a single pip. There is therefore no historical precedent for shipping an airborne corps by air. A single pip can be represented by taking replacements (which are not subject to interdiction).

Transporting an airborne corps will need just as many transports as dropping them by parachute. The SA partially represents this investment. No SA no transports.

This optional would favour the axis (as noted above) since it would make reinforcing N Africa easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.