Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has been trying to spice up Race a little bit, because it's starting to get stale for some. We came up with the following variant, which was well received by 5 of the 6 people who have played it.

Play a 4 player game according to all the usual rules, including no collusion about action choices. Your team score is the sum of you and your teammates score. We introduce a new action, cultural exchange, which happens before explore. If you pick cultural exchange, you may give a card to your teammate, face down. Other players (including your teammate, if he didn't play the action) may give cards to their teammate, but must discard two cards to do so. We just put a marker on the front of one of the extra settle cards as the new cultural exchange card.

I am considering adding some new cards with cultural exchange powers, such as a spy card that makes opponents exchange cards face up and a signal jammer that you can discard to block exchanges for a turn.

We also might want to change the rules on shared goals, because it's a bit weird to be punished for splitting a goal with your teammate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I play RftG with more than 2 so infrequently, I hadn't even thought about possible team play. The cultural exchange action sounds interesting, I'd be keen to play a few games trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My play group tried a different teamplay variant. We didn't add any extra phases. Instead, whenever discarding cards you may choose to place one of the discarded cards in front of your teammate. We put it under a poker chip to identify it and separate it from other cards (and no peeking!). If there is already a card there, this option is not available and all discards must go to the discard pile as normal. The set aside card can be drawn by that player during Explore phase, but only if that player has an eye power (or called Explore, which has an eye power). If drawn, draw one fewer card from the draw pile to draw the correct total amount. The spot is then available for reuse, if your teammate chooses to discard another card there.

For scoring we ended up using the product instead of the sum, to reward balanced progress. To support 5-player games we used asymmetrical teammate relationships. You can give the player to your left a card, and your score is combined with his. His score is combined with the player to his left, and so on. In this case there is typically a single winner, and often it is not the player with the highest individual score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qubits wrote:
My play group tried a different teamplay variant. We didn't add any extra phases. Instead, whenever discarding cards you may choose to place one of the discarded cards in front of your teammate. We put it under a poker chip to identify it and separate it from other cards (and no peeking!). If there is already a card there, this option is not available and all discards must go to the discard pile as normal. The set aside card can be drawn by that player during Explore phase, but only if that player has an eye power (or called Explore, which has an eye power). If drawn, draw one fewer card from the draw pile to draw the correct total amount. The spot is then available for reuse, if your teammate chooses to discard another card there.

For scoring we ended up using the product instead of the sum, to reward balanced progress. To support 5-player games we used asymmetrical teammate relationships. You can give the player to your left a card, and your score is combined with his. His score is combined with the player to his left, and so on. In this case there is typically a single winner, and often it is not the player with the highest individual score.

Does this mean that, for example, if you choose to settle a military world, you can't give a card to your teammate, but if you settled an ordinary world, you could give a card to your teammate? Also, you can give a card if you overflow at the end of the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we chose to allow it any time you discard a card from hand, including beginning hand selection, Explore phase discards, development and world payment, consume and produce powers, and end of turn overflow. Cards discarded from tableau are not eligible. We didn't find not being to pass a card when settling a military world limiting- there are plenty of opportunities to pass a card. Instead, drawing a passed card is often the limiting factor, often requiring a sacrifice in tempo by choosing Explore or playing a card with an eye that might not have otherwise been played (or played later).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The current version of our team play variant eschews the cultural exchange before explore phase includes and instead includes two new alternate dev and settle cards. Under the culture exchange dev and cultural exchange settle, you can build onto your teammates tableau as though it were your own during the corresponding phase. If you happen to duplicate the same devs, it's kosher, but only if they happen on the same turn.

The previous variant has a problem with produce/consume being too dominant. Here is a meta proof that produce consume is too strong in the naive team play variant, assuming produce consume is balanced in 2 player advanced. Accept that one big counter strategy to produce consume is tableau filling. Assume that one half of the team sets up a nice consumption engine, and the other half just calls produce every turn. It becomes sort of like a 2 player advanced game where the only way to have two builds is calling a dev/settle (dev/dev and settle/settle will only cause one of the phases to activate), and furthermore, you can't even guarantee that your team will call a dev and a settle to fill a tableau, since communication is banned. Tableau filling dies a two pronged death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see an official team variant tested thoroughly by the designers and included in The Brink of War (or the next arc) rulebook... They've done so well with the solo version and everything else, i think they could create a really amazing teamplay ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
Assume that one half of the team sets up a nice consumption engine, and the other half just calls produce every turn.

We encountered the same issue for our style. When we switched to using the product of scores (rather than sum), it wasn't a problem any more because a high and a low score netted a mediocre combined result. The pair that cooperated best in both directions tended to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the build on teammate's tableau fix, because it adds a lot of interesting tactical decisions with the interplay with the goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brough
msg tools
mbmb
We've played something similar: two people playing as two players each, taking the lowest of the two scores as the final score. Taking minimum also encourages cooperation, might be better than product, not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.